Missing Ship Specifications

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Missing Ship Specifications

Post by Cholmondely »

Thanks to Montana05 & Murgh we've seen the addition of many new ships to the Ship Library/View Ship Specifications database.

But this means that the lack of in-game information about the following is now much more pointed.
Behemoth
Deep Space Dredgers & bits & bobs

Anarchies - Hacker Outpost, Salvager Hognose & Phoenix (not sure about adding the rest)
Commies - Astromine Penal Colony, Astromine Guard, Collective ZGF, Ray Mk.I, Giant Ray, Astrogulag Mining Pod, Astrogulag Scavenger Ray, Worker's Commuter, SLAPU (ditto)
Dictatorships - add Imperial Freighter, Tanker & Prison Ship (and change master category of Imperial Astrofactory)
Feudal States - Jäger, Korvette, Zerstörer, Royal Hunting Lodge
Free Trade Zones
Random Hits OXP - Space Bar, Mining Pod, Autominer. But what about the non-Vanilla ships?
Rescue Stations - RSS station, Arafura, black box, solar thingy etc.

Miner Cobra
Generation Ships

Lave Academy There is just the one - should it have a ship library entry?
Superhub
Torus Stations

Galactic Navy

Ice Asteroids - both Staer9's & Griff's.

Are there any important ones which I've missed?

I'm willing to help do this. Any ideas? Or others with similar concerns?

Reference: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shiplibrary.plist (now updated to be more useful).

And how does one use "oolite-ship-library-classified" & "oolite-ship-library-unknown"?

This first post is being continually updated (to create a directory to the finished shiplibrary.plists)

Edited to add Random Hits (I never realised how much it adds to Oolite!) & Rescue Stations

I'm also pondering adding this in to the next release of Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics).
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 am, edited 16 times in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Missing Ship Specifications

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi

i would like to help ( something like that -- i am able to do )

fx:
I'm willing to help do this. Any ideas? Or others with similar concerns? (NB: I utterly failed to change the category of the Imperial Astrofactory).
i think you wanna have it under "Installations" in "Ship Library"
simply set
"class = "station";
in shiplibrary.plist.

btw. its not easy to help
- no upload in Wiki
- missing/wrong description of functions/variables
- new undocumented features
- the copyright problem
- nobody who manages "ideas/tweaks"

matthias
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
ATI Radeon R7240 XFS / Samsung TV 40" 1080p
C-Media CMI8738 / Yamaha RX-V575 / DIY-Speaker
Logitech Attack3 & standard german keyboard
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 pm
But this means that the lack of in-game information about the following is now much more pointed.
Behemoth (?)
Deep Space Dredgers & Sabers..
Don't see why any additional library info couldn't be in a supplementary OXP, no need for surgery on the original files.
That should be easy, oldskool tech. Writing interesting concise texts is the hard work :wink:
Those entries go into a shiplibrary file..

For one big CompleteLibrary.OXP, even if one didn't have all the OXPs installed it shouldn't matter, those entries wouldn't show up if Oolite can't find a correct shiplibrary object anywhere that is referred to, with a correct model. –Or one could make many small companion OXPs. Best to start with that.

In some cases, the existing categories won't be suitable enough. For instance, for the Behemoths, bulkies and generation ships I'm playing with now, some new ones were needed. These new cats go in a descriptions file.
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 pm
And how does one use "oolite-ship-library-classified" & "oolite-ship-library-unknown"?
These are just secretive/redacted fillers for the stats sections, to avoid revealing everything about Vipers and Constrictors etc.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Don't see why any additional library info couldn't be in a supplementary OXP, no need for surgery on the original files.
That was my original idea. But there are so many oxp's that it seems ridiculous to add another one just for this. The number of oxp's must be truly daunting for new players, and there seems no good reason to leave the details out of the original oxp's.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:00 pm
i would like to help ( something like that -- i am able to do )
Thank you, Sir Matthias!

Which would you like to start off with?

Or, possibly, which ones were the very first which you downloaded?
Comments wanted:
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi Cholmondely

...later ( this causes a longer answer )

i'll go get some "night beer"

cheers
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 pm
That was my original idea. But there are so many oxp's that it seems ridiculous to add another one just for this. The number of oxp's must be truly daunting for new players, and there seems no good reason to leave the details out of the original oxp's.
Yes, you are potentially describing a ship's Encyclopedia Galactica. Big librarian's job.

Are you thinking to offer supplementary library.plist (and descriptions.plist if needed) for the user to place inside the Config themselves, made available on the OXP's wikipage, –or actually to integrate and re-upload the these OXP/OXZs? :shock:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:31 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 pm
Yes, you are potentially describing a ship's Encyclopedia Galactica. Big librarian's job.

Are you thinking to offer supplementary library.plist (and descriptions.plist if needed) for the user to place inside the Config themselves, made available on the OXP's wikipage, –or actually to integrate and re-upload the these OXP/OXZs? :shock:
I'm not suggesting that we do all of the ship oxp's - just the most popular ones.

We can't go for #2 until Sir Winston has finished with his work on the wiki. So #1 will have to do for now.

The great advantage of your .oxp suggestion, now that I sit back with a gin-and-tonic and think about it, is that we could translate everything into Cavezzi!
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 pm
I'm not suggesting that we do all of the ship oxp's - just the most popular ones.

We can't go for #2 until Sir Winston has finished with his work on the wiki. So #1 will have to do for now.

The great advantage of your .oxp suggestion, now that I sit back with a gin-and-tonic and think about it, is that we could translate everything into Cavezzi!
It's possible you could stage a little cavezzi coup with a sneaky override OXP. :lol:

Yes, prioritising is a good idea. See if your G&T helps you with some fun blurbs.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:03 pm
Yes, prioritising is a good idea. See if your G&T helps you with some fun blurbs.
Looking at yours, I see that you have included summaries. Where do I find a list of the various possibilities? And do these summaries do anything?

Code: Select all

{
        class = ship;
        description = "The Bushmaster Miner is a professional vessel, manned only by operatives belonging to the Mining Guild. Dillllligently mining, these ships are offered extra protection by GalCop.";
        ship = "relop_bushmaster";
        summary = "[oolite-ship-library-summary-MT]";
    },
Comments wanted:
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi
why? there is a description in the oxz-manager.

matthias
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

The shiplibrary is a great concept but nowadays is getting a bit unorganized and, from my personal point of view, could use some improvement. A search function for example would be nice.

Since authors (including me) seems to have a habit to create their own categories now there are a lot of them. My first suggestion would be to enhance the existing core categories. I started with my resource pack already to add more police crafts and military ships, which in my latest release, I renamed to warships. Additionally, I added Alien Ships.

However, Murgh is right, no need to check for licenses, if we create an independent file there will be no problem. For maintained OXP's it's later just a copy & paste to include the relevant ships in the package.

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:05 am
Looking at yours, I see that you have included summaries. Where do I find a list of the various possibilities? And do these summaries do anything?
Yes, these summaries add more details, MT for example would be medium transport. Same like categories, the summaries should be expanded accordingly.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:05 am

Code: Select all

{
        class = ship;
        description = "The Bushmaster Miner is a professional vessel, manned only by operatives belonging to the Mining Guild. Dillllligently mining, these ships are offered extra protection by GalCop.";
        ship = "relop_bushmaster";
        summary = "[oolite-ship-library-summary-MT]";
    },
Just that line does very little, just states the category that is requested –in this case, MT, resulting in showing the words "Medium Transport".

The whole roster of library categories is in Oolite main's descriptions.plist, down a little below the middle.

Just had to check, that typo was corrected.. :oops:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 am
The whole roster of library categories is in Oolite main's descriptions.plist, down a little below the middle.

Just had to check, that typo was corrected.. :oops:
1) Do you mean in the Vanilla game code?

2) No, I exaggerrrrrated it to make it stand out.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Slartibartfast wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:11 am
Hi
why? there is a description in the oxz-manager.

matthias
For the player who is playing in-game - the library can be checked when docked (F4 Ship Specifications) or just before choosing a New Commander/loading an old Commander. It's vanilla game code.
Comments wanted: