Achenar Empire OXP?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Achenar Empire OXP?

Post by wackyman465 »

I'm thinking of making an OXP of the Achenar Empire.. maybe. Any suggestions/important backstory/tips??

Thank you!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You might want to check out Selezen's site (http://elite.hughesd.co.uk/) as there is a timeline tying together Elite/Oolite/FFE and contains quite a bit of handy background info and links to other Elite Universe sites. The Elite Wikki (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Main_Page) covers Elite / Oolite and FFE and has masses of background stuff.

Welcome to the boads!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, wackyman465, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Just out of curiosity: How are you thinking of making your OXP, as the Achenar Empire is not part of the Elite/Oolite universe?

LittleBear already pointed you to the most important and valuable sources, so I can't really add anything here, except perhaps for asking you to be very sensible, as it would be quite easy to break something in the backstory. It is quite fragile, starting with the fact that Empire and Federation don't seem to exist in Elite/Oolite, whereas GalCop doesn't even have seem to existed in the so-called sequels. But you'll learn the details from Selezen.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Achenar Empire OXP?

Post by Eric Walch »

wackyman465 wrote:
I'm thinking of making an OXP of the Achenar Empire.. maybe. Any suggestions/important backstory/tips??

Thank you!
When 1.71 was released I made a quick start with such an oxp. Only the part of adding the planes between the two correct systems. It crashed Oolite. Running the oxp with 1.65 did work. The reason for the crash should be fixed for 1.72. When you are interested I can send you my current file. (I never seriously wanted to put a lot of effort in it)
Currently it does nothing else than adding Achenar Planet About 3 LY west of Biorle in galaxy 1 in interstellar space, bringing a coriolis station in orbit and giving the station its N-buoy.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Are we sitting comfortably...? ;-)

First to LB and to clear up the timeline, First Encounters (FFE) has nothing to do with Elite/Oolite. FFE takes place 50 to 100 years in the future as far as Oolite is concerned, so it can't really be rolled in. Frontier technology and stuff can, in theory anyway, be considered to be about the same time as Oolite.

As far as my personal opinions on the galactic society is concerned, the Empire and GalCop co-exist in the same rough area of space but have a very uneasy peace with each other - kind of like "you stay the hell away from me and I'll do the same for you..."

LOADS of story potential - and missions!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Now that is funny ... I have had the idea to create an Achenar/Empire storyline for the successor to Realistic Shipyards for some time now and asked Selezen if he would lend me a hand with the timeline/continuiuiuity stuff some days ago ... :)

And now I see that at least two further people had the same idea! Perhaps something can be done together on this one?

8)

L
Eric Walch

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Now that is funny ... I have had the idea to create an Achenar/Empire storyline for the successor to Realistic Shipyards for some time now and asked Selezen if he would lend me a hand with the timeline/continuiuiuity stuff some days ago ... :)
I just activated that old oxp again. It seems Oolite still has some bugs with interstellar space. The advanced space compass is not working. The beacons I gave the station nor the buoy are appearing. Also the planet does not show on the compass. However, the planet is big enough to find and fly towards. When there, the player will find the station. (a rock hermit for this test oxp)

But after docking I noticed oolite is making a big mistake. When you dock, the station is in interstellar space, but when launching he is in an adjacent system and so are you. You see an whole different planet on a different location. (You are not even in the starting or target system for the misjump).

Before docking:
> system.planets

Code: Select all

[Planet ID: 327 position: (-50000, 1000, 263000) type: PLANET_TYPE_GREEN radius: 25.000km]
After docking:
> system.planets

Code: Select all

[Planet ID: 448 position: (0, 0, 342700) type: PLANET_TYPE_GREEN radius: 34.270km]
Demo for download: Achenar demo
You both can do with the code what you like. Please build a nice story around it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Eric,

thanks for the materials!

My original idea for this seems to be unworkable due to contradictions in the timelines of original Elite and Frontier onwards. The Achenarian Empire should be there according to Selezen, but isn`t!

Only two ways out, imo: One, move the systems into interstellar space. But the missing beacon and especially starting again in an ajacent system from the station seem to be complete showstoppers for this.

Alternative possibility: Some of the adjacent systems ARE Facece, Achenar and the like, but have other names for some unknown reason.

Will let you know when there`s something new, contributions (also just ideas) are welcome anytime!

8)

L
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Presumption:

Jumping to other systems is horribly, horribly complicated - therefore its taken care of by the computer - you move the crosshair to the system you want to jump to - the computer does all the calcs and spends 15s winding up the engines and making any minor adjustments it needs based on your velocity (this might also explain why a misjump occurs if you're maneouvring too hard...). SO since Galcop controls this area of the Ooniverse let's just presume that every Nav computer in every ship within Galcop space knows about the Empire and it's systems (to take into account their gravitational effect) but is programmed NEVER to allow these systems to be seen, ID'd or reached/jumped to.

Perhaps then (should the real Oolite code be "fixed" (read modified) to allow the correct and sensible placement of additional systems) it would eventually come down to Hacker's Outposts offering additional hacking at huge cost and risk - that of allowing the Nav computers to display and jump to systems within the Empire...

I still like Another_Commanders suggestion for allowing the creation of additional galaxies - but to caveat it a bit, perhaps rather than "new" galaxies this new galaxy would infact be G1 but G1+all the systems of the Empire included...

