Behemoth Spacewar

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Behemoth Spacewar

Post by Eric Walch »

I added today a new OXP to the wiki: Behemoth Space-war 1.0

This OXP has no functionality of its own, it completely depends on the graphics incorporated in "Behemoth.OXP" from Aegidian and "Thorgorn Threat" from Arexack Heretic.

What does it?

The Behemoth is designed to attack the thargoids in witchspace. Than he is very powerful with strong defense-ships that launch on an attack. The default oolite thargoids have no change against the strength of the Behemoth. Therefor Arexack Heretic created several stronger thargoid ships that also appear in witchspace to bring the powers in the universe into balance.

But in normal space the behemoth looses mostly its powers to launch defenders and only looks for thargoids, that are very rear in normal space. This OXP restores it's launch capabilities in normal space and sometimes places two behemoths, two thargoid cruisers and two thargoid battleships in normal space on such a path that they eventually must meet.

Go to downloadlink: Behemoth Spacewar

This OXP also includes much improved code for carrier ships with on board fighters to be used by other OXP writers.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Nice work, Eric! I suppose the Thargoid Carrier and the Navy Leviathan (from thargoidcarrier.oxp and military.oxp respectively) will be next on your list.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Capt. Hesperus wrote:
Nice work, Eric! I suppose the Thargoid Carrier and the Navy Leviathan (from thargoidcarrier.oxp and military.oxp respectively) will be next on your list.....
Not realy, but I looked at the Thargoid Carrier and my version had a copy of the Behemoth Carrier AI as AI file. That was always wrong as the Behemoth mainly scans for thargoids and ships aiming at him. Scanning for thargoid is not wat a thargoid carrier scould do. At least the scanForHostiles should be altered in scanForMerchantmen or better scanForNonThargoid.

I use scanForOffenders in my carrierAI but that only works well with policeClass. But the Thargoid Carrier will do wilt my AI if it also used scanForNonThargoid

With the new rolesystem for Oolte 1.70 things will be more flexible to program than it is now.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Behemoth Spacewar

Post by Fatleaf »

Hi Eric, I was going through the OXP List and putting Y's into the working boxes of oxp's I have tested and saw that this was blank. Does it work with 1.76? If so I could Y the box? I see it was updated on Mar 31, 2012 but it is good to check.

Thanks.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Yes, this oxp should be working fine with any Oolite 1.74 or newer version.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
Yes, this oxp should be working fine with any Oolite 1.74 or newer version.
Thanks for the positive reply :D
I sent a few PM's to folks that didn't have specific threads dealing with the oxp and so far every answer back has been the same! which is: "Don't know, why don't you test it and see" :?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I have a small proposal/suggestion about this fine oxp. Currently behemoths are spawned with

Code: Select all

system.addShipsToRoute("behemoth", 2, 0.4, "wp")
To my understanding this might spawn two behemoths of the same name. On top of that, if the actual Behemoth oxp has already spawned a behemoth to the system, there might even be 3 behemoths of the same name in system!

I suggest using worldScripts.behemoth.uniqueBehemoth() from the Bememoth oxp to spawn unique behemoths.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Good idea, I'll change it that way.

It will require the Behemoth.oxp version 2.5 as minimum, but I assume everyone will already using hat one or a newer version.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

What is the current deal with this one?

Is all the relevant functionality now built into Behemoth.oxp (now version 3.1.1)? Or does it still do something useful?

And how does it relate to Galactic Navy.oxp?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

At this point, this OXP can be considered a Depreciated and/or Broken OXP.

Other OXPs/OXZs do similar functionality and are still being somewhat maintained.