Empty system

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

thecoredump
Above Average
Above Average

Empty system

Post by thecoredump »

Hello all
Long time lurker, I want to create a mod in order to change the galaxy a bit like Elite Dangerous: where not every systems are colonized and have station.
I have tried to set an empty station in planetinfo.plist but the engine fall back to built-in Coriolis station.
I have tried to remove the station after exiting witchspace but the engine respawn it automatically.
I have seen in previous thread that the engine could generate stationless system ("Could not create built-in Coriolis station! Generating a stationless system."), but how to to it on purpose ?
Thanks
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Empty system

Post by another_commander »

You can do this inside a worldscript:

Code: Select all

this.shipExitedWitchspace = function()
{
	system.mainStation.remove();
}
A rock hermit somewhere inside the system assumes the role of main station in this case. You can remove that too and then the system is empty.
thecoredump
Above Average
Above Average

Post by thecoredump »

A rock hermit somewhere inside the system assumes the role of main station in this case
Thanks, I didn't think about it. That's why I still had station in the system.
A small while and everything is fine :
while (system.mainStation) { system.mainStation.remove(); }
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

thecoredump wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:16 pm

A rock hermit somewhere inside the system assumes the role of main station in this case
Thanks, I didn't think about it. That's why I still had station in the system.
A small while and everything is fine :
while (system.mainStation) { system.mainStation.remove(); }
Greetings on your joining the glorious gathering!

Have you had a look at Cim's SOTL? His first (exploration) map has no inhabited systems at all, the second (AltMap) has a majority of uninhabited.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

thecoredump wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:59 am
Hello all
Long time lurker, I want to create a mod in order to change the galaxy a bit like Elite Dangerous: where not every systems are colonized and have station.
I have tried to set an empty station in planetinfo.plist but the engine fall back to built-in Coriolis station.
I have tried to remove the station after exiting witchspace but the engine respawn it automatically.
I have seen in previous thread that the engine could generate stationless system ("Could not create built-in Coriolis station! Generating a stationless system."), but how to to it on purpose ?
Thanks
Did you come up with a publishable oxp?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
thecoredump
Above Average
Above Average

Post by thecoredump »

I managed to build myself something but it's quite special:
- I researched all systems of galaxy 1 in Elite Dangerous,
- I "deleted" stations from all uninhabited systems in ED
- I renamed all unknown systems in ED to make them uninhabited systems
- I added a script that returns the name of the main planet of a known system in ED
- This same script also returns the name of the main station of these systems as known in ED
All of this, incorporated into my Cobra MkIII cockpit OXP makes me feel like I'm a little more into ED, but it leaves 80% of the galaxy uninhabited.
I had, therefore, to add a special fuel system to allow me to cross vast uninhabited spaces.

You should know that my main objective is to limit my energy consumption with big games requiring a big PC.
But let's be honest, ED is still installed on my laptop (I sold my gaming PC) which manages to run it without too much trouble despite everything.

So this is all more of a personal project than a publishable OXP (especially since I use a lot of material straight from ED, so not really allowed to publish :D )

I also started working on a small script, a Discovery Scanner, which, once equipped and used, adds waypoints to existing location.
I would have to add at this time also "unknowed signal source" with events like ED does: pirates, wrecks, containers, etc.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

thecoredump wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:53 pm
I managed to build myself something but it's quite special:
- I researched all systems of galaxy 1 in Elite Dangerous,
- I "deleted" stations from all uninhabited systems in ED
- I renamed all unknown systems in ED to make them uninhabited systems
- I added a script that returns the name of the main planet of a known system in ED
- This same script also returns the name of the main station of these systems as known in ED
All of this, incorporated into my Cobra MkIII cockpit OXP makes me feel like I'm a little more into ED, but it leaves 80% of the galaxy uninhabited.
I had, therefore, to add a special fuel system to allow me to cross vast uninhabited spaces.

You should know that my main objective is to limit my energy consumption with big games requiring a big PC.
But let's be honest, ED is still installed on my laptop (I sold my gaming PC) which manages to run it without too much trouble despite everything.

So this is all more of a personal project than a publishable OXP (especially since I use a lot of material straight from ED, so not really allowed to publish :D )

I also started working on a small script, a Discovery Scanner, which, once equipped and used, adds waypoints to existing location.
I would have to add at this time also "unknowed signal source" with events like ED does: pirates, wrecks, containers, etc.
If you try out Stranger's World, you can scoop fuel at quite some distance from the star. You need to keep an eye on the star colour in the F6 screen - easier to gather solar flux with orange/red stars. And the Deep Horizon Advanced Navigation Computer allows you to save 10% fuel on your jumps - and you can also add in fuel tanks to give an emergency backup.

I know nothing about E:D, but have you tried Pods and Cargo Wrecks teaser?
Comments wanted: