Thargorn Threat.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Thargorn Threat.oxp

Post by Eric Walch »

After playing with thargorn threat in witchspace I noticed it is not working as before. The main reason is the new JS additionscript of the behemoth. Since behemoth 2.4, it runs after that of thargorn threat so thargorn threat never sees a behemoth on the moment his scripts are running.

:evil: I now fixed this by adding a delay before addition, so it will again give great battles in witchspace. It now also looks for the galactic navy ships in witchspace. With this new release witchspace is unsafe again.:evil:

A_H asked me to upload it myself, so here it is: ThargornThreat 1.2

(After uploading to the wiki I found there 5 links pointing to 2 different versions. (one previous version and one very old version). I updated all 5 links. But please give it a page of its own for easier maintenance of the correct download links. Now only the containing ships have a page of their own and not the oxp itself.)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thanks for the updating business, Eric, greatly appreciated by this player here :)
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Thanks for updating the OXP. It gives the Thargoids a bit more firepower, although I did notice some problems, even with 1.72 (not related to this oxp?):

* quite often the thargons blow up as they are launched, causing further damage to the mothership.

* the thargons still go uncontrolled when their particular mothership is destroyed, even if there are are other thargoids nearby.

* the motherships sometimes don't seem to notice enemy ships that are really not very far away and just sit there hovering until they are shot.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Hmm, I just had one of the new big Thargoid warships attacking a Terroriser Frigate.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Rimbaud wrote:
Hmm, I just had one of the new big Thargoid warships attacking a Terroriser Frigate.
Not seen it but this kind of bug are mainly Oolite bugs. All ships work with default AI files.

EDIT:
I think thargoids attacking thargoids is a result of friendly fire. The thargoid omnidirectional lager is very powerful. To give other ships a change there is a 80% change it fires in a random direction a 20% change it fires at the target. (I'm not sure about the real percentage but the majority of the shots is random directed). This random firing is likely to lead to friendly fire.

When you look at several police vessels attacking a single target you also see a lot of friendly fire and police targeting other police. For scanclass police there is fail-safe routine in the update of the source code that makes that when something with scanclass police targets something with scanclass police, the target is reset and the ship receives a target lost message.

One could add something similar for scanclass thargoids in the source. But than you can never script a thargoid ship that was captured by humans and is now used to attack other thargoids.
Maybe one can do something in the thargoid ship-script. Whenever it gets attacked by a ship with scanclass thargoid, it also sends a "target lost" message. But I am not sure if this will work with the default AI. It is not possible to clear the "found_target" with JS.

EDIT2:
Friendly fire between thargoids is rare. I gave all thargoids of "thargorn threat" a script that logged an attack by something with the same scanClass as itself. After witnessing several interstellar battles, there was still no thargoid-thargoid hit logged.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

this behaviour used to be inherent to all ships called into existence with a role other than exactly 'thargoid'.
The ancient thargoid AI script scans for ships and selects ships with class != thargoid as viable target.
I assumed this would be solved by now with all the JS methods allowing more interaction with the bare code.

The problem is likely the fact that the terrorizer frigates are called/initiated by their non-thargoid role.
Riding the Rocket!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I made some small changes on this oxp.

- Looks not only for Behemoth ships in witchspace but for any police vessel with a large mass. This to anticipate to new oxp's that add other big police ships in WS.
- Added a like_ship = thargoid. Does nothing by itself, but when also added the Freaky Thargoid.oxp, it inherits the shaders from that oxp so all thargoids are shaderified than.

Download page: Thargorn Threat 1.3

I included a new version of Freaky Thargoid.oxp in this package. The old was not anymore up to the Oolite 1.72 standards. Use this version instead.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

What a great oxp this is guys
only just installed it & it really gives a great battle combined with Assassins when the Thargs attack the stations....

Well done to all.

Tivva
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I upgraded Thorgorn Treat.oxp to version 1.4

Download page: Thargorn Threat 1.4

Its identical to the version 1.3 but now it contains the shader from Freaky Thargoid.oxp.

With Oolite 1.73 it was enough to install both oxps side by side to get those shaders on all ships because of a like_ship copy. But when you also has neolite.oxp installed things started to bug because Neolite replaced the shaders with its own and than you got a mixup between ships. (A general problem with neolite.oxp and other oxp's).

And because the original freaky thargoid shader not works with Oolite 1.74, I changed it a bit to let is work with 1.74 and put it directly in this oxp.

ps: The wiki page still says it is version 1.3, but the attached file is version 1.4. I'll correct this when the wiki can be written again. (And I remember it)
imipak
Above Average
Above Average

Post by imipak »

Meeeeeep! I am CERTAIN this is not in any design specs. I was battling a Thargoid carrier and accidently docked. The Thargoids, being too stupid to shoot me on the spot, contented themselves with fining me 5000 credits and allowing me to buy more weapons. This would go a long way to explaining why they haven't conquered the universe.

The Thargoid carrier is not taking damage the way it used to - I can't even get the launch area to blow up. On the other hand, it's easier to dock with than some of the cruisers.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

imipak wrote:
This would go a long way to explaining why they haven't conquered the universe.
Lulz :lol: Sounds like something I'll have to try, soon.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The Thargoid Carrier, however, has nothing to do with Thargorn Threat.oxp.

Oh, and in the next version of Thargoid Carrier.oxp the possibility of docking will be removed.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Just noticed this:
Eric Walch wrote:
thargoid omnidirectional lager is very powerful
That is SO going to be a YAH ad! Thank-you for the inspiration! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hic, sorry :oops:
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Thargorn Threat.oxp

Post by UK_Eliter »

There seems to be a problem, at least on AMD cards, with some shader(s) in Thargorn Threat.

Code: Select all

14:39:55.046 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for thargorn_treat.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 1:92: error(#397) Illegal escape sequence. 
ERROR: 1:93: error(#132) Syntax error: '{' parse error
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

14:39:55.046 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader thargorn_treat.vertex/thargorn_treat.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  14:39:55.046 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for thargorn_treat.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:39:55.046 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader thargorn_treat.vertex/thargorn_treat.fragment.
  14:39:55.140 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for thargorn_treat.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:39:55.140 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader thargorn_treat.vertex/thargorn_treat.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  14:39:55.140 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for thargorn_treat.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
I used a similar (or identical?) shader in my Extra Thargoids OXP, and fixed the problem by removing backslashes - which, apparently (I don't understand these things) tells the compiler to treat the following line as part of the same line, and actually turning the relevant code into one long line. I removed some blank lines - or ones just containing spaces - too. And this seems to fix the problem with the Thargoid Threat OXP too.