Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.92 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated 12.08.23)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.92 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated 12.08.23)

Post by LittleBear »

The OXP is documented on the Wiki at the link below in my signature.

The OXZ can be downloaded in game from the Expansion Pack Manager under the Ambiance Category.

This OXZ adds unique and persistent names to all stars, planets, gas giants, asteroids and space stations in all 2,048 star systems. Also adds a list of all artificial and natural satellites to the F4 Screen and a purchasable MFD Unit to view information whilst in flight.

Edit: Update to Full Version 0.92 (12/08/23).

Updates in Version 0.92:

Full Version 0.92 - 12.08.23. This Version makes corrections to the shipdata and script timers suggested by PHKB. Lowers the Version Requirement to 1.80. Corrects some typos spotted by Commander Arquebus. Improves the name pools for Kiota Stations. Adds hand written names to the Hacker Outposts, Imperial AstroFactories, RRS Mining Outposts, Sentinel, Hathor, Nephthys & Nuit Stations, BioSpheres and Zieman Habitats. Adds 2 more news broadcasts. Increases the number of hand named systems (760).

This OXZ requires Version 1.80 or higher of Oolite. It is compatible with all other OXZs and has no dependencies. Please note however that the In-System Cargo Delivery OXZ refers to planets by the system name and orbital position (eg: Lave II, Lave III, Lave IV etc) rather than the name of the planet. If you are at Lave, for example, with Strangers World installed the first OXZ planet in the system will be named Imperious II but In-System Cargo Delivery will refer to it as Lave II. You will know which planet to go to however as the roman numeral in the description will be the same.

The expansion is an ambience expansion and therefore makes no changes to either the gameplay or difficulty of the game. Other than upgrading the Advanced Space Compass to add OXZ gas giants, planets and moons, the expansion makes no gameplay changes. As any OXZ celestial bodies which exist in your game will be visible to your Mark I Eyeball, adding them to the Advanced Space Compass does not change the difficulty of the game. The OXZ is all text and its code only runs when a system is being populated. It does not put any additional load on Oolite and will run on any computer. To play the OXZ, download and install the OXZ from the in game Expansion Pack Manager. If you have an older version of the expansion in OXP format installed, then you should delete the old version from your AddOns folder.
End of Edit

When in flight, names and distances of all stars, planets, moons, stations and orbitals can be viewed by cycling through the ASC targets with #

If you have purchased a Galactic Almanac MFD Unit (available at Tech 8 or higher for 350 Credits), names and information on all stars, planets moons, space stations, weapons and ships can also be viewed whilst in flight.

When docked at any Station or Carrier or whilst landed on any planet or moon, the Almanac can be viewed on the F4 Screen.

If Planet Fall is installed then landing sites on planets and moons are also named and described.

All naming systems can be turned on or off individually in the Settings Menu.

Other OXZ writers can use the Random Generator to generate names to use for naming ships, stations or planets. The example in the screen shot below, shows the generator running with the style set for ground based landing sites. The styles used can be set in the descriptions file to generate names in different styles. Several hundred different styles are included in the description file.

Edits: Update to V0.91
Last edited by LittleBear on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 39 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Beta 1

Post by Cody »

Thankee - grabbed!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Thanking you sir.

Looking very much forwards to trying out your handiwork!

Just started a new Jameson to properly enjoy the experience.

Initial ruminations (just Lave & Zaonce so far).

Wonderful, thank you. Comprehensiveness is very impressive.

*Would abandoned rock hermits be listed as abandoned? Would it make more sense if they were named and their abandonment left for discovery?
*Stranger's World KOS stations seem not to be named.
*Bizarre GNN news item which read: Random_stations_names_1_news

Oh - Cavezzi a real delight!
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The Abandoned Rock Hermits are added by Spara's Spiecey Hermits OXP. Normally they just appear as "Abandoned Rock Hermit". But as a handwave that on being abandoned the GAL-ID unit was removed and so the have the same name format I just added to the dispay names ": GAL-ID Unit Off Line". The OXZ does a general neatening of naming to match up with the Random Ship Names Style. So all Objects appear as AUTHORS NAME: Name of Station. So as Rock Hermits people are living in will appear as "Rock Hermit: John's Claim" etc, ones that have been abandoned appear as "Abandoned Rock Hermit: GAL-Unit Off Line". Your Gal-ID software is not recieving any becon signal from the object you have targeted so reports this. Expensive things those beacon transmitters. They are salvaged and the hermit stripped of all its equipment before being left to drift as an abandoned one. ;-)

I haven't been able to find a download link to Stragers OXP. Its fairly easy to add a station type to the naming pools (one line of code), but I'd need to know the station's unique role to assign it a naming pool.

The news thing is a bug.

Edit. Tested it again and its not a problem on Windows. However, are you playing on Mac or Linux? This is a known pain in the ass. Some characters are valid on windows but not other operating systems (and visa versa). As the OXZ name lists contain a lot of norse, russian sweedish names with non standard characters if one has slipped through the descriptions file will have a letter in it which is fine on windows but not on the Mac. If there is even one illlegal character in the whole of the text in the descriptions files then OOlite will not read any of it. I'm fairly sure that is why you are getting the unexpanded varable name rather than the actual text. The star, planet, moon and station names and the almanac screens text are stored in the script and mission text files (so I know they are okay on your system). The news broadcasts and also the names for the planet fall sites are stored in the descriptions file.

As a test, could you go to the Settings Screen and turn on the Procedural Generator. On the Generator Page are the names actual names or unexpanded mission variables. If so it is definatley an illegal letter somewhere. Fortunatley it is fairly easy to track down where the blighter is hiding.

If you have a look at the F4 screen, I've shortened text on the first line from the standard layout to keep things neat with the longer station names. the first line. Does it say "Links for YOUR SHIP NAME & STATION NAME" as shown in the screen shot above? If it doesn't then it is definatley because the descriptions file isn't been read on your OS.

Could you open your latest log file and search for RandomStationNames

It will jump you to some text that will say:-

could not phase Randomstationnames description.plist, illegal charcter at line XXXX

I will then send some assassins to take care of it. As it is a legal character on Windows though I don't get an error report. So will need someone with the operating system installed to locate it.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:40 pm
The Abandoned Rock Hermits are added by Spara's Spiecey Hermits OXP. Normally they just appear as "Abandoned Rock Hermit". But as a handwave that on being abandoned the GAL-ID unit was removed and so the have the same name format I just added to the dispay names ": GAL-ID Unit Off Line"

I haven't been able to find a download link to Strangers OXP. Its fairly easy to add a station type to the naming pools (one line of code), but I'd need to know the station's unique role to assign it a naming pool.
There is no Strangers OXP. Stranger's World is a suite of some 20 or so OXPs. Orbital Stations gives the stations but will not run without Planetary Systems (has 8 optional texture packs) & Sun Gear - and is better with Habitable Planets, too etc. Everything is on the in-game Expansions Manager, apart from the stuff still in Russian which I presume is available through Roolite.
Your oxp is naming his planets & moons (as you expected).

References:
Stranger's World - essay on SW, list of OXP's
Orbital Stations
The news thing is a bug.

Edit. Tested it again and its not a problem on Windows. However, are you playing on Mac or Linux? This is a known pain in the ass. Some characters are valid on windows but not other operating systems (and visa versa). As the OXZ name lists contain a lot of norse, russian swedish names with non standard characters if one has slipped through the descriptions file will have a letter in it which is fine on windows but not on the Mac. If there is even one illlegal character in the whole of the text in the descriptions files then OOlite will not read any of it. I'm fairly sure that is why you are getting the unexpanded varable name rather than the actual text. The star, planet, moon and station names and the almanac screens text are stored in the script and mission text files (so I know they are okay on your system). The news broadcasts and also the names for the planet fall sites are stored in the descriptions file.

As a test, could you go to the Settings Screen and turn on the Procedural Generator. On the Generator Page are the names actual names or unexpanded mission variables. If so it is definitely an illegal letter somewhere. Fortunately it is fairly easy to track down where the blighter is hiding.
When I turn on the Procedural Generator the page changes and I see five lines in the middle each of which says - wait for it -

[random_stations_generator_list] !

I then press the refresh button, and ... wait for it ... get exactly the same thing all over again!

I don't see the links page (but so far everything - has been on the F4 screen)
If you have a look at the F4 screen, I've shortened text on the first line from the standard layout to keep things neat with the longer station names. the first line. Does it say "Links for YOUR SHIP NAME & STATION NAME" as shown in the screen shot above? If it doesn't then it is definitely because the descriptions file isn't been read on your OS.

