Drake II

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Drake II

Post by Cmdr James »

In trunk, on leopard, MacBook pro, all the latest patches etc.

If I buy a drake, and it seems to be only the drake, without an upgraded laser, I dont get any forward weapon. There used to be a problem with trunk that if the weapon was not a pulse laser it was not loaded, but I have that fix in my verson of the code.

Also, the drake II hud does not overlay properly, the hud background is approximately 1 cm too far down the screen.

This is interesting, I can buy a fer de lance, which has a default BEAM laser forwards, and this works fine, so it is not always the case that an upgraded laser is a problem.

The clipper SAR hud works fine and that is another exampe of a non standard hud.

I do not have any hud oxps, like military hud installed.

I dont know much about OXP development, and nothing looks wrong in the OXP as far as I can se, but I dont really know.

Are these known problems?

Does anyone have any ideas what the cause might be?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

This also occurs, same pair of symptoms, with Asp I.

The shipyard.plist looks fine.

I can buy lasers for the ships, I just dont get them when I buy a ship.

Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

Edit: I am not actually playing oolite for fun when this occurs, just testing trunk to see if I can find any problems.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Prolly something wrong with the OXPs and how the new Oolite version handles some settings... Both ships, if I remember correctly, should only have forward viewing gun mountings (or perhaps it was forward and aft)...

I'll look into it and release a new version of the OXP by the weekend! I'll add in a new ship while I'm at it... :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The reason for the missing lasers on the Asp (and probably on any other ship with this symptom) is that the "asp-player" shipdata.plist definition is missing the forward_weapon_type key. Try inserting

Code: Select all

forward_weapon_type="WEAPON_BEAM_LASER";
in the aforementioned definition and you should be able to buy an Asp with beam laser as default.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

another_commander wrote:
The reason for the missing lasers on the Asp (and probably on any other ship with this symptom) is that the "asp-player" shipdata.plist definition is missing the forward_weapon_type key. Try inserting

Code: Select all

forward_weapon_type="WEAPON_BEAM_LASER";
in the aforementioned definition and you should be able to buy an Asp with beam laser as default.
@Ahruman: Please add this to the next release. A quick look over the shipdata.plist shows that the asp-player is the only ship that lacks the forward_weapon_type, which is surely by mistake. (Although I'm wondering why the shipyard.plist-entry isn't sufficient to give it that weapon.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Player ships have a separate set of weapon types, ignoring the two that are defined in other ships. Why? I have no idea. Possibly they’re used for different things, or one is accidentally used when the other should be.

Anyway, I’ve changed it to have a pulse laser, thus conveniently matching what’s in shipyard.plist.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I've updated the Wolf's variants OXP in the wiki. The weapons should now work properly in all included ships - I hope and cross my fingers... :?
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Nice :D
It would be good if you give to your OXP a version number to seperate it from the previous version. Also in the previous version there was a readme txt, now it is gone.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Good call, Ark!

If I understand anything about the Wiki (I really haven't worked that much with those, so I fear I could easily make mistakes), there should now be a new version with a readme file included. The package as a whole is untouched, so no changes there.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Also a v1.5 in the index of wiki oxps would be good (like little bear did in Random Hits). That way the new visitors in the oxp page will be informed about the new version. I strongly recommend that approach to all oxp writers after downloading a new version in the wiki.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

You're forcing me to learn new things about Wikis! :o

Anyway, done!
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Wolfwood wrote:
:shock:
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Ark wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:
Yes, even editing the text is new to me... The code is so unfamiliar to one who's got used to BBcode, HTML, PHP and (many years ago) Basic etc.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Wolfwood wrote:
Ark wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:
Yes, even editing the text is new to me... The code is so unfamiliar to one who's got used to BBcode, HTML, PHP and (many years ago) Basic etc.
Hey, don't worry. I was a complete dunce when it came to Wiki'ing when I first started editing the venerable Wiki and now I'm conversant in both MediaWiki and OpenWikiNG (well, mostly conversant in OpenWikiNG, I'm still stumbling over the syntax).

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

You can find most of what you need to to know about MediaWiki editing in their Reference card.

Happy editing,
Oscar