BGS 2.5.1 but with the old hyperspace effect

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

BGS 2.5.1 but with the old hyperspace effect

Post by tsoj »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:02 am
I much prefer your older spiderweb witch-tunnel effect to the newer.
BGS 2.5.4 - like 2.5.1 but giving the option to use the old hyperspace animation

What I did was basically replace the Config/effectdata.plist entries "bgs_hyper" and "bgs_hyper_redux" in the 2.5.1 version with the ones from the old 1.10.9 version. Then I looked at all the files that the 1.10.9 entries referenced (such as bgs_hyper.dat or bgs_hyper_redux.fragment) and copied these from the old version to the new one.

This made it work, however, the nice red-ish effect when doing a misjump didn't appear. This was because some uniforms weren't set correctly. That was a bit more tricky to find and fix.
Last edited by tsoj on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: BGS 2.5.1 but with the old hyperspace effect

Post by Cholmondely »

tsoj wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:13 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:02 am
I much prefer your older spiderweb witch-tunnel effect to the newer.
BGS 2.5.1 - but using the old hyperspace animation

What I did was basically replace the Config/effectdata.plist entries "bgs_hyper" and "bgs_hyper_redux" in the 2.5.1 version with the ones from the old 1.10.9 version. Then I looked at all the files that the 1.10.9 entries referenced (such as bgs_hyper.dat or bgs_hyper_redux.fragment) and copied these from the old version to the new one.

This made it work, however, the nice red-ish effect when doing a misjump didn't appear. This was because some uniforms weren't set correctly. That was a bit more tricky to find and fix.
You!

You, sir, are truly wonderful!

Whom do I contact to get them to double your salary?

It no longer works with Halsis or with BGS sounds - but I'd much rather have the spiderwebs! ...and I presume that to fix it, all I need to do is tamper with the Identifier/version number in the manifest.plist
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:13 pm
It no longer works with Halsis or with BGS sounds - but I'd much rather have the spiderwebs! ...and I presume that to fix it, all I need to do is tamper with the Identifier/version number in the manifest.plist
Ah yes, I changed the identifier, now that I am thinking about it that wasn't such a good idea. Tell me if changing the identifier in the manifest.plist worked, then I will update the link for people wanting to try this in the far future.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

tsoj wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:14 pm
Ah yes, I changed the identifier, now that I am thinking about it that wasn't such a good idea. Tell me if changing the identifier in the manifest.plist worked, then I will update the link for people wanting to try this in the far future.
I bodged it! But just updating the version number on the original manifest.plist should have the same effect, no? But as stated above, given the choice between your version and the Halsis/PAGroove sound set-supporting original, I'll take yours every time.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

tsoj wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:14 pm
Yup! I'd left out the edited manifest.plist when I zipped the .oxz. It now works just fine, no error messages about Halsis, wonderful spiderweb, other visual sequences look good, etc.

Link now up on BGS page in wiki (will update when you tweak the .oxz).

Hope all is well at your end. How are things?
Comments wanted:
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:20 pm

Okay, I updated the download (link should be the same). The identifier is now the same as the one from the original manifest. I tried it with the BGSSoundset, and it seems to work.

Things are good for me, even though the recent news have been quite depressing.
Haven't played much Oolite this year, been mostly focusing on my bachelors thesis and another hobby of mine: chess engine programming (very addictive ...).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

tsoj wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:11 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:20 pm

Okay, I updated the download (link should be the same). The identifier is now the same as the one from the original manifest. I tried it with the BGSSoundset, and it seems to work.

Things are good for me, even though the recent news have been quite depressing.
Haven't played much Oolite this year, been mostly focusing on my bachelors thesis and another hobby of mine: chess engine programming (very addictive ...).
Bachelor's thesis - is that for one of those European 7 year bachelor's degrees?

Again, thank you so much for updating/backdating/downdating BGS. It is now perfect!

Do you think it makes sense to add it into the Expansions Manager - or might it make more sense to produce a third version giving choice of effect (via Library for example?) and add that one instead? Or is it fine as it is?
Comments wanted:
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:24 pm
giving choice of effect (via Library for example?)
That sounds like a good idea, I will look if I can do something in this direction.

Bachelors thesis is the last examen one has to take for a bachelors degree. For the course I took (computer science), the "regular" study time is three years, though I took a bit longer (four + 1/2 years if I counted correctly and everything goes to plan now).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Choice of hyperspace effect (via Library) would be very handy, tsoj.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Updated the link. The setting to enable the old hyperspace animation can be found under the BGS flag setting "Old Hyperspace" in the Library OXP config interface.

The OXP is now labeled as BGS 2.5.3. I guess I could put it on the expansion manager, it would then however co-exist with the previous versions 1.10.9 and 2.5.1.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<downloads .oxz → transmogrifies it into a .zip → extracts .oxp → swaps buy and sell sounds for Oolite's default buy and sell sounds → configures .oxp via Library> I don't know how many times I've swapped those buy and sell sounds out over the years!

That all seems to work fine, tsoj - and the old hyperspace effect looks stunning! Muchas gracias!

Now to convert it all back to a .oxz and insert it into my ManagedAddOns folder
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

I made a small mistake ... :oops:
The colors of the 2.5.1 jump animations were a bit different from what they were supposed to be.

Sorry Cody if you have to swap buy and sell again (though the old 1.10.9 version was working properly, so if you only want that, the update will make no difference). If I remember correctly, on Windows you can copy and move files inside zip directories without unzipping them, by the way.
Cody

Post by Cody »

tsoj wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 am
... on Windows you can copy and move files inside zip directories without unzipping them...
Yep, I think you're right - but I always forget, and stick to my old method.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

The old version needs CCL - unlike the now 3 new versions which need Library.

I think it might make most sense (1) to keep the old version saved only on the wiki for those wanting to download it & remove the link to it from the Expansions Manager and then (2) replace the new version with yours, Tsoj. I suspect that this would be a task for Phkb, if we're not driving him nuts (and presuming he agrees!).
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:39 pm
I suspect that this would be a task for Phkb, if we're not driving him nuts...
He's already nuts!