Free To A Good Home

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Free To A Good Home

Post by Killer Wolf »

After investigating this mission stuff, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the time to learn/test/fiddle about ineptly w/ this scripty stuff, so if anyone can find a use for this model, have at it. Described in the official listings as "a fixer-upper", or as estate agents euphemistically say, "has potential".

bit of a large file, has script to spawn on launch,left over from testing, otherwise is bare-bones oxp.

https://app.box.com/s/jfl3jy9cbbaqchqwm7mfi5f9o9uf5122

cheers
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Free To A Good Home

Post by Cholmondely »

Thanks for posting this.

If you wish, I might be able to point you to one or two other missions which emulate what you were trying to do.

This OXP (Wrecked Coriolis & Wrecked Viper) has been added to the wiki under Category:Navies page (it includes war-related oxp's in the guff at the top), Griff's Coriolis (Burning) page, Brilliant but broken... & your OXP authors page.

Edited to add: There is further discussion of this OXP (and some superb screenshots of it) starting here in the Screenshots thread
Last edited by Cholmondely on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

thanks, but i had a look at the stuff you DM'd me a ways back ~ it's just a question of free time; can't get my head around a bunch of the stuff and haven't got the time to experiment, would rather spend spare time modelling my next thing.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:21 am
if anyone can find a use for this model, have at it. Described in the official listings as "a fixer-upper", or as estate agents euphemistically say, "has potential".
:lol:

Impressive. I'd like to use it (please) for systems that meet all of the following conditions...
  • 'beset by occasional civil war'
  • government type is multi-gov or more dangerous
  • nearest neighbour is also similarly dangerous (just to add an external variable)
Add a random chance of fines/bribes upon docking, bargain basement goods (quick sale wanted), maybe no fuel for sale (almost everyone wants out) and a dash of refugee cruisers leaving the station/headed to the star...

I think that might make its appearance quite rare (may need adjusting depending upon how rare exactly), affected systems more memorable and also make the civil war descriptor carry a little more trepidation for the player reading it.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:24 pm
Impressive. I'd like to use it (please) for systems that meet all of the following conditions...
  • 'beset by occasional civil war'
  • government type is multi-gov or more dangerous
  • nearest neighbour is also similarly dangerous (just to add an external variable)
Add a random chance of fines/bribes upon docking, bargain basement goods (quick sale wanted), maybe no fuel for sale (almost everyone wants out) and a dash of refugee cruisers leaving the station/headed to the star...

I think that might make its appearance quite rare (may need adjusting depending upon how rare exactly), affected systems more memorable and also make the civil war descriptor carry a little more trepidation for the player reading it.
Umm! You can dock with that wreck? How? Who will be there to supervise the process? How accurate are the remaining computer systems? Are there any remaining systems? And where does your ship go - the insides have been blown to Kingdom Come!

You can do business on that wreck? Is there anybody still there? And how can you find them?

Griff's burning coriolis might be a better bet for your scintillating scenario. It is rather more intact.

But your scenario is very appealing.

And yes, Killer Wolf's wreck is crying out for a good use!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Well, I see a docking port...

If that proves impractical then why not a nearby dockable bulk hauler?

The point would be that it's not really overseen, rather the opportunists are moving in.

If it's not GalCop that's doing the selling anymore then those taking advantage likely want very quick sales (alloys should be very cheap if nothing else).
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:01 pm
You can dock with that wreck?
The dock is still specified in the shipdata, so, yes it should be dockable.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

like i say, anyone please feel free to make whatever use they can!

can dock w/ it, the wreckage/cables have no impact on a Cobra 3, so i'm guessing most other ships should be able to slip in no trouble. currently there's no market Plist set up, and it has minimal power/health so you'll probably want to change that or you might accidentally blow it up.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Takes nearly no effort to remove this station's shipyard, as it probably lacks spare docking berths for spare ships anymore.
For the same reason, there would be few defense ships or scavengers docked.

I'd say jack the equipment/fuel prices way up (4-10x normal) and set that to low tech level so maybe fuel is all that can be bought.

A problem I've found is editing some of the station's stats...they get replaced by the system's tech level and market for instance if the station spawns as that system's main station.
A way around that is add this after the main station is created, then destroy the main station so this gets promoted to main station status.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

equivalentTechLevel and equipmentPriceFactor should work for you to achieve those outcomes.
JiCeyCraft
Above Average
Above Average

Post by JiCeyCraft »

Question is : can we repair this station?
I'm maybe not lucky but I work hard and smart to compensate.
Trust AND Honesty are The Two Main Conditions for a Solid Friendship.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

could be a good mission - ferry materials in and see the station gradually repair. COuld have several models w/ fewer holes etc, gets replaced when you've delivered a certain amount of goods etc.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:29 pm
could be a good mission - ferry materials in and see the station gradually repair. COuld have several models w/ fewer holes etc, gets replaced when you've delivered a certain amount of goods etc.
That would be pretty similar to what builder games like Settlers, Command'n'Conquer or Age of Empires do.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If it happens too often, maybe everyone gives up making good on repairs and just tows a Rock Hermit station near the planet and calls that the main station. :lol: