Fuel Collector Release 0.06

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fuel Collector Release 0.06

Post by Frame »

Edited again: new version:
Warning Next Version will be incompatible with Oolite versions prior to 1.72 unless some very serious bug is found..

anyway Version 0.06 is found here...

http://www.box.net/shared/6r8hqn6zas
---------
fixes...

fixed some bugs in regard to damaged Equipement, also fixed a yet undiscovered bug regarding hacking reconnectivity. Timers behaves differently now i presume.

Added DeepSpaceDredger Derelict ships to the list of possible Fuel extraction targets.

Added an array with legit roles that can be modified by the player if he wishes more ships from which there can be extracted fuel... Note that it does not make sense to try to extract fuel from a vessel that always has 0 ly of fuel onboard

Orthographic´s in regard to text should now be consistent

Too = to typo in messages corrected to be too

Compatible with 1.70.x, 1.71.x, 1.72.1 + 1.72.2

below this is older stuff

New version 0.05: solves warnings, solves planet vicinity problems for this OXP only.. naming feature enhanced, to use roman numbers instead of decimals... Leesti IV instead of Leesti 4 for example...

Compatible with 1.71, 1.72, 1.72.1

download version 0.05 here...

http://www.box.net/shared/clvme0ze8g

New version, solves the insignificant error with system_redux

New feature, names planets & moons when mulitple are present in a system, due to system_redux or other system changing OXPs

Names are seen upon entering the planets vicinity...

Topic says all...

Features...

* Scoops Fuel from killed ships.. (does not feature fuel clouds yet)

Player can now scoop a certain amount of the victims fuel reserve..

* Hacks Derelict ship Computers

Orders the derelicts ships computer to vent its fuel while the player scoops it... player needs to quite close for this to work. less that 300 meters from ship center, carefull ship can be boobytrapped.. repeated attemps may also trigger a self detruct mechanism.

* Cruise Mode:

Player will from time to time get 0.1 ly of fuel awarded, this depends on how far from the sun the player is.

The Device will shut this function off, inside a planets magnetic field, or to close to the sun.

Will not work in WitchSpace...

WitchSpace Fuel Extraction

Player will from time to time get 0.1 ly of fuel via the fuel scoop., will take even more time than normal cruise mode in interplanetary space..

Price 500 credits while in beta version
TechLevel requirement 11 (which is 10) after the next release
Oolite Version Compatibility 1.71.2 only (only done bugtesting at this version)

Download here..
http://wiki.alioth.net/images/0/00/Fuel ... or.oxp.zip

EDIT
http://wiki.alioth.net/images/6/6d/Fuel ... .02oxp.zip

http://wiki.alioth.net/images/c/c1/Fuel ... .03oxp.zip
Last edited by Frame on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

i´m amazed that no one has reported anything yet... that would be a first for me.... ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Looks great from what I read Fame

After the weekend I want to try it. a.t.m. too little time and too much OXP.
Thats real luxury 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Frame wrote:
i´m amazed that no one has reported anything yet... that would be a first for me.... ;-)
Well, it isn't. :wink:

Apart from the misspelling (in equipment.plist you've named the thing Fuel Collecter), which doesn't affect gameplay, I get lots of these:
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: ----- JavaScript warning: reference to undefined property this.pllist
[script.javaScript.warning.162]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.71.2/AddOns/FuelCollector.oxp/Scripts/frame_fuel_collector.js, line 100.
[script.javaScript.exception.22]: ***** JavaScript exception: TypeError: system.planets[pcounter].distanceTo is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.22]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.71.2/AddOns/FuelCollector.oxp/Scripts/frame_fuel_collector.js, line 100.
But generally the device works. :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

So it doesn't work yet?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thanks,

generally that error is insignificant, it is for future use when you have more planets than 1 in the system.

I presume you are running it with system redux, which means there are more planets than one... I did plan to test it with system redux, but forgot about it... my mistake.

However since it is insignificant, it should still work, i will rewrite that stuff in a day or two...

I´ll rename it too shortly,
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Frame wrote:
Thanks,

generally that error is insignificant, it is for future use when you have more planets than 1 in the system.

I presume you are running it with system redux, which means there are more planets than one... I did plan to test it with system redux, but forgot about it... my mistake.
Hmmm. I am running it with System Redux, but as I don't like multi-planet systems I have set the max_planets in System Redux to 0 (and max_moons to 1). And I'm getting the error message in all systems, regardless of their number of planetary bodies.

But as far as I can see, it does indeed not affect the usability of the device.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oh, there is one other issue, not within the OXP, but rather around it.

I only accidentally stumbled across the readme-file, when I wanted to have a look into the script and therefore opened the OXP.

It is generally a bad idea to put readme's or documentation of any kind in the OXP, because the OXP - which under Windows is a simple folder - is treated differently on a Mac. There it is a package. It looks like a single file, and if you click on it no folder will open, but Oolite will start automatically. You have to use a trick to even look what's inside, and non-expert Mac users will never even assume that there is something inside. Therefore they will never ever find any documentation or readme that is contained in the OXP itself.

Solution: create a new, "umbrella"-folder, which contains the OXP and whatever you want to include as documentation. Thank you. :D
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
Frame wrote:
Thanks,

Hmmm. I am running it with System Redux, but as I don't like multi-planet systems I have set the max_planets in System Redux to 0 (and max_moons to 1). And I'm getting the error message in all systems, regardless of their number of planetary bodies.