Just my 0.02Cr worth
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Presumption:

Jumping to other systems is horribly, horribly complicated - therefore its taken care of by the computer -
This is 'canon' if you refer to 'The Dark Wheel'....
Copyright acknowledged wrote:
Making a Faraway jump in a system as complex and crowded as Lave is no simple business. A hundred eyes are watching you for the slightest mistake. Make a mistake in orbit-space and the next time you go to dock at one of the world's Coriolis space stations a big NOT WELCOME sign might flash in the vacuum before you.

You slip your C-berth under the instruction of Station Space Monitor. Perhaps twenty ships are doing the same. You go when it's safe. You rotate, accelerate, decelerate and spin to the absolute second, both of time and arc. That way you get clear without two thousand tons of duralium trader rammed into your hyperspace jets.
It isn't over.

Now you're under the supervision of HSA, Home Space Authority, and they'll jockey you safely about among the traders, and the yachts, and the ferries, and the shuttles, and the star-liners, and the arrow- shaped police patrol ships. All of these vessels slip and slide about you, streaks of silver in the darkness, flashing green and blue lights, sudden walls of grey metal that pass across your bows, winking yellow warning beacons.

You move through this chaos and a new voice begins to call for attention. Now you're with the
Faraway Orientation Systems Controller; FOSC—or SysCon—sets you up for the big jump. You're going to cover maybe seven light years in a few minutes, and you might think that's a lot of space to get lost in, but that isn't how it works. Faraway is a tunnel, like any other tunnel. Inside that tunnel is the realm called
Witch-Space, a magic place, a place where the normal rules of the Universe don't necessarily work. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel there are monitoring satellites, and branch lines, and stop points, and rescue stations; and passing by all of these are perhaps a hundred channels, a hundred
'lines' for ships to travel, each one protected against the two big dangers of hyperspace travel: atomic reorganisation, and time displacement.

Jump on your own through hyperspace, across more than half a light year, and you'll be lucky to make the same Universe, let alone your destination.
You might emerge from Witch-Space turned inside out (which is not a pretty sight).

You might be stretched in all the wrong angles, and although the ship keeps travelling, that jelly mass of broken bone and flesh inside the cabin is you.

According to legend, you might come through okay and breathe a sigh of relief, only to go into
Earth orbit and wonder why that big lizard, with the teeth and the long tail and the green scales is roaring up at you, and warning you off of his nice Jurassic patch of prehistoric desert.
To go Faraway is a killer, unless you obey the rules.
Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Selezen's assumption (and I see no reason not to follow him) is that there are inter-community and therefore legal reasons for this. GalCop has been outlawed by both Federation and Empire, and therefore GalCop ships have been banned from Fed- and Imp-space. GalCop's retaliation is to respectively ban Fed- and Imp-ships from its space--and to ban Fed- and Imp-systems from being shown in GalCop navigation computers.

Officially the ideologial blocks refuse to even take notice of each other--but inofficially they (of course) keep close watch of each other. And this is where all sort of spy-and-counterspy missions become possible. They just won't involve physically arriving in an Imperial system.

@Eric: The interstellar space docking behaviour you describe has always been there. If you dock at anything in interstellar space, upon launch this anything will have moved to a closeby planet. There seems to be a reason for this behaviour--although I forgot what it is. Anyway, it is a showstopper for putting a station in interstellar space, and it effectively stopped my work on a certain WIP of mine. While you can somehow explain that the Behemoth you are docked with has left interstellar space in the middle of a battle (cowards!), it simply doesn't make sense for a station.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It's a canonical fact that not all systems are shown in the galactic maps.
Robert Holdstock wrote:
Alex checked up on the planet Cirag and discovered that it was not listed with the Official Planetary Register. That was the reason for its unfamiliar name. Not to be registered was not in itself unusual. Only inhabited worlds were listed. There were millions of inhabited star systems of use to miners, traders and explorers, which could only be located by reference to the Galactic Gazatteer of Worlds.
But Cirag was inhabited by intelligent beings.

That meant just one thing: Cirag was an independent world, had refused Federation status, was dangerous, probably deadly, most likely the haven for freebooters and criminals, and almost certainly a system in which the general principle of 'laser first, talk second' was applied.
Interesting that it's said that Cirag "had refused Federation status"... That opens a whole can of worms...
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

You can dock at something in interstellar space and it's still there when you launch - there's a salvage gang in some witchspace battlefields that you can dock with and launch from, remaining in witchspace, I think it's related to Trident Down. Maybe I could work out something like that
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hmmm, very interesting. Never had a report about this. The Salvage Gang is part of Anarchies.oxp, and should never ever be created in witchspace. :?:

Actually I have seen it too the other day, when I misjumped. But I blamed my WIP JS-version, in which I had forgotten to insert the not-in-interstellar-space bit. So I would be interested to know whether there are other instances of Salvage Gangs in interstellar space with Anarchies 1.0.

And of course I am eager to know whether there have been other instances of dock-in-interstellar-space-launch-in-interstellar-space.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
So I would be interested to know whether there are other instances of Salvage Gangs in interstellar space with Anarchies 1.0.
I can confirm this one, happened a while back while still under 1.71.2. Have to add that a lot of things that shouldn`t be there showed up in interstellar space then, not only a salvage gang. I seem to recall a Pi-42, amongst others.