Test Ship Model

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Test Ship Model

Post by phkb »

This is a utility mod that allows you to quickly and easily view a ship model from the game. This utility uses features in Oolite 1.91, so for the moment, it's only available to players using Trunk.

A quick screenshot to start:

So, from the readme:
When docked at a station, an F4 interface will be available, called "Test Ship Model". When you select this, you will be asked to enter the ship's data key to display. Enter that key, and press enter.

At this point, you will be shown the ship. You can now use the arrow keys, the page up/dn keys, and the yaw keys (, and .) to rotate and zoom the ship. You can increase or decrease how far one keypress will move the ship by using the + and - keys.

R will reset the view back to the initial position.

N will return to the screen where a new ship data key can be entered. Previous ships you have viewed will be listed as well. Use a number to select one of those ship keys instead of entering another data key. The last 15 ships will be displayed, and the list will be saved with the save game settings.

H will hide the instructions, which will be displayed with the ship model. Pressing H again will bring the instructions back.

If the ship model uses the personality property to change the skin or colour of the ship, you can enter a personality number by pressing the number keys. As you do, the "New personality" item will show in the instructions. Once you have entered the desired number, press P to set the personality to this value.

Pressing ESC will return you to the F4 Interfaces screen.

And that's it, really. Nothing too fancy, but show-casing a bit of what we can now do with mission screens.

Download here: TestShipModel.oxz
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Test Ship Model

Post by Griff »

This is awesome! Thanks for making this phkb, it going to make checking textures on ships for mistakes when OXP'ing so easy, think i can finally retire the spawn script i usually use :D
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Does this oxp works in linux? I get the ship but then most keys lock, I escape via 3/f3 4/f4...
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Are you running the latest trunk? It won’t work in 1.90, and it needs some updates I added to trunk a few patches back.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

1.91.0.7303 doesnot cut it...

The more recent github 1.91's do not startup et al... ( 19,20 and 21 ubuntu variants )
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

cbr wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:21 pm
1.91.0.7303 doesnot cut it...

The more recent github 1.91's do not startup et al... ( 19,20 and 21 ubuntu variants )
Alarmed by your post I checked on my system.
The version I had installed is 1.91.0.7504-231001-c90ee13. It seemed to work, although I saw some situations that were strange but might come from an unfortunate combination of OXPs.
Then I upgraded to the latest version available just now: 1.91.0.7507-231013-e45bc49. That also seems to startup well.

I am on Ubuntu 22 LTS. You seem to have tested everything before that.
For your information, Oolite gets built in Github on Ubuntu 22. Maybe that's why.

@Devs: Just suppose we find out one day that Oolite does not start up. How can we go to previous versions to check when it stopped working?
Github only has one latest build of 1.91 available.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:23 pm
@Devs: Just suppose we find out one day that Oolite does not start up. How can we go to previous versions to check when it stopped working?
Github only has one latest build of 1.91 available.
Meanwhile I have an answer to that question.

I modified the Github workflows so the releases are no longer named 'latest' and overwrite each other. Instead, the full version number is shown, which
- allows us to keep more than one prerelease build
- allows us to easily reference them since the full version is used as a git tag

If you are now worried that we are piling up too many prerreleases: We only keep the latest 8 - any excess will get cleared automatically. Let's see how far we get with this number.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite