My First Models

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

My First Models

Post by Amen Brick »

I've done what I think is a nice ship model and want to show it off, but how the 'eck do I save screenshots in wings3d. I've gone through the manual and can't see anything. I can get screenshots, but it's just a floating screen I can't do anything with.

/Grump
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I didn't even know wings had a screen shot option until now :)
I've just had a play with it and i think i've found a way to save out the screenshot, it's a bit convoluted though, so maybe someone who knows their way around wings better than i do will have an easier solution:

1. first switch on the Outliner window (it's found on the 'Window' menu on the menubar)
2. take a screenshot (menubar->tools->screenshot)
3. drag the screenshot window out of the way so you can see the ouliner window that's now behind it, there will be a new item in the list called <<Screenshot>>, right click on it and choose 'Rename', give it a suitable name.
4. right click again on the screenshot item in outliner and choose 'export..'. save out the screenshot (you can't export until you rename the screenshot)
5. upload the screenshot to photobucket and post the link up here in-between [img] tags

edit: what Selezen said, it's a better solution.
Last edited by Griff on Thu May 29, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

If you're using Windows, use ALT+PRINT SCREEN to grab the screen to the clipboard, then paste it into your favourite drawing n painting application. Use that to make the pic look tidy then save it!
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Thanks! I was soooo expecting 'you dimp' type comments! Thanks a lot! Will do that.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Amen Brick wrote:
Thanks! I was soooo expecting 'you dimp' type comments!
Do you forget where you are? This is, after all, The Friendliest Board This Side of Riedquat!

:D :D :D
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Amen Brick wrote:
Thanks! I was soooo expecting 'you dimp' type comments!
Do you forget where you are? This is, after all, The Friendliest Board This Side of Riedquat!

:D :D :D
Oh yeah, we are quite freindly. :-D

Some of us have different opinions, but we have them in a freindly way...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I see you have the opposite problem to me, Frame...

I spell "their" as "thier" and you spell "friendly" as "freindly".

We swapped EI placement opinions. :-) See how friendly this board is?
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Here are my first five models (most are variations on a theme, so didn't take too long. My only concern is that they are not to complicated for the game.

Grasshopper Light Fighter

Single man fighter. I wanted to explore the idea of ships on the vertical plane, rather than the more usual horizontal. This is about the size of a Krait/Sidewinder.

Image[/url]

Ant Tug/Light Transport Ship [EMPTY OF CARGO]

I have more images of this, just didn't save them, meh.

Hornet Cruiser

A bit bigger than a cobra.

Beetle Heavy Cargo Transport

The 'scarring' is from earlier attempts at uv mapping.

Mosquito Independent Laser Missile (as discussed in the Thargoid Reverse Engineering Thread).

---

I tested all these in POV ray and there doesn't appear to be any mesh issues (unlike my first attempt, lol).

I understand UV Mapping! (never got it in Blender), but that was this morning, so I had no time to do any work on skins.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

They look good!

Vertical plane ships should be interesting when it comes to docking (in generally horizontally orientated docking ports) - will take some conscious effort to remember you're "tall" not "wide"!! :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Amen Brick wrote:
Here are my first five models (most are variations on a theme, so didn't take too long. My only concern is that they are not to complicated for the game.
Nice looking things, hehe. But too much edges - I think (658 edges for a small light fighter?). Currently Oolite (OOMesh.h) does support 500 vertices and 800 faces as a maximum. So maybe it is better to reduce it a little bit. With my models I'm trying to keep the vertices <200 and the faces <250 (this values only for the big and mostly uniquely ones).

I've run into the same thing with my first model - never had any low-poly models done before. :-)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Tip to keep things low-poly - try to use the texture for the majority of surface detail...

Hope that helps.
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Ok, thanks for the tips, will try to see what I can do!

Results of UV mapping.

With the hornet I did something relatively simple (still took an age, mind).

But I had a look at some of the oxps in my folder and thought I could go a little further, so I did:

and the uv map

Not finished yet, the windows still need doing and now of course, I'm going to have to simplify the models slightly, but it's all good practice.

I think I could get away with just simpifying the engine blocks and the top gun mount thingie. That may be enough.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@Amen Brick, nice work.

You could also break it up into sub-entities.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Excellent stuff Amen Brick, it's always a pleasure to see new ideas, or a new slant of some sort, I really like the idea of vertical ships.

Just a thought though, they will be a lot easier to hit with a laser, so I guess very strong shields would be fitted by default!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Ok I simplified some models.

I actually prefer the simpler model here, it's a bit closer to what I intended.

This is as simple as i could make the Hornet. Any other reductions deformed it somewhere.