Alien Systems OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Alien Systems OXZ

Post by Redspear »

At last the long WIP Station Variation emerges.

The new title is chosen to better represent the expanded scope of what the oxp will hopefully eventually encompass.

The newly released v 0.1 is just a script that will send messages from non colonial stations and as such contains some details that are not yet implemented.

Disclaimer: This oxp deliberately plays with stereotypes. The stereotypes relate to the animal types in question and, although flavoured by the authors real experiences around stereotyping, no inhabitant type is meant to represent any real group of people or combination of such. Wishing to foster intergroup tensions within a fictional setting and (especially) between fictional groups is in no way an expression of a wish to promote such in real life. If any comment is intented at all then it is only to satirise such thinking. The chief goal however, is amusement: firstly my own and secondly (perhaps) that of anyone who gives it a try.

Rather than spam the player with constant messages they're currently set to mean that you might only receive more than a few if waiting in a docking queue. There is a fair amount of humour (YMMV) contained within and at least two truly awful (but mercifully rare) jokes. Any lines not to the users taste can easily be removed/replaced by editing the descriptions.plist

My favourite is perhaps the lobsters. I'm not quite sure what mental state I was in when I was writing that stuff but I'm glad I captured it in some form :P
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Alien Systems OXZ

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:37 pm
At last the long WIP Station Variation emerges.

The new title is chosen to better represent the expanded scope of what the oxp will hopefully eventually encompass.

The newly released v 0.1 is just a script that will send messages from non colonial stations and as such contains some details that are not yet implemented.

Disclaimer: This oxp deliberately plays with stereotypes. The stereotypes relate to the animal types in question and, although flavoured by the authors real experiences around stereotyping, no inhabitant type is meant to represent any real group of people or combination of such. Wishing to foster intergroup tensions within a fictional setting and (especially) between fictional groups is in no way an expression of a wish to promote such in real life. If any comment is intented at all then it is only to satirise such thinking. The chief goal however, is amusement: firstly my own and secondly (perhaps) that of anyone who gives it a try.

Rather than spam the player with constant messages they're currently set to mean that you might only receive more than a few if waiting in a docking queue. There is a fair amount of humour (YMMV) contained within and at least two truly awful (but mercifully rare) jokes. Any lines not to the users taste can easily be removed/replaced by editing the descriptions.plist

My favourite is perhaps the lobsters. I'm not quite sure what mental state I was in when I was writing that stuff but I'm glad I captured it in some form :P
Happy New Year!
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Mausnoab Williamston
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Mausnoab Williamston »

Happy new year!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Mausnoab Williamston wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:35 am
Happy new year!
Happy New Year! :D

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:31 am
Happy New Year!

Unh... where is it? I see the political correctness, but not any script.... I presume that is adjudged the more important of the two in our glorious modern era.
And to you too!...

In the config folder (assuming you mean the script rather than the oxp?)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Got it!

Thank you!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

"Caution, oh promiscuous ones! Do not risk actching 'apes'!", (Lobstoids)
catching?
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:25 am
catching?
Damn it! Yes 😅
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Great stuff - very funny. A few suggested additions.

"bird-messages"
"Oh, Willow, Titwillow, Titwillow." (From Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado)
"Preening in public is highly discouraged."

"feline-messages"
"Scent marking in public will not be tolerated unless a direct threat can be proven in a court of law."
"Please remember that non-feline species often carry things in open boxes. Feline waste disposal units are clearly marked."

"frog-messages"
"Eye licking is not meant as a sign of boredom."
"Free ear plugs may be acquired upon docking as in season croaking can get quite loud."

"humanoid-messages"
"All furry species will please refrain from combing non-head hair in public."

"insect-messages"
"It is not the number of legs that matters but the proper use thereof."
"A lecture on the merits of six versus eight will be given tonight in the main auditorium."

"lizard-messages"
"To all non-native species please remember that the flicking of the tongue is not meant to be sensual."
"Head bobbing is a sign of aggression and will be considered actionable."
"Please avoid the flashing of neck dewlaps in public."

"lobster-messages"
"All quantities of melted butter will be confiscated upon docking."
"Please be advised that Carapace Replacement Therapy is not a wise choice due to molting."

"rodent-messages"
"Should the native population spike please be advised that all air locks will be disabled."
"Cheek pouches will be checked for non-food items."
"All quills and tails are to be kept in a non-aggressive posture."
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now up: Alien Systems OXZ
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Nite Owl wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 pm
Great stuff - very funny. A few suggested additions.
Gad you like it :)

Nite Owl wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 pm
"Head bobbing is a sign of aggression and will be considered actionable."

"All quantities of melted butter will be confiscated upon docking."
Looking at the messages in the oxp you should see that nearly all of them (especially when rule-related) are aimed at 'foreign' visitors.
It's a design choice to both make the player feel that the system is more strange and further to suggest that (in at least some cases) the welcome might be paper thin.

So the two examples above would fit into that approach. I may have made the birds a little more amenable than some of the others and so your bird messages could fit as well.

Of course if anyone wants to post any ideas here then not only would they be welcome (thanks :D ) but would also serve as options for anyone wanting to edit their own version. Perhaps someone who likes my idea but not where I've taken it or just doesn't find me funny.

Loads more to come with this oxp, not so much with the messages (then again you never know), but with other details.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:08 am
catching?
Damn it! Yes 😅
Sorry - missed these:
birds:
"Unassisted flight, other than in the alloted areas, is strictly forbidden.",
allotted

"Feather Tokens, other than those in the posession of fully licenced %I Shamans, will be confiscated upon discovery.",
possession, licensed

insects
"Aliens are to remain within the hangar areas at all times unless registerd slaves.",
registered

"The removal of unlicenced Gem-Stones from this station is punishable by extermination.",
unlicensed

lizards
"Tonight on %H News: Can our leaders really be Humanms in disguise? Grand conspiracy or tasty snack?",
Humans
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Sorry - missed these:
allotted
possession, licensed
registered
unlicensed
Humans
This is why I barely touch the wiki 😅
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:00 am

Sorry - missed these:
allotted
possession, licensed
registered
unlicensed
Humans
This is why I barely touch the wiki 😅
And that's why it's good that we're a community - you can help me where I can't cope (dark side disasters), and I can help you out a little here and there...
Comments wanted: