Orphaned oxps!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Orphaned oxps!

Post by maik »

Kaks wrote:
I've already made a start with a couple of them, including (foolishly) getting Orb.oxp to behave in 1.70. That's now involving every single Benulobiweed Inc. creation.
Charlie seems to be gone for good now and the links to his OXPs are all broken. Do you want to reconsider adoption?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

maik wrote:
Charlie seems to be gone for good now and the links to his OXPs are all broken. Do you want to reconsider adoption?
I did a minuscule amount of digging and took a peek at Charlie's last post (so far) [Mar 11, 2008]. The end of it reads:
Charlie wrote:
FWIW:
To any who may be interested, in case I continue to prove a pain to contact, please regard all my .oxp's (past & future) as free for use by others as they see fit. (or indeed, bits of)
Orb.oxp - please ask about this one first as it's now jointly developed with Kaks.
I don't speak legalese, mind you, but the intention of the statement seems pretty clear to me.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

maik wrote:
Charlies oxps are still there...
Condor -> Condor.zip (1.6MB) 2007-02-04
Pallas -> Pallas.zip (258KB) 2007-02-04
Orb -> Orb.zip (3.1MB) 2007-02-13

btw: Charlie has created a lot more stuff (Kestrel, Falcon, Merlin, Swift, NavyStarships). Some of them are already adopted by Kaks.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Unfortunately Charlie never seemed to quite get the hang of writing oxps. That didn't stop him from making and releasing them, but kind of hampers my own meagre attempts at making them work! :)

Life is being more complicated than expected, so I haven't had a chance yet to

1. fix those oxps
2. update them to 1.74.2

as 'previewed' in another thread... :(
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Svengali wrote:
maik wrote:
Charlies oxps are still there...
Condor -> Condor.zip (1.6MB) 2007-02-04
Pallas -> Pallas.zip (258KB) 2007-02-04
Orb -> Orb.zip (3.1MB) 2007-02-13

btw: Charlie has created a lot more stuff (Kestrel, Falcon, Merlin, Swift, NavyStarships). Some of them are already adopted by Kaks.
Thanks, I updated their Wiki pages.
ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

I hate being persistent (I bumped the relevant thread a couple of times) but would it be possible for anyone to adopt the "Real-Life Economics" OXP?
It's here:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11790
Scratchbuilding miniatures:
http://miniaturesandstuff.wordpress.com/
the picture in my avatar is a Dwarf Berserker.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I try to avoid thread necromancy but...

I was rooting around on the internet and found this.

http://archive.is/PkKy

I accept that many of the listed OXPs have been updated or retired, but have found the Pirate trap OXP and illicit unlock OXP to work, admittedly the illicit unlock oxp has not been "griffified" but then I have never been able to get the "griffified" version to work.

The Pirate trap OXP does in fact seem on first blush to spawn extra Pirates though.

I am digressing of course.

The Point of this thread is simply to note that there may well be some useful the old none J.S.resources here for currently active OXP developers. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Duggan wrote:
I was rooting around on the internet and found this.

http://archive.is/PkKy
Well, you don't need an archive site to access Oosat. The original site is still alive and kicking (thanks to gracious host CapnHack :D ): http://capnhack.com/hosting/oolite/Oolite/OoSat.html

Even more than that: you're still welcome to upload your OXPs to Oosat. CapnHack is still volunteering as a host. The only downside is that he no longer updates the visible index page, so your OXP won't appear in that table. But you can share the direct download link from the [EliteWiki] Wiki. For instance, the first version of Anarchies OXP was hosted this way, because I didn't have box.com at the time. It's most likely still there.

You'll note from CapnHack's joining date to the boards that he is one of the Ooliteers of the first hour. His site was the first ever OXP repository. And it's still publicly and properly listed on the Wiki's [wiki]OXP[/wiki] page.

So, there's really not much deep internet rooting necessary to find Oosat. It's out there in the open, and has always been. :wink:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you for the pointer commander :)

The link is not so prominent as one as one would have thought to me personally, I concede I may have gone a round about way of finding it, but if I am not mistaken.. the New Pilots very first port of call, and quiet rightly, will be;

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List

The link you kindly provided is, as is evident not immediately apparent :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV