Military Fiasco not starting?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Military Fiasco not starting?

Post by lolwhites »

I downloaded the Military Fiasco mission nearly a month ago. I got all the messages at the start, but have yet to come across any of the missing ships. Is that normal?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

They are added randomly. You could just have been very unlucky and not encounted a stolen Military Ship yet. They're out there though! Military is really a feature of the Ooniverse once it starts. Get on with your Oolite buisness and kill Military ships when you come accross them.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

LittleBear wrote:
They are added randomly. You could just have been very unlucky and not encounted a stolen Military Ship yet. They're out there though! Military is really a feature of the Ooniverse once it starts. Get on with your Oolite buisness and kill Military ships when you come accross them.
I can varify that. I have the Military Mission, haven't had the briefing but every so often I get jumped by a Basilisk or Hydra and once (briefly) a Rattle Cutter (at least I think it was, there were lots of lasers coming from a single tiny source that ate shields (with Shield Boosters) and Energy banks in seconds and forced me to 'I' boost to safety.

Captain Hesperus
"That's a nightmare I still wake up sweating from."
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

OK, all I have left to do now is find the Leviathan. I keep coming across a "Military" one accompanied by a couple of Wolf MkII's but I assume that's not the stolen one as it never attacks me, and lets me dock.

Do I just wait for it to appear somewhere or is there something I should do?
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Re:

Post by Bogatyr »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
LittleBear wrote:
I can varify that. I have the Military Mission, haven't had the briefing but every so often I get jumped by a Basilisk or Hydra and once (briefly) a Rattle Cutter (at least I think it was, there were lots of lasers coming from a single tiny source that ate shields (with Shield Boosters) and Energy banks in seconds and forced me to 'I' boost to safety.

Captain Hesperus
"That's a nightmare I still wake up sweating from."
With 1.77 and MF I also have experienced an ordering strangeness (part of the fiasco? :) ) -- first I encountered some of the ships, then I got "Military Fiasco" status update screens upon docking, and then just recently got the mission introduction.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Re: Military Fiasco not starting?

Post by Rogue7414 »

So far I've come up against all three types of ships, mainly Hydra's and Rattle Cutters and only a Basilisk once, after killing ten of the stolen ship types I got a message saying well done and carry on the good work. So I'm assuming I'm doing it right and it'll fall into place as and when. :?
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Rogue7414 wrote:
So far I've come up against all three types of ships, mainly Hydra's and Rattle Cutters and only a Basilisk once, after killing ten of the stolen ship types I got a message saying well done and carry on the good work. So I'm assuming I'm doing it right and it'll fall into place as and when. :?
Are you running 1.77? As I have done this one a few times on 1.76 with no issues. If so it might be a 1.77 only problem.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Yep, I'm on 1.77, but I started MF when I was running the previous version. I take it to get to the stolen military ship you have to kill a prerequisite amount of ships and then the location of the base will be given?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Yep, I'm on 1.77, but I started MF when I was running the previous version. I take it to get to the stolen military ship you have to kill a prerequisite amount of ships and then the location of the base will be given?
I don't want to give any spoilers away but you should have had a mission screen before any ship encounters.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

I did after I installed the MF OXP, stating that some prototype ships had been stolen and would I be interested in tracking them down and destroying them. The picture is the Galactic Navy Badge with the music playing in the background, same picture again when you get an update, is this what you meant?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Rogue7414 wrote:
I did after I installed the MF OXP, stating that some prototype ships had been stolen and would I be interested in tracking them down and destroying them. The picture is the Galactic Navy Badge with the music playing in the background, same picture again when you get an update, is this what you meant?
Yup, that's the one :D

So it looks like all is working properly. Just go about your normal play and things will happen.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

In the original version, there were no update screens. Than it could take a long time till the next regular mission screen. The updates were added to show that the mission is still active.

Before the first mission screen it is possible to see the special ships in space, but with a very low probability. And the more ship oxp's you have added the less of them you see outside the mission. During the mission itself, a fixed number is added and they are seen much more frequent.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Fatleaf wrote:
Rogue7414 wrote:
I don't want to give any spoilers away but you should have had a mission screen before any ship encounters.
The order for me on 1.77 was definitely: 1) ship encounters, 2) update status screens, 3) mission intro
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Bogatyr wrote:
The order for me on 1.77 was definitely: 1) ship encounters, 2) update status screens, 3) mission intro
That is definitely a bug, but one with a very low probability. Before the mission offer they are added with low probability and you need to kill 5 before you get an update screen.
And the mission is already offered with a score >1000 and a bounty < 5. So, probably you stayed a long time away from clean.

I will add a check to make sure you never receive an update screen before the mission was accepted.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Eric Walch wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
That is definitely a bug, but one with a very low probability. Before the mission offer they are added with low probability and you need to kill 5 before you get an update screen.
And the mission is already offered with a score >1000 and a bounty < 5. So, probably you stayed a long time away from clean.

I will add a check to make sure you never receive an update screen before the mission was accepted.
(Bogatyr has filed a formal name change with GalCop restoring his original name, CmdrLUke)
No, I never maintain a bounty for long because I visit seedy space bars frequently. I'm pretty sure I started encountering the ships before 1000 kills but can't swear to that.