hyperradio

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

hyperradio

Post by Svengali »

Listen to your radio station and enjoy Jazz, Folk, Rock or whatever you like. Use one station for all systems or expand it, so you will get different programs in different systems. You can even add your own music to the playlist. So rip your CDs, download songs, or install one or more of the available musicpacks. Everything is possible - and travelling will be much more fun - even 'milkruns' won't be boring business anymore. And with the capacity to be expanded by other users creating their own musicpacks it will always be the right investment.

[EliteWiki] Hyperradio
[EliteWiki] Musicpacks
[EliteWiki] Howto do musicpacks

This is my 'thank you' for all the help in the last two month. :D
Last edited by Svengali on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I saw that a lot of people have downloaded this sweety little OXP. But no response...
The updated version for 1.70 is ready and the version for Oolite 1.65-1.70.

(The links have changed too. Edited above links)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hyperradio_js_OXP

Don't use both versions together!
Last edited by Svengali on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've not ben able to use it yet, I'm in Prague for a short vacation, but am very interested to give it a go.

What do you other guys think of it, I've always wanted to play some of my own stuff.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

If you are on 1.70, better use the js version. Expanding descriptions does not use random entries and the javascript version has a workaround. I don't know if the expansion is based on the seed, but I've got strange results in all versions (1.65,1.69.1 and 1.70). And it will NOT play the same song again and again. Maybe it is possible to read-in the whole entries from descriptions.plist into an array and use math.random???
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

At the moment, the only way to get an array from a plist into a JS script is to use a ship with script_info (or use the console script, but that’s even less useful here). I’ve added a note to the scripting requests thread, which I might even get around to reading some day. :-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thanks Ahruman,

that would be a really helpful thing. Are you never sleeping?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Okay. It's on the WIKI

But I'm not shure about placing this sweety on the OXP-Page. The question is what category is this one. It is related to the sound-, ship system- and eye(ear)candy-category. So what do you think?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I'd say Equipment, since you can fit it to your ship.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

An OXP can be in more than just one category (like for instance Cargo and Wrecks). Just put it in all fitting categories.
zimmemic25
Competent
Competent

Post by zimmemic25 »

I cant play my OGG files!
i added them to the array, theyre in Sounds directory, but the script doesn't play them. It says Connection Established, but there is no music.
the sounds like Laser or spawning are playing, but the music not.

i cleared the cache (removed the cache-file), but it still doesnt work!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

zimmemic25 wrote:
I cant play my OGG files!
i added them to the array, theyre in Sounds directory, but the script doesn't play them. It says Connection Established, but there is no music.
the sounds like Laser or spawning are playing, but the music not.
That can have different reasons.
1. The Hyperradio is a device that you must buy on a station like other devices. It is only active IN_FLIGHT. Have you pressed F7 (SYSTEM_DATA_SCREEN)? Is it in the list if you press F5?
2. Which version of Oolite are you using and which version of hyperradio (legacy or js) has this problem?
3. And what kind of OS is it (Win, Mac, Linux)?
4. Additionally what kind of ogg-file is it? Ogg-files are just containers so it is possible to 'create' a ogg-file with an mp3 inside. I have to check if it's working with Oolite. I've tested it with ogg-vorbis and wavs in different versions (44,1+48 KHz, 1+2 channels, 111-192 kbps and filesize 120 KB-16,0 MB). More channel files seems to be reduced to stereo.
5. Have an eye on the naming of your ogg-files. Never use a leading 0 (zero) or other numerics, because JS will interpret this not as a string.
zimmemic25
Competent
Competent

Post by zimmemic25 »

1) i bought it. its in the list. and i pressed f2-f9!
2) both
3) linux
4) ogg-vorbis, ripped from CDs AND directly loaded from the internet (legally)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

You told me (pm) that the included example files are working. So please take a look in your own ogg-files. Open it with a texteditor. The magic word should be OggS.
Or with a hex editor (something like this)
4F 67 67 53 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2A 59 -> OggS
00 00 00 00 00 00 77 16 7E 6D 01 1E 01 76 6F 72 -> vorbis
62 69 73 00 00 00 00 02 44 AC 00 00 00 00 00 00
03 EE 02 00 00 00 00 00 B8 01 4F 67 67 53 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2A 59 00 00 01 00 00 00
3A 7F 4E 0B 10 2D FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
For a deeper look into the ogg-structure:
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/

PS: I've used Audacity for converting my own files. It is available for Mac, Linux and Windows
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I've just added the latest test-results. The only cross-platform type is ogg-vorbis. The supported sample range is 22.05KHz - 96KHz and only for 2 channels (Mono and Stereo). More channel files will be reduced by Oolite to Stereo. The table of tested formats can be found on the WIKI

The tested systems are: Linux Ubuntu, Mac OS X, Win 2000 and Win XP

Thanks to all testers :D

If you are on Oolite v1.70 and want to check it too, just send me a pm to get a link to a test-oxp. More results would be nice.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I've just changed the Hyperradio to OpenStep. I think it is a better and easier way to change the 'playlist' (descriptions.plist). So v1.03 is online.

But why is the array in equipment.plist not closed like other arrays (semikolon)? I had to use:

Code: Select all

(
(
	"Hyperspace Radio",
	"EQ_HYPER_RADIO",
	"Your best friend on a long journey. This is a 20 days licence.",
	{
		available_to_all = false;
	}
)
)
The other form (with semikolon) causes problems.