Welcome Mat OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which version do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Software upgrade (script only)
53%
Hardware (equipment needing to be purchased)
47%

Total votes: 17

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Welcome Mat OXP

Post by Thargoid »

After playing around with a little scripting for PAGroove for the Famous Planets OXP, I had a little idea to use a variant to expand the message on exiting witchspace into a new system.

The built-in code just gives the system's name, but this new expansion from the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corporation Ship's Systems division gives detailed biographical detail via the witchspace buoy network, plus the latest information on system safety and alien activity from Galcop.

It is also fully compatible with OXPConfig.oxp and will hopefully be included into it's next update.

--Download Welcome OXP here --
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

**claps** Nice oxp. Does it give a random warning for pirates and such? Or does it add mire or less, or how does it work?

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Firstly it checks if you're in interstellar space or not, as if you are then the messaging makes no sense so it doesn't do it.

Then if you are in normal space it counts up the number of ships with primary role pirate in the system, plus the number of ships with scanclass Thargoid. Then it counts the number of ships in-system with scanclasses Police and Military.

If the sum of the first two is more than 5 larger than the sum of the last two you get the dangerous system warning otherwise you get the well policed one. It also pops up the alien presence warning if the Thargoid count is >0 (ie there are some Thargoid vessels in-system) and the Nova warning if the sun Nova countdown is running. All subject to the Galcop messages being enabled (they are by default), see below.

The danger level warning could easily be more graduated, but I thought to keep it simple. There's nothing random in there. If logging is also enabled those numbers plus the system galaxy, name and number, are also logged to stderr.txt and the debug console.

The main government etc info is toggled via OXPConfig with extraA, and the Galcop info (the details above) is toggled with extraB. Or at least it will be once Svengali has released the next update for it and added the code in to make the link-up from that side ;)

One thing I have realised, as default the logging is on rather than off in the version I uploaded last night (forgot to change it back from my final testing :oops: ). I've just uploaded a fix for that, but if you want to change it locally just change the true to false in the this.startUp part of the script.js for this.logging (via your favourite text editor). It's not a major problem, it's just it differs from what the documentation of the OXP says.

The script itself is quite simple. For those interested in perhaps joining the dark side (we have cookies! :twisted:) and dabbling in a little coding, it's a fairly clear example of what can be done quite easily. The timer is just to make sure the code triggers after all other OXP's have done their thing, and perhaps added ships into the system that need to be counted.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Looks nice. Will try it out after the weekend. One question. Can you make it as equipment? Because data costs money and traders are willing to pay for that.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I can certainly make it as equipment, that's trivial. I was just a little concerned to do so as we have a large amount of OXP equipment and my F5 screen is in danger of ending up all over my feet ;)

But if people would prefer it to be realised as a new bit of kit, I'm more than happy to do that...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

pagroove wrote:
Looks nice. Will try it out after the weekend. One question. Can you make it as equipment? Because data costs money and traders are willing to pay for that.
Welcome Mat 1.00 - the equipment version.

The only question now - keep both versions available or ditch one. Time for a poll methinks... ;)
Last edited by Thargoid on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Great work! Tested it bought it and it worked. Now only if the data is stored in your comml- log it would be even better. As an alternative you could choose to display the text a little longer 8)

But compliments!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Again easily done (change consoleMessage to commsMessage in the scripting), and for longer display times change the 6 to something different.

The former I will implement (in fact I can make it switchable from console to comms via the this.audio key, currently unused). Give me a little while on that one (busy day planned today!).

The latter I must admit I'm a bit reluctant to do, as there's so much information displayed that if any other OXP also pops up information, there is perhaps a risk of it getting missed in the data stream.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

pagroove wrote:
Great work! Tested it bought it and it worked. Now only if the data is stored in your comml- log it would be even better. As an alternative you could choose to display the text a little longer 8)

But compliments!
OK, just for you, now switchable between comms and console messaging via the this.audio OXPConfig switch.

-- Welcome v1.01 (script version) and Welcome Mat v1.01 (equipment version) --
Last edited by Thargoid on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid, I just had a little laugh with your "Welcome.oxp". When arriving in the system I got the message: System is well policed.

This message was shortly after followed by my ups scanner:
0 pirates, 0 police, 0 hunters. Shortly before I had the same message from "Welcome" while the ups scanner reported: 3 pirates, 1 police, 0 hunters.

Okay, the welcome message just mend to say the system is safe. And it is, with so little pirates, even with only one on no police at all.

Just bad luck that the ups scanner is expensive and is only available to elite pilots that at least twice succeeded in the final ups mission.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The OXP assumes that anything up to 5 excess pirates in a system is something you can cope with. Any more than that and it's classed as dangerous ;)

OK, so perhaps the wording needs a little work :oops:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
OK, so perhaps the wording needs a little work :oops:
They are good. It just means: system is relative save.

The biggest shock came after a few moments. As both scanners claimed the system was safe, I lend back and went for the station without paying to much attention to the scanner. (it was safe remember). It was a big shock when a dozen lasers fired at me. By the time I was focused again, half of my shields were blown off already. It was a hydra2 that both scanners missed. Starting my evasive manoeuvres I notices a second yellow blib turning red. It was a plain hydra.
OK, I survived but learned that even scanners are not 100% proof.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, Welcome and Welcome Mat 1.02 is now available for download.

-- Welcome v1.02 (script version) and Welcome Mat v1.02 (equipment version) --

New features:

• Scripting optimised a bit.
  • Expanded (and re-worded :oops: ) system safety messages.
  • "Sticky" OXPConfig settings via missionVariables.
  • Bug/feature fix, to make the message display the correct system tech level (system.techLevel value is one lower than the display screen entry).
I would appreciate reports of any issues with the OXPConfig sticky settings, from players both using and not using that add-on. I'm planning this as a test for the coding method, and if it works may re-use it in the future (and anyone else that wants it is welcome to, although it's not a complex problem).

One bug I already know is it doesn't work for players without a save game (ie brand new Jamesons). I'll ponder exactly why, although it's not exactly a big issue ;)

As the poll is so close, I will continue to maintain both versions of this OXP I think. They share a common script and configuration within OXPConfig, so it should be simple.

Oh, and I did resist adding a special warning for HydraII's, just for Eric :lol: [/color]
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

One idea I had in mind for this OXP is the following:

ATM. you get the info from the beacon automaticaly. Wouldn't it be more realistic if you have to link with the beacon by locking onto it and pressing r. The information is then downloaded. It also would cost some time.

As a random factor some beacons can be broken or defect or even being altered by pirates as a bait :twisted:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

pagroove wrote:
ATM. you get the info from the beacon automaticaly. Wouldn't it be more realistic if you have to link with the beacon by locking onto it and pressing r. The information is then downloaded. It also would cost some time. :twisted:
I agree. Now there is a script and an equipment version. But who want the equipment version when the script version does exactly the same as the equipment after purchase.

Now the script version displays the system information with a 1 second delay after entering. Make it a 10 or 15 second delay. At that moment first check if the beacon is targeted. Only than display the message. (player needs to target the buoy within 10 to 15 seconds after entering)
That will make its use a little bit more difficult, but than there is a real need for de-scission between the two versions.

Or combine the two in one oxp. With equipment you get an automated response and without the equipment you have to first target the buoy.