RELEASE: Adder MkIII

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

RELEASE: Adder MkIII

Post by Killer Wolf »

Following my previous comments about "step-up" ships for trading, and cbr's imagery, here's an Adder upgrade - based off the King Cobra escape capsule rather than the ship herself.

slightly tweaked stats so that's it's a worthy upgrade but not too silly. i classed her as MkIII on the premise that the core ship was MkI and Griff's was the MkII.

https://app.box.com/s/gajh2oeyz3223vuuoyj6v999r0xu3du2

as an aside, does anyone know why placing flashers is so problematic? i've triple checked placement and they still don't seem right - the x values are identical but the green is slightly off the wing and the red appears to be slightly inside :-/
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: RELEASE: Adder MkIII

Post by Old Murgh »

Killer Wolf wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 am
Following my previous comments about "step-up"..
Very nice, kind of shady, and appropriately downclassed for the intended price point.

If it’s cheaper than a Cobra1, maybe consider adding it to a custom “LaveInitialShipyard”?
Killer Wolf wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 am
as an aside, does anyone know why placing flashers is so problematic? i've triple checked placement and they still don't seem right - the x values are identical but the green is slightly off the wing and the red appears to be slightly inside :-/
I’ve been doing a lot of those lately and can’t say I experience a systematic offset. One of the reasons I’m obsessive about placing outer vertices on round, clean coords is so I’ll always easily see that my symmetry is retained and have fast and easy plotting for flashers and such.

You have triple checked that the dat you exported hasn’t had a tiny shift?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Looks great as usually, MK III is a good choice because a MK II already exists: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Adder_Mk_II
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

I planned on getting a Cobra Mk II-X as an upgrade for my Cobra Mark I, but maybe I'll take this one instead.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

just spotted a log note than the missile launch position was wrong, new version uploaded.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

That is awesome! Really beautiful work Killer Wolf :D
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

I modified the model very slightly, because at some places with the right lighting it seems like there are edges, where there shouldn't be any. I mainly used blenders "Auto Smooth" function for that.

Here's the download if anyone is interested.
(I did the same also for Staer9's Cobra Mk II-X, so if someone wants that, I can also upload it).

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Griff wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:26 pm
That is awesome! Really beautiful work Killer Wolf :D
High praise, coming from you. thank you, sir :-)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

If you can get me the ship specifications (and some blurb) I will with pleasure put together a wiki page...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

After receiving KW's approval this morning, an expanded version of the Adder Mark III is now available on the expansion manager:

Overview
========

Isis Interstellar's upgrade of the old and maligned ship. Aimed at small-time and new traders,
the ship has improved speed and cargo capacity. An ideal 'stepping stone' ship for those aspiring towards
a big trader like a Cobra Mark III.

History
======

While neither most of the different variants of the Adder nor the Adder Mark II ever had a proper license Isis Interstellar's
Adder Mark III had all the necessary steps taken to register the ship design in the companies name.

To attract more clients, soon the enhanced Adder Mark III-E was introduced to the market. This version offers better
maneuverability and 1 additional pylon and mount in exchange for only 2 t of cargo space.

Remarks
=======

Inspired by cbr's imagery on the board (viewtopic.php?p=285753#p285753) Killer Wolf created the Adder Mark III based on the model of the Kings Cobra
Mark II escape capsule, rather than the one of the original Adder. However, like all of his designs, the result is
certainly a esteemed addition to Oolite.

This ship fits nicely with the core-ships, no multiple lasers and definitely nothing "ueber".

Beginning with V 1.51 the Adder Mark III-E is featuring the HUD of the Vampire VI.

Credits
=======

Killer Wolf (author, model, basic textures and basic specifications)
tsoj (tweaked design of the model)
Griff (model and basic textures of the standard escape capsule)
another_commander (basic specular map of the standard escape capsule)

Requirements
============

Oolite V 1.88 or higher and a video card capable of supporting Oolite shaders.

Compatibility
=============

Version 1.01 and version 1.51 are fully compatible, you can run them simultaneously. However, in the
ship library you will find the ship twice.

Details
=======

For additional details, please check the wiki-page: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Adder_Mark_III

License
=======

This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).
To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0

Version History
===============

V 1.51 (Montana05, 2022/09/23)

removed a test routine
added the HUD from the Vampire VI for the Adder Mark III-E

V 1.50 (Montana05, 2022/09/22)

included 2 additional texture sets (blue and red)
added an enhanced Adder Mark III-E (red set)
now 5 NPC and 3 player variants are available
replaced the model with tsoj's design
some small tweaks to adjust better with other OXP's
attached a small script for cargo and escape capsules

V 1.01 (Killer Wolf, 2022/07/23)

corrected missile position

V 1.00 (Killer Wolf, 2022/07/19)

KW's introduction of the Adder Mark III
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

montana05 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:04 am
After receiving KW's approval this morning, an expanded version of the Adder Mark III is now available on the expansion manager:
Very nice!
One thing that I noticed was that in the description onf the III-E it says that it only has 2t of cargo space, but in the shipdata.plist it says 5t for the player version of the III-E.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

tsoj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:07 pm
montana05 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:04 am
Very nice!
One thing that I noticed was that in the description onf the III-E it says that it only has 2t of cargo space, but in the shipdata.plist it says 5t for the player version of the III-E.
The Adder II-R only got 2 t, simply because the original Adder Mk II was too much "ueber". The Adder Mark III-E got 5 + 5 t. Did I mix it up somewhere ? As mentioned in the past, my specialty is copy & paste errors. :oops:

EDIT:

Wait, do you mean this one:
"buydesc" = "Isis Interstellar's enhanced Adder Mark III, better maneuverability and 1 additional pylon and mount in exchange for only 2 t of cargo space.";

I was trying to say that you get more lasers, missiles, and shields but lose 2 t of cargo for that. I might need to reformulate a bit to make it clearer. :roll:
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

montana05 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:40 am
"buydesc" = "Isis Interstellar's enhanced Adder Mark III, better maneuverability and 1 additional pylon and mount in exchange for only 2 t of cargo space.";
Yes, that's what confused me (it's also in the shiplibrary.plist).
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

tsoj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 am
montana05 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:40 am
Yes, that's what confused me (it's also in the shiplibrary.plist).
You are correct, I will try to make it more clear and upload another version.]

EDIT:
New version is up, hopefully this time more clear.