Energy Equipment OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Energy Equipment OXP

Post by Thargoid »

As I seem to be having a release-kick at the moment, allow me to introduce the third of the current trio of new OXPs, Energy Equipment v1.00. I promise this will be the last for a little while! Ok, maybe it will ;)

As you can probably guess, it introduces two new bits of equipment relating to the players energy reserves:

• The Emergency Charge Device (ECD) - a pylon-based item which when triggered transfers an energy top-up to the ships systems (think of it as a fuel tank for energy, as that's where the idea came from).
  • The Emergency Energy Unit (EEU) - a variant on the ECD, directly fitted to the ships systems and triggered automatically when energy levels get critical.
Both are single-shot items that are destroyed on activation, and neither increase the maximum energy storage capacities of the ship (any excess energy is dissipated).

Lastly but not leastly, they can be downloaded here. I've tested both and they seem to work as intended, but of course any errors please let me know.

Oh, and a nod to Frame for the loan of the script from his bounty IFF add-on, modified for the EEU.[/color]
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Methinks we'll have to come up with a way to fit all this new equipment currently in production to the F5 screen. Won't be long before the items list starts spilling over the hud...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

another_commander wrote:
Methinks we'll have to come up with a way to fit all this new equipment currently in production to the F5 screen. Won't be long before the items list starts spilling over the hud...
Mine already is. If I add any more kit I think it's going to be scrolling over my feet. :lol:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Mine already is. If I add any more kit I think it's going to be scrolling over my feet. :lol:
Don't you have a second monitor attached for that list?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Only at work, where I shouldn't be playing it ;)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

another_commander wrote:
Could the same system not be used as in the shipyard, when there are too many ships to display on one screen? Obviously it means a bit of guddling in the program itself, but in my head it would seem easy to do.*

*This, of course, is how disasters begin to happen...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Small oops, found a typo which stops the ECD working properly. New version (1.01) uploaded, available here.
Last edited by Thargoid on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi Thargoid,

I am posting this in a random thread of yours, because it concerns all your OXPs.

Please forgive me for repeating all over again a very old speech of mine: I just downloaded your OXPs and notice the packaging problem. You have put your readMe's in your OXPs. This is a bad idea, because it means virtually nobody who is using a Mac will ever even know that there is a readMe. (Not that many people actually read readMe's, but you never know...)

Why is this so? Because of the way the Mac OS handles OXPs. On your PC (or Linux-puter) OXPs look like ordinary folders. So you can open them, see the different sub-folders within (like Config, AIs, Models, Textures, etc.), and even readMe's and whatever documentation an OXPer chooses to give out with his OXP. Everything seems fine.

Not so in OS X. Here an OXP is a package. It looks like a single file (like for instance the Oolite-application itself), and it has a special icon. You have to be an advanced user to even get to the idea that you could open it. (If you simply double-click, it will not open, instead Oolite will launch.) So you have to use a trick to even look inside. Which means that only very few end-users will ever look inside. So they will get old and die without even knowing that you had written a readMe with some explanations about your OXP.

So what to do? Never ever include anything you want to be noticed by your users in the OXP-folder itself. Instead create a mother-folder around your OXP-folder. Put your documentation in that mother folder, along with your OXP-folder. Now you are on the safe side. (So yes, there is a reason why you have downloaded many OXPs which are packed exactly in this way.)

Thank you very much. :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Apologies for that and thanks for the pointer, although I can see it's something of a mantra...

Anyway all OXPs repackaged, should be OK for OS X now as well as humble PC users like me (the readme files are duplicated into both folders).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And while I'm at it, a quick update to v1.02, as due to a small role error NPCs can have the ECD, which when they trigger it was giving the energy to the player (thanks to Eric Walsh for spotting that).

The new version corrects this error, and also fixes a problem with the EEU which makes it survive usage.

New version is here or via the wiki.
Last edited by Thargoid on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks, although now you overdid it a little. :D

That I repeatedly mentioned the folder-vs-package issue was not supposed to mean that you should wrap your OXP in two mother- (and grandmother?) folders. It's now becoming something like a russian doll. :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Your timing must be impecible ;)

I wrapped them, uploaded them, and then to check downloaded them again and unwrapped to test them. I saw that I'd double-wrapped them (Winzip was having fun when I did the test unzip, it made a folder then unzipped into that, so it looked like the original wrap had somehow lost it's readme) so modified the zip files and re-loaded.

You must have managed to hit the brief window between the upload and re-upload to do your download :shock:

Anyway at the moment all the OXPs are now available single-wrapped for freshness (I just did another download and unzip to check).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Don't know how brief the window was. I downloaded just 15 minutes ago. Although the answer could be that for the Energy Equipment OXP I used the direct download link from your post, probably the new version has another direkt link?

Anyway, it wasn't harmful. I was just a little amused and threw away the outermost folder.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Double wrapped for extra freshness - sounds like a marketing ploy/slogan!
:)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, new version for compatibility with v1.72.

==Energy Equipment v1.04==
Last edited by Thargoid on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.