Could you open your latest log file and search for RandomStationNames

It will jump you to some text that will say:-

could not phase Randomstationnames description.plist, illegal character at line XXXX

I will then send some assassins to take care of it. As it is a legal character on Windows though I don't get an error report. So will need someone with the operating system installed to locate it.
So I quit. Ripped out all the oxp's other than yours and restarted. Same issues as before. Here is the latest.log file:

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.90 (x86-64) under Mac OS X Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D2064) at 2021-09-04 23:24:49 +0000.
Machine type: MacBookAir9,1, 8192 MiB memory, 2 (4 logical) x x86 (family 0x38435547) @ 1100 MHz.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

00:24:49.280 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
00:24:49.679 [joystick.error.init]: Cannot open HID manager; joystick support will not function.
00:24:49.680 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 INTEL-14.4.26"). Vendor: "Intel Inc.". Renderer: "Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics OpenGL Engine (1x6x8 (fused) LP".
00:24:49.680 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (128):
GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_EXT_debug_label, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_APPLE_specular_vector, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_APPLE_fence, GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_APPLE_object_purgeable, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_APPLE_rgb_422, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_APPLE_element_array, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_APPLE_texture_range, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_vertex_blend, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil, GL_APPLE_row_bytes, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_APPLE_client_storage, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_APPLE_flush_render, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators, GL_APPLE_transform_hint, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_debug_marker, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_APPLE_float_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_instanced
00:24:49.686 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
00:24:49.822 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
00:24:49.823 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths: 
    ~/Desktop/Oolite/  Oolite 1.90.app/Contents/Resources
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.oxp
00:24:49.842 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.oxp/Config/descriptions.plist as a property list.
Unexpected character { at line 1
00:24:49.844 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
00:24:49.852 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "cb68_sodalite_station-riredi-coluber_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentity cb68_sodalite_station-dock-riredi-coluber.
00:24:49.854 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "pagroove_superhub_station_mainhull_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentities pagroove_superhub_dock, pagroove_superhub_station_ring1, pagroove_superhub_station_ring2.
00:24:50.790 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.40 seconds. ==========
00:24:56.563 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
00:24:57.091 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 17 world scripts:
    Oolite Equipment Control 1.90
    Oolite Ship Library 1.90
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.90
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.90
    oolite-contracts-cargo 1.90
    oolite-contracts-helpers 1.90
    oolite-contracts-parcels 1.90
    oolite-contracts-passengers 1.90
    oolite-libPriorityAI 1.90
    oolite-nova 1.90
    oolite-populator 1.90
    oolite-primable-equipment-register 1.90
    oolite-registership 1.90
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.90
    oolite-trumbles 1.90
    oolite-tutorial 1.90
    RandomStationNames Beta Version 1 - 04.09.21
Nothing about the naming issues from what I can see. What should I do next?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The Descriptions file is definatley broken on your OS (but fine on mine). I'll just have to break mine by putting an illegal charcter in and than I can walk you through how to spot it.....

To get a report First can you install LogEvents from the Manager. This won't effect gameplay, but it will log exactly what Oolite is up to in the latest log file.

Run Oolite. For testing I've deliberatley put an illegal character in my descriptions file. - apostrophises shall be straight, they shalt not be curly. So just putting that one curvy apostrophise in my decriptions file has broken the whole thing. Oolite now will not read any of it. So the F4 Screen now starts "Interfaces for" rather than links for. As my descrtiptions file is now buggered it isn't now making any of the changes it should.

The reason you are seeing random_stations_generator_list is because this is the name of the key in descriptions that puts the word lists together to make names. Because descripions is broken the variable is undefined so oolite is displaying the name of the key rather than expanding the key like it should be. The key is defined in descriptions like this:-

"random_stations_generator_list" =
	(
	//"[planetFall_Surface_hoopy_name]",
	"[random_stations_generator_list_planetFall_examples]",

//"[random_stations_generator_list_default_examples]",
	);
Open the Latest Log and search for GalacticAlmanacBeta1 - Sorry I forgot I renamed it so told you to search for the wrong thing. It'll say:-

00:48:58.371 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse ../AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.oxp/Config/descriptions.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 371 (char 17573) - invalid utf8 data while parsing quoted string
If you open the descriptions file and go to that line. The blighter will be somewhere in that text string. If you post the line number I can find it. If you delete the text in and retype it, you'll then be entering the same words but with letters valid for your machine. Save and close the descuptions file and restart Oolite. As you made charges to the descriptions file you must hold down the SHIFT key whist you start Oolite. This makes Oolite read your changes. If you don't then it will read the old unfixed version.

If it now works, then there was only one illegal character in there. If it still doesn't work then I'm afraid that means there is more than one and its rinse and repeat to find the next one. It probabley will be just one (hopefully).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Yet another new Jameson. 2 oxp's - yours & Norby's Log events.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.90 (x86-64) under Mac OS X Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D2064) at 2021-09-05 00:37:35 +0000.
Machine type: MacBookAir9,1, 8192 MiB memory, 2 (4 logical) x x86 (family 0x38435547) @ 1100 MHz.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

01:37:35.184 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
01:37:35.515 [joystick.error.init]: Cannot open HID manager; joystick support will not function.
01:37:35.515 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 INTEL-14.4.26"). Vendor: "Intel Inc.". Renderer: "Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics OpenGL Engine (1x6x8 (fused) LP".
01:37:35.515 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (128):
GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_EXT_debug_label, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_APPLE_specular_vector, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_APPLE_fence, GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_APPLE_object_purgeable, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_APPLE_rgb_422, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_APPLE_element_array, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_APPLE_texture_range, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_vertex_blend, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil, GL_APPLE_row_bytes, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_APPLE_client_storage, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_APPLE_flush_render, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators, GL_APPLE_transform_hint, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_debug_marker, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_APPLE_float_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_instanced
01:37:35.520 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
01:37:35.537 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
01:37:35.538 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths:
~/Desktop/Oolite/ Oolite 1.90.app/Contents/Resources
~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/oolite.oxp.Norby.LogEvents.oxz
~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.oxp
01:37:35.548 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.oxp/Config/descriptions.plist as a property list.

01:37:35.550 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
01:37:35.557 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "cb68_sodalite_station-riredi-coluber_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentity cb68_sodalite_station-dock-riredi-coluber.
01:37:35.559 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "pagroove_superhub_station_mainhull_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentities pagroove_superhub_dock, pagroove_superhub_station_ring1, pagroove_superhub_station_ring2.
01:37:36.217 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 0.94 seconds. ==========
01:37:41.950 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
01:37:42.312 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 18 world scripts:
logevents 1.4
Oolite Ship Library 1.90
oolite-nova 1.90
oolite-populator 1.90
oolite-registership 1.90
oolite-trumbles 1.90
oolite-tutorial 1.90
RandomStationNames Beta Version 1 - 04.09.21
01:37:42.315 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_FUEL_SCOOPS
01:37:42.315 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_ESCAPE_POD
01:37:42.351 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
01:37:42.351 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to Nemus Lapillus (Star)

01:37:43.605 [LogEvents]: Populators:
{"oolite-thargoid-scouts":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-hunters-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-independent-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":3},
"oolite-pirate-independent-route2":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_PS","groupCount":1},
"oolite-pirate-independent-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-route1-asteroids":{"groupCount":1,"deterministic":1,"priority":20,"location":"LANE_WP","locationSeed":51728},
"oolite-police-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-interceptors-witchpoint":{"priority":40,"location":"WITCHPOINT","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-medium-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-couriers-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":2},
"oolite-interceptors-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-medium-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-light-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-freighters-docking":{"priority":40,"location":"STATION_AEGIS","groupCount":1},
"oolite-freighters":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":7},
"oolite-hunters-medium-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-couriers-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-route2-asteroids":{"groupCount":3,"deterministic":1,"priority":20,"location":"LANE_PS","locationSeed":82715},
"oolite-hunters-medium-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-smugglers":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-heavy-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-light-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":1},
"oolite-offlane-hermit":{"groupCount":1,"deterministic":1,"priority":99,"location":"PLANET_ORBIT_HIGH","locationSeed":71258},
"oolite-hunters-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":1},
"oolite-pirate-heavy-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-police-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-police-stationpatrol":{"location":"STATION_AEGIS","priority":40},
"oolite-hunters-heavy-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-hunters-heavy-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
"oolite-thargoid-strike":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-pirate-medium-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":1},
"oolite-pirate-heavy-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
"oolite-nav-buoy":{"deterministic":1,"coordinates":[-43461.71875,53368.9609375,430708.0625],"priority":5,"location":"COORDINATES"},
"oolite-assassins":{"priority":40,"location":"WITCHPOINT","groupCount":2},
"oolite-witch-buoy":{"deterministic":1,"priority":10,"location":"COORDINATES","coordinates":[0,0,0]},
"oolite-pirate-light-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":1}}
01:37:43.606 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
01:37:43.606 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to Nemus Lapillus (Star)
01:37:43.607 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_LOAD to GUI_SCREEN_STATUS
01:37:43.607 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_LOAD to GUI_SCREEN_STATUS
01:37:43.607 [LogEvents]: mission screen opportunity
01:37:43.902 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_STATUS to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION

01:37:44.066 [LogEvents]: Coriolis Station 12651 spawned at 0 km
01:37:44.066 [LogEvents]: Cobra Mark III 21658 spawned at 8 km
01:37:44.066 [LogEvents]: Navigation Buoy 7280 spawned at 10 km
01:37:44.066 [LogEvents]: GalCop Viper 26966 spawned at 29 km
01:37:44.066 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 8685 spawned at 228 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 10820 spawned at 236 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 25986 spawned at 241 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 19695 spawned at 347 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 25392 spawned at 352 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 27977 spawned at 356 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 31524 spawned at 370 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 19381 spawned at 508 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Rock Hermit 25034 spawned at 523 km
01:37:44.067 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 9202 spawned at 531 km
01:37:45.802 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:37:45.806 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:37:45.808 [LogEvents]: mission screen ended
01:37:45.808 [LogEvents]: mission screen opportunity

01:37:51.876 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
01:37:51.889 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
01:37:59.722 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:37:59.726 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:37:59.775 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
01:38:01.522 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:01.526 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:01.526 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
01:38:03.451 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:03.455 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:03.456 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
01:38:04.051 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:04.056 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:04.056 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
01:38:07.901 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:07.905 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
01:38:07.906 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
01:38:07.928 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION

I have come to understand that Unexpected character { at line 1 can mean pretty much anything, and might imply that the mighty, marvellous & magnificent macintoshian machine is having a fit of the heeby-jeebies on coming face-to-face with a simpering semi-colon.

NB: Tried the OXP Verifier and got nowhere.
Comments wanted:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Edit. [Problem I think is invisable windows characters being inserted at line 1. The .plist is a Mac format so when run on a Mac it has to be exactly right for the Mac to read it. The windows versions of Oolite doesn't care if Windows has added invisable characters and so runs with no errors reported. But on the Mac the same .plist crashes at line 1. Its a pain to debug as I can't see the characters and they don't cause a problem on windows the latest log doesnt log them as errors]

V1.1 should fix this.
Last edited by LittleBear on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Could you try this V1.1? If the descriptions file now works on the Mac, I'll update the link to this one:-

https://app.box.com/s/kegivsfnoaxleg543eyouz6xde6o2g53
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

LittleBear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:53 pm
Could you try this V1.1? If the descriptions file now works on the Mac, I'll update the link to this one:-
In case it is working, please let me know how, SIRF is still not Apple friendly and I honestly got no idea what the problem is. Reconverting the entire shipdata.plist like phkb I do not consider as a permanent solution.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I've only added names rather than changing the stations themselves, so it won't fix an issue with an existing station.

V1.1 should work as I used the mission.text file (which I know the Mac is reading), deleted its text and put the descriptions text in a copy of it. That should mean whatever hidden Window's stuff at the { } brackets at the begining and end of the file should now be removed.

Could someone with a Mac give the V1.1 a quick test?

To check the Descriptions file is being read on the Mac with V1.1, pull up the F4 screen when docked.

Does the first line start with "Links for" or "Interfaces for" ? If it says Links for then its working.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:16 pm
I've only added names rather than changing the stations themselves, so it won't fix an issue with an existing station.

V1.1 should work as I used the mission.text file (which I know the Mac is reading), deleted its text and put the descriptions text in a copy of it. That should mean whatever hidden Window's stuff at the { } brackets at the begining and end of the file should now be removed.

Could someone with a Mac give the V1.1 a quick test?

To check the Descriptions file is being read on the Mac with V1.1, pull up the F4 screen when docked.

Does the first line start with "Links for" or "Interfaces for" ? If it says Links for then its working.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.90 (x86-64) under Mac OS X Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D2064) at 2021-09-05 22:40:36 +0000.

23:40:38.391 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
23:40:38.725 [joystick.error.init]: Cannot open HID manager; joystick support will not function.
23:40:38.726 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 INTEL-14.4.26"). Vendor: "Intel Inc.". Renderer: "Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics OpenGL Engine (1x6x8 (fused) LP".
23:40:38.726 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (128):
23:40:38.733 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
23:40:38.749 [dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
23:40:38.754 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths: 
    ~/Desktop/Oolite/Oolite 1.90.app/Contents/Resources
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/oolite.oxp.Norby.LogEvents.oxz
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.1.oxp
23:40:38.768 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/GalacticAlmanacBeta1.1.oxp/Config/descriptions.plist as a property list.
23:40:38.770 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
23:40:38.780 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "cb68_sodalite_station-riredi-coluber_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentity cb68_sodalite_station-dock-riredi-coluber.
23:40:38.782 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "pagroove_superhub_station_mainhull_no_beacon_version" has unresolved subentities pagroove_superhub_dock, pagroove_superhub_station_ring1, pagroove_superhub_station_ring2.
23:40:39.450 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 0.96 seconds. ==========
23:40:43.054 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
23:40:43.594 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 18 world scripts:
    logevents 1.4
    Oolite Ship Library 1.90
    oolite-nova 1.90
    oolite-populator 1.90
    oolite-registership 1.90
    oolite-trumbles 1.90
    oolite-tutorial 1.90
    RandomStationNames Beta Version 1.1 - 05.09.21
23:40:43.598 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_FUEL_SCOOPS
23:40:43.598 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_ESCAPE_POD
23:40:43.630 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
23:40:43.630 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to Nemus Lapillus (Star)
23:40:44.614 [LogEvents]: Populators:
 {"oolite-thargoid-scouts":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-hunters-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-independent-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":2},
  "oolite-pirate-independent-route2":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_PS","groupCount":1},
  "oolite-pirate-independent-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":1},
  "oolite-route1-asteroids":{"groupCount":1,"deterministic":1,"priority":20,"location":"LANE_WP","locationSeed":51728},
  "oolite-police-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-interceptors-witchpoint":{"priority":40,"location":"WITCHPOINT","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-medium-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-couriers-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":2},
  "oolite-interceptors-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-medium-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-light-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-freighters-docking":{"priority":40,"location":"STATION_AEGIS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-freighters":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":5},
  "oolite-hunters-medium-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-couriers-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-route2-asteroids":{"groupCount":3,"deterministic":1,"priority":20,"location":"LANE_PS","locationSeed":82715},
  "oolite-hunters-medium-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-smugglers":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":1},
  "oolite-pirate-heavy-remote":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-light-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":1},
  "oolite-offlane-hermit":{"groupCount":1,"deterministic":1,"priority":99,"location":"PLANET_ORBIT_HIGH","locationSeed":71258},
  "oolite-hunters-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-heavy-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-police-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-police-stationpatrol":{"location":"STATION_AEGIS","priority":40},
  "oolite-hunters-heavy-route3":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-hunters-heavy-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-thargoid-strike":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-medium-route1":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WP","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-pirate-heavy-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":0},
  "oolite-nav-buoy":{"deterministic":1,"coordinates":[-43461.71875,53368.9609375,430708.0625],"priority":5,"location":"COORDINATES"},
  "oolite-assassins":{"priority":40,"location":"WITCHPOINT","groupCount":2},
  "oolite-witch-buoy":{"deterministic":1,"priority":10,"location":"COORDINATES","coordinates":[0,0,0]},
  "oolite-pirate-light-triangle":{"priority":40,"location":"LANE_WPS","groupCount":1}}
23:40:44.614 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
23:40:44.615 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to Nemus Lapillus (Star)
23:40:44.615 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_LOAD to GUI_SCREEN_STATUS
23:40:44.615 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_LOAD to GUI_SCREEN_STATUS
23:40:44.615 [LogEvents]: mission screen opportunity
23:40:44.650 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_STATUS to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
23:40:44.833 [LogEvents]: Coriolis Station 12651 spawned at 0 km
23:40:44.833 [LogEvents]: Navigation Buoy 7280 spawned at 10 km
23:40:44.833 [LogEvents]: GalCop Viper 25983 spawned at 22 km
23:40:44.833 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 8685 spawned at 228 km
23:40:44.833 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 10820 spawned at 236 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 25986 spawned at 241 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 19695 spawned at 347 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 25392 spawned at 352 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 27977 spawned at 356 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 31524 spawned at 370 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 19381 spawned at 508 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Rock Hermit 25034 spawned at 523 km
23:40:44.834 [LogEvents]: Asteroid 9202 spawned at 531 km
23:40:48.620 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
23:40:48.624 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
23:40:48.627 [LogEvents]: mission screen ended
23:40:48.627 [LogEvents]: mission screen opportunity
23:40:56.608 [LogEvents]: system information changed in galaxy 0 system 7 key sun_name to undefined
23:40:56.621 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES to GUI_SCREEN_MISSION
23:41:30.341 [LogEvents]: gui screen will change from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
23:41:30.342 [LogEvents]: gui screen changed from GUI_SCREEN_MISSION to GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES
23:41:30.343 [LogEvents]: mission screen ended
23:41:30.343 [LogEvents]: mission screen opportunity
23:43:31.445 [LogEvents]: Orbital Shuttle 13067 spawned at 1 km
Comments wanted:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Grr. Still Broken. All of the OXZs files are being read correctly on the Mac except descriptions.plist.

Oolite is very picky both on windows or mac about a single illegal charcter or a single missed , " or a non-standard chracter. If there is a single one missing in the decriptionss file in all 21,008 lines of it both windows and the mac will refuse to read the entire thing. Since it runs on windows I know there are no errors in the code itself.

Line 1 where the Mac is reporting an error is shown on Windows as:-

{
// The Galactic Almanac - Beta 1.1 - Descriptions File.
// By Commander Little Bear.
// Version Beta 1.1 Release Date 05/09/21.: 

// ********************************************************************************************
] 
On Windows there is nothing at Line one except that pesky square bracket, so there isn't anything visable to me when I look at it and Oolite reports no errors. I'm a bit stumpted as to why my text editor has managed to save all the other files in the OXZ in a Mac Friendly format but not descriptions. I suspect there is some hidden characters there which means although the ,plist is valid there is some hidden text at the start which is ignored by windows but breaks the file format at line 1 on the Mac. Bit of a work around, but if someone with a mac sets up a blank .plist on the Mac, types in the opening and closing brackets, then C & Ps the text from descriptions in and saves it on a Mac, that (should ?) ensure it is in Mac Friendly format. Could someone give that a try? If it works, could you box link the amended descriptions file and I'll put iit in V1.2?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:21 pm
Grr. Still Broken. All of the OXZs files are being read correctly on the Mac except descriptions.plist.

Oolite is very picky both on windows or mac about a single illegal charcter or a single missed , " or a non-standard chracter. If there is a single one missing in the decriptionss file in all 21,008 lines of it both windows and the mac will refuse to read the entire thing. Since it runs on windows I know there are no errors in the code itself.

Line 1 where the Mac is reporting an error is shown on Windows as:-

{
// The Galactic Almanac - Beta 1.1 - Descriptions File.
// By Commander Little Bear.
// Version Beta 1.1 Release Date 05/09/21.: 

// ********************************************************************************************
] 
On Windows there is nothing at Line one except that pesky square bracket, so there isn't anything visable to me when I look at it and Oolite reports no errors. I'm a bit stumpted as to why my text editor has managed to save all the other files in the OXZ in a Mac Friendly format but not descriptions. I suspect there is some hidden characters there which means although the ,plist is valid there is some hidden text at the start which is ignored by windows but breaks the file format at line 1 on the Mac. Bit of a work around, but if someone with a mac sets up a blank .plist on the Mac, types in the opening and closing brackets, then C & Ps the text from descriptions in and saves it on a Mac, that (should ?) ensure it is in Mac Friendly format. Could someone give that a try? If it works, could you box link the amended descriptions file and I'll put iit in V1.2?
I'm happy to give it a stab if you can give me idiot-proof instructions! What sort of brackets?
Comments wanted:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I was curious so downloaded this. Things seem to run fine on my Windows machine. I opened up the descriptions.plist and downloaded a VSCode extension to try and get syntax highlighting to see if there's anything obvious there. Might be a red herring, but within

// Change the entry in the key below to set the Word Tables used by the Random Generator.
// HERE!

"random_stations_generator_list" =
	(
	"[random_stations_generator_list_planetFall_examples]",

//"[random_stations_generator_list_default_examples]",
	);
and
/"[random_stations_generator_list_default_examples]",
don't look to me like they're actually commented out! Perhaps try deleting those lines and see if that works?

(Screenshot of the highlighted syntax to see what I mean - I think the red // may be being read as unexpected characters?: https://app.box.com/s/wq2iwxu0trakk92htl861ogl9g3ou9b0)