Orphaned oxps!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Orphaned oxps!

Post by Kaks »

... I'll adopt them! :)

I've just got myself with an inordinate amount of free time & I'm very keen on getting some of the oldies shipshape for the new Oolite release, including converting script.plists to javascript.

I've already made a start with a couple of them, including (foolishly) getting Orb.oxp to behave in 1.70. That's now involving every single Benulobiweed Inc. creation. It's a vast thing, and with no end in sight, I'm looking for a quicker (Ok, relatively quicker ) gratification, by cleaning smaller, self contained oxps, like what I did with asteroids.oxp.

In other words, I'm a bit of a loaded gun. Just point me in the right direction. The one that causes least damage, anyway! :)

Cheers,

Kaks
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

The asteroids oxp was a bad choice for two simple reasons:

The asteroids oxp is one of Charlie’s oxps and Charlie is back.
Although it can stand as an independent oxp Charlie gave that oxp to little bear (a long time ago) with the permission to integrate it with asteroid storm oxp (I have always considered asteroid storm as a joined creation of little bear and Charlie).
Eric (in his good will) didn’t know that when he found it, he update it and submit it in the wiki. Now you did the same thing.

So firstly we cannot consider asteroids as an abandoned oxp and secondly now we have two oxps (the second in two versions yours and Eric’s) that do the same thing, increase the variety of asteroids in the game. I strongly recommend to pm little bear, charly and eric and cooperate with them for an advance version of asteroid storm.
For more information
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4178

Now if you want to upgrade – bug fix and optimize abandoned oxp there are a lot of them:

All murgh oxps – they are a lot of them. For starters:
1.Lave (that “CANNOT addShipsAt: 'mortran 1 pwm 13935 41730 14230' (should be addShipsAt: role number coordinate_system x y z)” is in my stderr file since the Stone Age. This oxp has at least one conflict with transports oxp
2.Transports opx
3.You may want to add custom views and shaders in all murgh ship oxps (new vipers, tug ship etc)

All 8bitapocalypse opxs. Super cobra, ixian ships (this one can take a lot of maintenance), greek ships etc

If you want to bug fix and maybe continue a mission opx Ionics is ideal. Galileo has gone for ages and this opx is open ended.

I cannot say that Aegidian opxs are abandoned since all the community live with the hope that someday Giles will return, even as an opx writer and maintain them himself.

But keep in mind those things
1.Make sure by confirming with at least 2 elder members of the community that this opx is abandoned.
2.PM the original author and notify him for your intentions.
3.Notify the community for the oxps you want to adopt in case someone else want to adopt that same oxps with you (Yes we have such an incident very recently with Deposed)
4.Put your updated opxs in the wiki.
5.Give credit in the readme file to the original author.

I strongly recommend and support the adoption of old and abandoned oxps but without the proper organization and coordination the whole effort will bring chaos (Multiply versions of the same oxps, original authors returning and see that their opxs have taken a direction that they never want without their permission etc)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sorry about that. I couldn't find any information on who actually changed asteroids last.

Eric's name didn't appear on the readme, and yes, I did assume it was semi-abandoned. I didn't notice LittleBear's name either, but I'll try and make amends!

I've been in contact with Charlie, thanks to this post and he's been Ok with me mucking in. If everything goes well you're talking to a future Benobuliweed Franchisee/Enduntured Slave already.

Once again, apologies to the people I haven't contacted, and I'll try to be more scrupolous in future.

[ EDIT: ] thanks for the suggestions about which oxps to tackle next, I'll check them out. As for asteroids.oxp, it was meant as an updade to eric's update, so I'll ask him what he'd like me to do.

Cheers,

Kaks[/b]
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I still believe that the best approach is an updated asteroid storm

I really don't know how oolite will react if you install (by mistake or ignorance) both asteroid storm and asteroids (2 oxps with almost the same context)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I can answer that! The oxp that's loaded last (in alphabetical order) will overwrite the same name ships/planets/asteroids. As far as I can tell the asteroids inside asteroid storm have got different names. (that's why I thought they didn't have anything to do with each other).

When the engine populates the ooniverse, it simply has more asteroids to choose from, in this case two sets of near identical twin asteroids with totally different names.

I've got both oxps on my svn (debug) build of oolite and they don't seem to have any problems with each other.

Anyway, I've just PM'd both Little Bear & Eric Walch with apologies. I could kick myself. I really don't know why I didn't check more thoroughly before posting my version of asteroids.oxp.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Maybe our Supreme Grand Admiral could sticky this (to go with the million other stickies on this forum :D ) so the 'Adopt An OXP Today' thread would draw attention and cause other individuals with time (and scripting skill, i.e. not me) to take on few few of our neglected children and give them a good seeing to.

No, wait. That sounds so wrong. I mean, of course, taking these orphaned children and thrashing out their faults.

That wasn't much better. I mean fixing the damn errors.

Better. :wink:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Kaks wrote:
Sorry about that. I couldn't find any information on who actually changed asteroids last.
I can't believe this. The discussion about asteroids is only two weeks or so old, so how could you have missed it?

I think the very first prerequisit for anybody who wants to maintain OXPs (or get more deeply involved in scripting and/or programming) is to follow the discussions here closely. All discussions.

And the second prerequisit is to use the search-function on the boards thoroughly. One very quick search for "asteroids" would have revealed the whole discussion to you in seconds' time.

If you don't fulfil these two prerequisits, then you'd better don't even think about intermingling with other people's work here.

And as far as asteroids.oxp itself is concerned: Thanks for your effort (and good intention), but as the whole OXP is superfluous in the first place, your work was in vain. Please take it off the wiki completely, so that no future players/scripters will get confused again about it. Thank you.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello Commander McLane. Once again I'm really sorry about a very bad case of oversight on my part. I would like to answer the points you've just made, though.

While it's true I'm not completely new to oolite. - I was lurking around when 1.62 was released - I've been very busy in between, and didn't get a look at the board - and oolite - until I posted about compiling from svn inside the pc forum.

I did miss the discussion about asteroids.oxp because I wasn't on the board at the time.

And when I googled for it, it was only showing two results on the first page, and they both pointed at Charlie being the author of the oxp. Just googled again, to be doubly sure: the first one of 2 results points at my 'newly new' post now. :oops:

Since Charlie's name was the only one inside the readme from the wiki, I - foolishly, as it turns out - thought it would be ok to update it if Charlie was happy with it.

I had spoken to Charlie already, (here) and he's been very supportive about me mucking around with his old stuff & post any changes I make.

Since I've joined the board I've been looking at all the threads, and I'm slowly making my way through the backlog of stuff I missed. There's a lot of stuff to take in, and it's taking me some time...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi Kaks,

never mind me sometimes being a bit "overly clear" (some people would say "rude"). I apologize for that. And actually, as far as the asteroidstorm vs. asteroids-issue is concerned, the debate between myself and Eric Walch isn't yet over (see the other thread).

And for the rest of it, allow me just one remark:
Kaks wrote:
And when I googled for it,
Why would you do that? I am of course speaking about the search-function here on the board. Look on top of this page. There you find, beneath the headline "Oolite Bulletins//For information and discussion about Oolite" the toolbar, with very handy functions like "FAQ", "Search", "Memberlist", "Usergroups", "Profile", "You have ?? new messages" and "Log out". The second one is "Search" and opens a search-mask. This is what you use in order to find everything that ever has been said and done on this board, not Google. And this is the first place you should look, in order to know whether a topic you want to raise has been discussed before, or a question you have has been answered before.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oooopsie!:oops:
I'm used to boards with next to useless search functions, so to find anything on them, the best thing to do was to google them. This newfangled working search function will take some time to get used to!

About your 'overclarity': nicht der Rede wert! :)
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

@ Kaks:

My thanks to you.

My .oxp's are probably renowned for their sloppy coding & half finished state (many worse).

While I'm glad to say I'm back, my habbits are unlikey to change - all help will be kindly accepted.
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Maybe our Supreme Grand Admiral could sticky this (to go with the million other stickies on this forum :D ) so the 'Adopt An OXP Today' thread would draw attention and cause other individuals with time (and scripting skill, i.e. not me) to take on few few of our neglected children and give them a good seeing to.
Captain Hesperus
I think this would be helpful in the future.Second that
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I just uploaded new versions of: LongWay.oxp, SpyHunter.oxp, Taranis.oxp.

No new features but these were the last three that still were not mission-clash protected. This was bad as these three all play in galaxy 1 and are the first few mission oxp's a new commander will try out. None had version numbers, so I all gave them version 1.1.

As far as I am aware now all mission oxp's that are listed on the wiki are mission offering aware and won't overwrite any active mission screen, but politely wait until the mission screen is released by an other oxp that showed its simultaneously message first.

Also gave these 3 (and 1 other mission) a mission page of their own on the wiki to start their download. I changed all the different wiki pages were one could start a download to this page. This to avoid that the download link is updated to a new version at the main oxp page while any of the other pages still pointed to the old version.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Bravo Eric - on behalf of the rest of the Commoonity I praise your continued efforts!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I'd just like to let you know that SpyHunter 1.1 comes Selezen Approved!

Gods bless Open Source.