[WIP] Contextual Jukebox OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[WIP] Contextual Jukebox OXP

Post by arquebus »

I don't know what I'm going to actually call it... maybe I'll keep it Contextual Jukebox? No idea.

Anyway, this is a placeholder for work I'm going to start tonight digging apart the orchestral music oxp and shoving new guts in. The plan is to add more variation to the music for each event or area, and make the in-space music more "ambient" or "environmental."

EDIT:
Here is the link to version 0.2:

OXP folder: https://app.box.com/s/453g1khs7a9uephfjglsq6zu4kd2grsu

It's about 115MB. I expect it will get smaller over time as I make more/better decisions about what tracks to include.

The OXZ file is not...right. It fails to load due to a bad manifest? I think it's because I zipped it on a Mac, which creates a special hidden folder. I try to zip it on Windows but I can't figure out how to remove the hidden .zip extension. So for now, OXP folder only.
Last edited by arquebus on Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Contextual Jukebox OXP

Post by arquebus »

So here's a question: in the orchestral demo oxp there is the following line:

worldScripts.Lib_Music._addChannel({name:"Rock Hermit",sounds:[

And according to the wiki, this can be done for all station names. Is this essentially matching *any* station with "Rock Hermit" in the name? Or is this a specific station type that is called "Rock Hermit" regardless of what its actual name is?
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

The "name" parameter basically means the string you get when calling someShip.name. To find the exact name for some station, you need to look at the according shipdata.plist. For the core stations, you can find this shipdata.plist file somewhere in the Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Config/shipdata.plist. Maybe on Windows this is somewhere else, but probably somewhere similar.

When I look there, I find the following names:
  • Coriolis Station
  • Dodecahedron Station
  • Icosahedron Station
  • Rock Hermit
  • Training Station
Every station of type "Rock Hermit" is included in the radio channel, even if to the player it appears to be a station named "Rocky Rock".
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Got it! So if an OXP adds stations, that will add to the list the game sees, beyond the ones you listed. I'll start with those 5 and then build out as needed.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Oh my god it works.

It actually works.

Making my next episode now, with all this lovely music.
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hmm .. Jukebox?

i have had a similar idea.

==>> https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=279837#p279837

meanwhile i have ~100 different songs on docking.....

cheers
matthias
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
ATI Radeon R7240 XFS / Samsung TV 40" 1080p
C-Media CMI8738 / Yamaha RX-V575 / DIY-Speaker
Logitech Attack3 & standard german keyboard
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Oh that's exciting!

Mine's not really a jukebox, it's just slightly more varied version of the orchestral demo oxp.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

The OXP is here: https://app.box.com/s/0pr4nlpjjzb51uwfd6cve5n1602msefr

There are definitely some issues at the moment, mostly involving tracks cutting short. That may be my error (both in track selection and in identifying the durations correctly). I'll have a look at it some time this weekend.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

arquebus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:58 am
There are definitely some issues at the moment, mostly involving tracks cutting short. That may be my error (both in track selection and in identifying the durations correctly). I'll have a look at it some time this weekend.
This may happen intentionally when some music is playing and then an event happens. Then the current music gets suddenly stopped, and the new music sets in. Unfortunately, when Music gets stopped, it currently can't be made to fade out nicely. This would probably need some changes in the core Oolite code. Or perhaps it's indeed just wrong duration times :).

In case you use any OXP that manipulates the time factor at which the Oolite simulation runs (i.e. speeds up time), then this can also be a cause for music cutting off early. However, as far as I know, you should need to have a trunk version of Oolite for this time factor to be modifiable, so if you don't, then this shouldn't be relevant for you.

In the script, you should put exitMain and exitSun under planetOut, and not under planetIn. I think how it is now, both exit categories are just ignored.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

tsoj wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:25 pm
This may happen intentionally when some music is playing and then an event happens. Then the current music gets suddenly stopped, and the new music sets in. Unfortunately, when Music gets stopped, it currently can't be made to fade out nicely. This would probably need some changes in the core Oolite code. Or perhaps it's indeed just wrong duration times :).
I definitely ran into that, but I also ran into situations where there was no event shift - the music really just stopped. For those it's surely a combination of durations and music that was intended to be looping.
In the script, you should put exitMain and exitSun under planetOut, and not under planetIn. I think how it is now, both exit categories are just ignored.
Ah ok! I'll update that. Orchestral demo oxp didn't have that so I didn't know where to put it.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I updated the script, posted it separately because the whole thing is huge and it's silly to re-download for just a single text file.

https://app.box.com/s/pokymm2b58mn2x1phnf04f38kuq5gnie
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:40 pm
I updated the script, posted it separately because the whole thing is huge and it's silly to re-download for just a single text file.

https://app.box.com/s/pokymm2b58mn2x1phnf04f38kuq5gnie
Would it make more sense to do two separate files: One with the mechanics (for which Library is also needed) and a second with the music (easier to update)?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Probably, but I didn't think of it. :D

What I will do now, though, is upload two versions: one that's the OXZ file (assuming I did it right), and one that's just the folder. That way people can update parts or whole, as desired.

Here's the (updated) OXZ file: https://app.box.com/s/bn5effwkuefrulzfml1e7zr8wgg072qm
Here's the (updated) OXP folder: https://app.box.com/s/453g1khs7a9uephfjglsq6zu4kd2grsu

For this version I recommend just grabbing the OXZ since I ended up renaming some of the files, so the Music folder in the OXP is completely different and the filenames don't necessarily match up. If there are further updates I won't rename files.

I've removed almost all of the looping music. What's left of the looping music I put in a fade in the last few seconds so it's not super jarring. The new OXZ is only about 115MB.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:04 pm
Probably, but I didn't think of it. :D

What I will do now, though, is upload two versions: one that's the OXZ file (assuming I did it right), and one that's just the folder. That way people can update parts or whole, as desired.

Here's the (updated) OXZ file: https://app.box.com/s/bn5effwkuefrulzfml1e7zr8wgg072qm
Here's the (updated) OXP folder: https://app.box.com/s/453g1khs7a9uephfjglsq6zu4kd2grsu

For this version I recommend just grabbing the OXZ since I ended up renaming some of the files, so the Music folder in the OXP is completely different and the filenames don't necessarily match up. If there are further updates I won't rename files.

I've removed almost all of the looping music. What's left of the looping music I put in a fade in the last few seconds so it's not super jarring. The new OXZ is only about 115MB.
Well done you! Downloading now.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome to the darkside! Cookies are in the jar!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!