Asteroid Storm

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Asteroid Storm

Post by Eric Walch »

*** Asteroid Storm ***

I just uploaded a version of little bears of asteroid storm as version 3.50. You need this new version for doing the mission with Oolite 1.72.1+. For only seeing the asteroids the old one probably still will be fine.

Downloadpage: Asteroid Storm 3.50

For Oolite 1.71 and 1.72.1+ No changes in functionality. I only lowered the frequency of the two large asteroids but i gave them a script to generate more boulders when shot at with a mining laser.

Technical stuff:
The last version was 3.46 and was adapted for Oolite 1.70. It did work with 1.71 although giving deprecation warnings in the log. With Oolite 1.72 one function was broken.

This new version won't work anymore with Oolite 1.70. Version 1.71 should still be fine but I didn't test it.
Oolite 1.72 has a bug that could crash asteroid Storm, but I thoroughly tested it with 1.72.1. I think I tested all possibilities. I don't know if Q-mining worked in the past, but now a q-mine will definitely not only destroy the asteroid but also also wipe out the station.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Asteroid Storm

Post by ClymAngus »

Eric Walch wrote:
*** Asteroid Storm ***

I just uploaded a version of little bears of asteroid storm as version 3.50. You need this new version for doing the mission with Oolite 1.72.1+. For only seeing the asteroids the old one probably still will be fine.

For Oolite 1.71 and 1.72.1+ No changes in functionality. I only lowered the frequency of the two large asteroids but i gave them a script to generate more boulders when shot at with a mining laser.

Technical stuff:
The last version was 3.46 and was adapted for Oolite 1.70. It did work with 1.71 although giving deprecation warnings in the log. With Oolite 1.72 one function was broken.

This new version won't work anymore with Oolite 1.70. Version 1.71 should still be fine but I didn't test it.
Oolite 1.72 has a bug that could crash asteroid Storm, but I thoroughly tested it with 1.72.1. I think I tested all possibilities. I don't know if Q-mining worked in the past, but now a q-mine will definitely not only destroy the asteroid but also also wipe out the station.
AAHH! I hate this oxp! Right that's it it's getting a kirk solution.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
*** Asteroid Storm ***

Technical stuff:

AAHH! I hate this oxp! Right that's it it's getting a kirk solution.
If an experienced pilot like Clym can't beat it without resorting to 'reprogramming the simulator', then I recon a plebe jameson doesn't stand much chance, either.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
If an experienced pilot like Clym can't beat it without resorting to 'reprogramming the simulator', then I recon a plebe jameson doesn't stand much chance, either.
It was Kaks that made it much harder than Little Bears original. The original version had an asteroid strength of 900. In this version the asteroid has a strength of 1100 when the player has a score <95 and 2000 when he has a higher score. So for a Jameson it is really made easier.

The asteroid is a bit random placed. And because a more distant asteroid gives more time to hit, Kaks added code to increase the energy a bit, depending on the asteroid<->station distance. This means a far away asteroid not even needs to be easier to destroy.

All these variables make that the difficulty varies with every try. And I am sure Kaks tested it thoroughly and put the energy at a level that the player will not always succeed. There should be a challenge. A player with a score below 95 probably has only beam lasers. Above the 95 you really need 2 military lasers (front and aft) and some missiles.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

man, I slapped 8 missiles. for and aft military then sat in between the station and the asteroid staring it down mining laser on dead centre (what the hell is the point surviving the mission if you don't win?)

Anndd I once again had a ring side seat for the km long fender bender.

out of interest does the asteroid spawn from the second the notice comes up or the moment you actually get out there?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
man, I slapped 8 missiles. for and aft military then sat in between the station and the asteroid staring it down mining laser on dead centre (what the hell is the point surviving the mission if you don't win?)

Anndd I once again had a ring side seat for the km long fender bender.

out of interest does the asteroid spawn from the second the notice comes up or the moment you actually get out there?
Oof! :!:

That's a hell of a lot of firepower to throw into a rock. Not even a Tharg carrier can withstand that much abuse. :shock: WTH is that rock composed of? Something that's laser and missile-proof, apparently...
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

mabey its Dolomite

"the mineral that doesnt cop out, when there heat about"

or it could be pure Titanium, or ilminite, which is the titanium ore, so when its heated, it turns into titanium!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

ClymAngus wrote:
It is added on launch so you have plenty time to read the briefing. On adding the new commands to the script, I did all the testings with a boa mk2. Meaning 5 missiles and 2 military lasers. I not always cleared the job but I think in more than 2/3 of the cases. And I am convinced Kaks also tested it with a cobra and hitscore below the 95. But it is a difference to put an experienced player in a novice ship or being a real novice. If it is really to difficult it can be graded down but I think it is still a challenge.

Rocks added further away than 7000 meter from the station get a increasing strength with distance above the 7000 m. I think you should do some more tries. And maybe Kaks did make it to hard for for novices and the stronger rocks should only be there with a higher hit score. However with your reputation it should not be a to big problem.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I'm going to be switching in and out save files till 3am I can feel it now.

I would target it with some turrets but they appear to be on the fritz too now. (I think my copy of oolite is shagged as the turrets on the dragon don't work either and I KNOW that code on them are sound).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
I'm going to be switching in and out save files till 3am I can feel it now.

I would target it with some turrets but they appear to be on the fritz too now. (I think my copy of oolite is shagged as the turrets on the dragon don't work either and I KNOW that code on them are sound).
Hold on before panicking, Clym. I'm guessing you tried to get a turret flak barrage going on that damned asteroid.
If that's the case, it's a no-go. Autoturrets will only fire on a targeted hostile, and rocks remain neutral no matter what you do. To test the turrets, attack some ships and get turrets to engage as soon as the scanner blip turns red.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

*Blink*
Whaat!?! 6 *&£%ing months orbiting a broken-up fuel tanker emergency beacon on the far end of Isanlequ's sun?!?

Stupid defective escape pod: 'guaranteed fastest route to the nearest station' my left pseudopod...

<RL>Stupid work.. still, I should be getting a bit of free time soon. Yay credit crunch! :twisted:</RL>
Eric Walch wrote:
It was Kaks that made it much harder than Little Bears original. The original version had an asteroid strength of 900. In this version the asteroid has a strength of 1100 when the player has a score <95 and 2000 when he has a higher score. So for a Jameson it is really made easier.

The asteroid is a bit random placed. And because a more distant asteroid gives more time to hit, Kaks added code to increase the energy a bit, depending on the asteroid<->station distance. This means a far away asteroid not even needs to be easier to destroy.

All these variables make that the difficulty varies with every try. And I am sure Kaks tested it thoroughly and put the energy at a level that the player will not always succeed. There should be a challenge. A player with a score below 95 probably has only beam lasers. Above the 95 you really need 2 military lasers (front and aft) and some missiles.

Thank you Cmdr Walch! :)

I did test it with a jameson(<95 score), and could destroy the asteroid with 2 missiles & 2 beam lasers about 80% of the time. Above 95 fore & aft mil laser & a side beam laser would do the trick quite nicely too...

IIRC, the big asteroid has got an exceptionally dense nickel core, which - aside from disrupting the station's shields - would withstand a lot more heat & explosives than your standard hollow spaceship - at least that's my excuse....

The initial strength of the asteroid is about 1100, 1500 , 2000 or 2700 depending on time before impact and pilot's experience...

Btw Eric, IIRC there's a bit of code to recharge the asteroid's strength somewhat (again proportional to the initial distance/time before impact). In most cases you should still be able to destroy the asteroid, or - annoyingly at times - an NPC destroys it and you're credited with just helping when you did 90% of the job.

Still, I personally like it when the station is hit... more often than not instead of exploding immediately, it becomes a doomed station which you can dock to for one last time... :)

...and it's an excellent source of metals once it's exploded! ;)

ClymAngus, as Cmdr Wyvern was saying, I'm afraid there's no way to destroy this puppy with turrets... using a few missiles then switching between fore & aft lasers is the way to do it!

Cheers,

Kaks :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Look guys!!! mother Terresa is back
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome back Kaks!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Hold on before panicking, Clym. I'm guessing you tried to get a turret flak barrage going on that damned asteroid.
If that's the case, it's a no-go. Autoturrets will only fire on a targeted hostile, and rocks remain neutral no matter what you do. To test the turrets, attack some ships and get turrets to engage as soon as the scanner blip turns red.
Yeah, I should have split those sentences up a little. I did have a feeling that the object had to be hostile for you to gun it. So that was something of a faint hope. The other major problem I had recently was after slapping in some more oxp's in, my older version of oolite stopped firing turrets at all. Moved up to the new version and everything was good again. Weird.

One thing I did find quite funky about the new version, is it doesn't play nice with orbits.oxp, It locks you in the station on launch until the docking bay rolls round and chops your wings off. So that went bye bye.

Hang on so the more experience you have the tougher that little puppy gets?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hi Ark & DaddyHoggy & everybody else! I'm not quite back yet, but thanks for the kind words! (Hmmm, mother Teresa? Oh dear...)

ClymAngus: yep, up to a point: all other things being the same, the asteroid almost twice as tough if your experience is above 95.
I'm sure there was a reason that value's used, but I can't remember why to save my life
That many kills are bang smack in the middle of the 'above average' elite ranking(the median ranking in Oolite): hopefully that's when all the dogfight tactics start clicking into place, and most new commanders wouldn't find the challenge way too hard. Didn't really expect some of the improvements! :)
Tsk, when I was a lad you couldn't get no fancy turrets for love or money :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)