Advertising OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Well, the Powers and Organisations page of the wiki says
The most orderly and 'lawful' system of government within GalCop is the corporate state. This system comes about when either a single, or more often, a group of powerful and affluent companies take de facto control of a planetary system.
And I'd assume that the various ad agencies would be multisystem in scope (although they would each have their headquarters at one specific Corporate world).

Edit: and I'd asume that "orderly and lawful" only applies to protecting the flow of trade to and from the planet... on the ground, everything, including justice, will be for sale!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

When I played Freelancer a lot I liked the idea that you could do missions for a company. Although this where combat missions only. Why not ad corporation-linked missions to Oolite with a ranking system for eachy company. In the example from Yoo-Hoo you could climb in company ranks.

In this scope you can have all sorts of missons:

-delivery missions
-advertising missions
-spy missions (look what company x is up to) ( maybe add a photo misson like in frontier if it can be implemented)
-sabotage missions
etc.....
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

... on the ground, everything, including justice, will be for sale!
U-bik style ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
... on the ground, everything, including justice, will be for sale!
U-bik style ;)
:oops: I don't know what that means...

...but you do get the oddest results Googling it -- including this formula/transcription of incoherent swearing parrot:

"f(ak u bik) = f(ak) uf(bk) f(ak ° bkm) = f(ak) f(bkm)"

Sorry. Off-topic. :oops:
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

hmm. odd..
I would have sworn any tid-bit of SciFi terminology would be accepted as common knowledge here.
U-bik is the title of a Phillip K. Dick's Novel, featuring psychics and anti-psychic corporations. U-bik is amongs other things a brand of beer.
A game was made with the same name, by Cryo IIRC.....searching....yes I was right.
Tried that once, had a nice cutscene but I couldn't really enjoy the gameplay.
What i was referring to is the world it is set in, a run-down world of runaway greenhouse climate, rationing, a NewYork sprawl of virtually identical arcologies named con-apts in which everything costs money, even the door demands a mandatory fee to open.
A global economic depression.
World nations have disbanded or coalesced, the UN is powerfull...in space.
Because they controll who gets drafted for emigration to the colonies on the Moon, Mars, even Venus. The people there are even more despondent than here, huddling in their underground hovels, pining for the Earth they will never see again in real life. Spending all their wages on hallucinogenic narcotics to temporarily experience what amounts to the life of Paris Hilton.
Riding the Rocket!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ah well, live and learn! Shamefully I've never read any PKD...
Arexack_Heretic

INDEED! shame!

It is woefully dated though (...futuristic 90's) and not for the puritan-minded (heavy drug use and rampant agnostisism..even a touch of solipsism)

Very enjoyable non-the-less. The uncertainty of (personal) reality, which is a recurring theme in his work, makes 'the Matrix' feel like Sesamy street in comparison.

shame twice!
(because you are a brain inna jar, you should be familiar with works on 'percieved vs shared reality')
;)
Riding the Rocket!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I know... I always feel that I should read Philip K. Dick, but I can't shake the feeling that his ideas are often much better than his writing. My favourite SF solipsists are the ones in Iain Banks's Against a Dark Background... as for head-games, try Michael Swanwick's Vacuum Flowers. Or Tricia Sullivan's Maul, which I read recently (also not for puritans). Or M. John Harrison's utterly, frantically brilliant Light.
Arexack_Heretic

I excuse for the blatant highjacking of this thread. :twisted:

Yeah, there are several mistakes and some inconsistencies in his writing... such as the exertion that all ions are negative. :crazy: ...but not more or excessively wrong than in other writer's stories.

(Many writers were riding the GM wagon in the 90's and me being schooled and interested in such matters have had to say out loud "that is such a load of BS" in fully occupied commuter trains. Suspension of disbelief is so much more difficult when you can see past the techno-babble and know the scientific underpinnings.)

Anyhow the reason I read SF is not because I want to learn more about science, but for the creative ideas and concepts that are sometimes explored. :D
got Journals for scientific articles. ;)

I'll certainly put those books on my "Look out for"-list.
Read some I.banks novels, but not the one you mentioned.
I have Light i think. ...I'm going to use today to re-create my library-list.

back to topic now.
Riding the Rocket!
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Just to add my 2.0 cr worth.

I think this could be a great idea if, as discussed previously, it isn't seen as a complete alternative to trading (after all, that's partly what Elite is all about). However, I do like the idea of another career path being available (even if does mean whoring yourself around the galaxy).

I can't see myself trawling around the galaxy with a great big smegging billboard on my shiny cobra, but for some, it might ease them into the game.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

just for fun, Hoopy i tried to make a giant ice cream cone such as found on a Mr. Whippy van but it just looked crap, but the hotdog worked ok:-

i put it into an oxp here:-
http://www.box.net/shared/j18loxlno4

edit: see the link a few posts down

you're more than welcome to use it if you want but if you think W.T.F!??!?! and are mortified i'm not going to be offended :)
Last edited by Griff on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eheheh, I'll go for hidden option C:

WTF? :shock: Excellent, I must have it!:D :lol:

Please, try again for a Mr Whippy! I'll see if I can get some plink plonk music for the mission! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oh man yes that would be amazing! Ice cream van chimes playing as you cruise through the system! the ice cream cone model failed as it always ended up looking horribly phallic, maybe i have some freudian issues i need to address....
edit:...or a bizarre shaped penis
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep! :D Just think of the shame on taking the mission! :D :D

edit: maybe if you make the ice cream a really wide conical shape, & two different colour scoops on top?

TMI!!! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Less anatomical, but more space-based: how about a Zoom ice-lolly?