Fuel Station OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Fuel Station OXP

Post by Thargoid »

As I seem to be on a roll of creating OXPs as offshoots from one I haven't finished yet, have another one...

Are you a Commander on the go, in a hurry and don't have time to dock to get your fuel? Then make use of our new fly-thru fuel station. These appear in most systems of tech level 4+ which have progressed beyond Anarchy and Feudal status. At a charge of only 2cr/ly, these stations simply allow you to fly in, tank up and fly out again, all without leaving the comfort of your pilot chair.

Two locations can appear, near the witchpoint (2 in 3 chance) and half-way between the witchpoint and the planet (3 in 4 chance). All are monitored by CCTV to deter vandalism and damage.

- = = Download Fuel Station OXP here = = -
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

very nice, you always need a good fuel station
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nifty! I might embellish the model with collectors and storage tanks. If that's ok with you herr führend Insekt
JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Post by JameSpal »

Genius idea. Works beautifully.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Great!!

First we had the fuel tank, then the fuel collector and now this. Nova and long way around missions will suffer even more deeply. I will strongly suggest for all of you JS experts to also find a way to upgrade at least the long way around oxp in a way that the player will not be able to use all those gadgets and new possibilities during the mission. A strike in the fuel stations, or (and) a shortage in fuel tanks after the initiation of the long way for example.

I know, I know if you do not want to cheat do not install them (but I will, I will …as everybody else!! :wink: Am I right)

By the way great job Trargoid !!! :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

ClymAngus wrote:
Nifty! I might embellish the model with collectors and storage tanks. If that's ok with you herr führend Insekt
Sure, no problem at all. If I get chance later I'll upload a little zip file with the obj file in it for you if that helps.

Editted - grabbed a bit of time, making files are here
Last edited by Thargoid on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ark wrote:
First we had the fuel tank, then the fuel collector and now this. Nova and long way around missions will suffer even more deeply. I will strongly suggest for all of you JS experts to also find a way to upgrade at least the long way around oxp in a way that the player will not be able to use all those gadgets and new possibilities during the mission. A strike in the fuel stations, or (and) a shortage in fuel tanks after the initiation of the long way for example.
I wouldn't see the fuel tanks as that much of a problem, as you still have to carry them (and are limited by your pylon space), and the more you have the less missiles you have and so are less well defended.

Fuel station (and anything else that gives fuelling opportunities like Constore/trading outpost, plus dockable ships) and the fuel collector are more difficult. I could make it so that fuel stations don't appear on the long way round route, but that seems a bit of a fudge. But that said they don't always appear (there are limits by tech level, system government and also random chance, see my first post) so it's not as bad as it may be.

Personally I wouldn't see it as much of a problem, as longway will still take a while to do even if you just jump/fuel/jump etc, and by doing so you're missing out on all the trading opportunities anyway (unless you trade at Constores).
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thargoid wrote:
Personally I wouldn't see it as much of a problem, as longway will still take a while to do even if you just jump/fuel/jump etc, and by doing so you're missing out on all the trading opportunities anyway (unless you trade at Constores).
Yes i know!! and you are right.The main reason for adding a constore only in a 4+ billion planet is the problem above

But it would be a very nice touch if after the first mission screen of the long way round in the next dock the palyer receives an info screen "General strike in fuel stations or constores!!" Can you imagine their faces when there are going to see that :twisted: (althought i am not sure if this is possible via JS) i just had an idea that i want to share nothing more.That was not a criticism to you oxp.
Last edited by Ark on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It should easily be do-able if the LongWay mission writes its status to a missionVariable. Might get a bit complex if you try and limit it to the LW region though.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

<shameless plug>May I kindly draw your attention to the possibility of refueling directly from other ships as well, made possible through interstellar_help.oxp 2.0?</shameless plug>
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

This type of all around fuel spoils some missions. Fuel pods already started with it, but that did at least cost a free missile pylon. This will spoil the nova mission. But all the other fuel things also do. More and more people miss this nova mission because they don't dock at the main station anymore to get their initial briefing to start the mission. The just refuel and jump further.

The nova mission does try to send away all other ships, but I don't think it will send away stations like your fuel station. Better also include a System.sun.isGoingNova check in your conditions. At your script time the nova mission will have already started the nova.

System.sun.isGoingNova is new in 1.72 System.isGoingNova is deprecated. I just noticed the current nova mission is still using the old notation.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You mean system.sun.goingNova? That's what it's listed as in the wiki (or strictly system.goingNova there, but I take your comment about the switch to include the sun).

I'll look over longway.oxp and upload a tweaked version tonight if I get chance that deals with both. But I would also then recommend that other OXP and large ship creators might also want to do a similar review.

For me longway was a long time ago, and I must admit I've never actually had the Nova mission myself.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thargoid wrote:
You mean system.sun.goingNova? That's what it's listed as in the wiki (or strictly system.goingNova there, but I take your comment about the switch to include the sun).
Since the constores apear very near the witchpoint I will be the first that i will copy & paste :oops: that contition in the script of youradhere
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Compatibility issues

Post by Lestradae »

Must say I have a different take on the fuel / missions compatibility question.

In the beginning (and Long Way Around was the VERY beginning) there was no way to predict which new possibilities the oxp system would create.

So today, there are problems with the very first oxps and missions that were created for Oolite. Too many ships to find that elusive mission ship(s), too much fuel to accomodate missions that need fuel scarcity, too many everything.

Well, so the solution could be

1) ... to narrow Oolite's potential for new oxps down again and cap the creativity of its contributers so that the older oxps can stay as they are indefinitely, or

2) ... rework the older oxps a bit (as has happened already with Behemoth, Thargoid Wars, Charlie's ships, and actually quite some others) so that they keep up to date with the newer developments.

My take would be that solution 2) is much more desirable, as I don't want a narrow vision for Oolite - namely, to be just some sort of Elite clone - I want it to be what Elite could have been if they could have utilised today's possibilities.

I myself am absolutely ready to tweak the stuff I produce so that it is as compatible as possible with as many other oxp's as possible - but I for one draw the line where I can't do something interesting just so that some holy cow (I see the stones incoming already :wink: ) can stay forever as it is.

And I would not expect that from any other dev or oxp contributer as well. Because, if you don't like it - don't install it.

Anyone who disagrees is of course 100% entitled to think differently.

Those are my 0.2 Cr

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What I'm going to do is stop the fuel stations appearing at all in systems which are going nova, and drop the chances of them appearing when the long way round mission is running.

At the moment the chances are 3 in 4 and 2 in 3 (route one / witchpoint respectively). When LWR is running, those chances will drop to 1 in 5 and 1 in 10 regardless of where the player is on the map (although they still won't appear if tech level or govt type is too low).

That way people on LWR can get the occasional assist, but not too often.

I'll upload it this evening, as I don't have access to box.net from here.