Orbits.OXP - Sun and Lightsource Don't Line Up.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Orbits.OXP - Sun and Lightsource Don't Line Up.

Post by JameSpal »

I searched, but I couldn't even find a reference to Orbits.oxp here. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

With Orbits.oxp installed, the sun and the lightsource no longer line up in the system.

Not that big of a deal really, the only noticeable effect is that you can no longer use the planets bright side to steer you in the direction of the sun. Only an annoyance until you can afford the Advanced Compass.
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

Hello JameSpal,

I noticed that as well. Obviously the planet illumination is done before Orbits moves the planets to their new position. I was told by Ahruman that he already knows what the problem is and that he is working on it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Er, am I? Gosh. :-)
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ah, no. In that post you talked about moving the sun. Now you said you’re moving the planets and the light isn’t updating, which seems far less likely.
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

In order to keep the distances of witchpoint and orbital station to the main planet stable Orbits moves all but the main planet to their new positions. After that it simulates time dependent movement of the main plain by rotating the other planets and the sun around the main planet in the inverse direction. Thus as in farsun the sun gets a new position. I guess there is just a single problem.