But as far as I can see, it does indeed not affect the usability of the device.
Moons are just planets, a spherical body, even the sun is essentially treated like planet, which is why you are getting the error.. the script checks for number of planets, if a moon is there, it means it "thinks!" that there is more than one planet.. which is why btw i´m prolly going to suggest an extra property to system, namely moons..

I was thinking ahead of myself there, and wanted a way to identify the different planets and moons, and therefore i wrote a bit of it... a sort of planet identifier, however i totally forgot to check up upon its compatibility with system redux, because it was not fully implemented, but the script just never made as far as to the error on my system...

i´ll make a new version shortly...

Thanks for your effort :-)

thanks for the heads up on the Mac specific problem... and the way to get around it...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

on a side note i just found a huge system redux error..

if you dock, undock, dock undock, then for each undock then counting out the main planet

it will double the number of moons and planets that it adds in the system, in lave for example thats 1 planet and 1 moon.

when i first undocked there was 3 planets (2 real planets and 1 moon)
when i docked and undocked again Then now there is 5 planets(3 real planets and 2 moons)..

The thing is though, the moon and planets are added at the exact same position, which on my system caused texture Flilckering and was why i finally understood why my log output showed me 3 planets, then 5, then 7... while i visually could only locate 3...

the fix is relatively simpel.. a simple switch variable is needed one that gets set when the player undocks..

Edit

I quickly made my own fix, added the switch at the dock/witchspace functions

Code: Select all

this.shipWillLaunchFromStation  =  function()
{
	if(!this.uswitch)
	{
		this.populate();
		this.uswitch = true;
	}

}

this.shipWillExitWitchspace = function()
{

this.populate();
		this.uswitch = true;	//set to true cause we allready populated	
}
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I only accidentally stumbled across the possibility to retrieve fuel from a derelict ship (of course, it's in the documentation, :oops: but who reads documentation anyway? :wink: ). Nice feature. :D

I just want to report that sometimes, when the ship self-destructed, among all the containers and alloys there also was a steady wreckage-component floating in space. It had an energy of 2000, but no energy-recharge-rate, so it could be blown up eventually.

It's perhaps not a bug as such, however it is unusual, because the usual behaviour of wreckage-components is to blow up after a very short time. I think it's just part of what makes explosions look nicely. You never find one under normal circumstances. So I thought I report it here.

NB: It's not there everytime. I had it in two instances out of a total of about six or seven "milked" derelicts.

And a question: Is there a timer involved in this mechanism of salvaging fuel from shipwrecks? I once was attacked by three pythons and managed to disable two of them. I could extract some fuel from the first one I arrived at, before it blew up. But when I came to the other one afterwards, no fuel-extraction happened.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
I only accidentally stumbled across the possibility to retrieve fuel from a derelict ship (of course, it's in the documentation, :oops: but who reads documentation anyway? :wink: ). Nice feature. :D

I just want to report that sometimes, when the ship self-destructed, among all the containers and alloys there also was a steady wreckage-component floating in space. It had an energy of 2000, but no energy-recharge-rate, so it could be blown up eventually.

It's perhaps not a bug as such, however it is unusual, because the usual behaviour of wreckage-components is to blow up after a very short time. I think it's just part of what makes explosions look nicely. You never find one under normal circumstances. So I thought I report it here.

NB: It's not there everytime. I had it in two instances out of a total of about six or seven "milked" derelicts.

And a question: Is there a timer involved in this mechanism of salvaging fuel from shipwrecks? I once was attacked by three pythons and managed to disable two of them. I could extract some fuel from the first one I arrived at, before it blew up. But when I came to the other one afterwards, no fuel-extraction happened.

There is a timer involved, there is specific checking wheter or not to hack the computer, i presume a target mix up. this should be cleared, when you untarget the target for about 10 seconds, or target another object..

Regarding the Wreck... i have traced this down to spawning something that shortly after explodes

I just finished rewriting some of the fuel collector, and has added a pause so that the wreck dies in 1 second after spawning... this wreck is infact the device that hurts the player when he is to near.... i used the wreck as it would not seem suspicious to the player to see a wreck...

and it is time for a new release the fuel collector shortly... just have to finish up the version numbers...

This next release features a planet/moon identification routine, that tells the player what planet/moon he is to close to, when the device deactivates..

the text is something similar to this

Deactivated Fuel Collector
To Close to Maregeis 2
or

Deactivated Fuel Collector
To Close to Maregeis 2´s moon 1
and ofcourse you can be to close to the sun
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Doh!!!

Regarding the wreck, i found a typo...
it never wanted to explode because the AI.plist it was looking for was non existant..

Doh!!!

Edit there typo corrected, and it all works... let me just wrap this up for the new release
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Release v0.02

http://wiki.alioth.net/images/6/6d/Fuel ... .02oxp.zip

There is a readme in the umbrella directory
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Frame wrote:
Doh!!!

Regarding the wreck, i found a typo...
it never wanted to explode because the AI.plist it was looking for was non existant..

Doh!!!
Ah, that would explain another issue I had. I noticed that with all the trapped wrecks I never got damaged when they exploded. I just wasn't sure whether that's a bug or my shields are too strong... Now I know it was a bug. :wink: