Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined OXZ

Post by Redspear »

I became distracted during oxp updates and this was the result...

Although complete and working there are already changes planned (some almost certain, some much less so).

• If using this oxp...
    • Galactic Hyperdrive is no longer a one charge item
    • however, it must be charged in order to be used
    • it requires fuel scooped directly from a star in order to be charged (likely not just any star in future versions)
    • upon entry to a new galaxy there is a random amount of 'spacetime reorientation' adding potentially 'days' onto the ship's clock

Although working as described above, it doesn't yet store the state of the fuel (I need to work out mission variables) upon the player saving a game.

Also, I don't yet know enough about the standard oolite missions in order to ensure that it doesn't interfere with them too much.
  • However, on that point...
    • 'spacetime reorientation' can be as little as one second
    • if not expendable then the hyperdrive could still be rendered damaged (where necessary)
Therefore, if sufficient checks were in place then both oxp consistency and compatability need not be mutually exclusive... I think.

Anyway, I like it and it's coming soon so watch out! :P
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined OXZ

Post by Cody »

Redspear wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:35 pm
... upon entry to a new galaxy there is a random amount of 'spacetime reorientation' adding potentially 'days' onto the ship's clock
Nice!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Well done, sir!

Have you given any thought to cim's related experiment?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Thanks both.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 am
No, I'd forgotten about that.

After a quick look however, it seems that cim has changed just the filling and I just the bread of the galactic hyperspace sandwich (much bigger than a space pizza).

Without code diving in order to make sure, they should play together just fine.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 am
Thanks both.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 am
No, I'd forgotten about that.

After a quick look however, it seems that cim has changed just the filling and I just the bread of the galactic hyperspace sandwich (much bigger than a space pizza).

Without code diving in order to make sure, they should play together just fine.
1) Cim's oxp was merely a proof of concept. I was wondering if your ideas extended to improving on it.

As he wrote on his user:page:
Retired OXPs

These are OXPs I wrote once but no longer maintain. Feel free to take over any of them if you want!

Talkative Space Compass - an upgrade to the Advanced Space Compass (Oolite v.1.79 has a HUD component which does the same thing better)
Enhanced Misjumps - an extra graphical effect for misjumps. (Other OXPs do misjump visual effects much better, and I'm not even sure if this one still works in v.1.79)

Galactic Misjumps - reach intergalactic space, if you dare. (Needs someone with more time to make something more interesting of it - it's just a proof-of-concept at the moment)

2) I was also wondering if it might be possible to design a different experience for the BGS effect.

Current effects (Vanilla, old BGS, new BGS, SOTL):

Edited to add: I got this wrong. The newer BGS changes the colour to purple for an intergalactic jump

Last edited by Cholmondely on Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:30 pm
1) Cim's oxp was merely a proof of concept. I was wondering if your ideas extended to improving on it.
Maybe one day but it's a separate thing to my mind. Mine is about the conditions and results of a successful jump, cim's the conditions and results of an unsuccessful jump. Certainly related but it's nice to be able to order things separately sometimes rather than having the entire buffet.

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:30 pm
2) I was also wondering if it might be possible to design a different experience for the BGS effect.
I was wondering that too... 'Possible' will be a yes but unless I develop something original then which one is standard for which player?

Incedentally, I do have an idea for something quite original (at least in terms of oolite) but then it's beyond my current ken to produce it (as it would have been to produce this oxp some years ago).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:01 am
Dear, dapper Digibetan, duly debted.
Happy New Year!

With Hiran in a state of utter confustication about Galactic Hyperdrives, I've had reason to reread the writings about your reimagination, and have just realised that it is rechargeable. Rechargeable Reimagination?

When do you hope (as you suggested above) to combine the recharging with your twiddle from your Star Fuel OXP and have only the fuel of certain stars work?

This could create an adventure recharging the hyperdrive in the same way that there was originally an adventure finding where to buy another! Do you have any other ideas up your sleeve?
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Happy New Year!

I think it might be best left as it is for now. Reason being that I think this oxp might be a better answer to the question of where does fuel scooping fit into the game than star fuel oxp (the latter also has an annoyingly b-movie type name, even if it is a utilitarian one).

With regards to adding on time, are there any time sensitive, cross galactic missions in the core game? I'm not aware of any and contracts seem to be always within the same galaxy map.

Now that wildblood's oxp has been mentioned however, I could add a more restrictive scooping requirement for jumping to further galaxies if that oxp were in play.

e. g. Standard jump to next galaxy (one link along the chain) = any star
Furthest possible jump (4 links along the chain, assuming circular nature) = largest stars only
... and gradations in between for 2 or 3 link jumps.

But then this is yet another idea of many and my coding (such as it is) can't keep up.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:55 am
Happy New Year!

I think it might be best left as it is for now. Reason being that I think this oxp might be a better answer to the question of where does fuel scooping fit into the game than star fuel oxp (the latter also has an annoyingly b-movie type name, even if it is a utilitarian one).

With regards to adding on time, are there any time sensitive, cross galactic missions in the core game? I'm not aware of any and contracts seem to be always within the same galaxy map.

Now that wildblood's oxp has been mentioned however, I could add a more restrictive scooping requirement for jumping to further galaxies if that oxp were in play.

e. g. Standard jump to next galaxy (one link along the chain) = any star
Furthest possible jump (4 links along the chain, assuming circular nature) = largest stars only
... and gradations in between for 2 or 3 link jumps.

But then this is yet another idea of many and my coding (such as it is) can't keep up.
I didn’t think that Wildeblood’s OX2 allowed one to jump more than the one galaxy - just that it offered a choice in the next galaxy as to where you end up (see map on the wiki page).
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:07 am
I didn’t think that Wildeblood’s OX2 allowed one to jump more than the one galaxy
I expect that you're right and it's likely my rushed reading.

The same logic I expressed above could be similarly applied in both cases however (if some locations were considered 'further' than others).