Paddling Pool OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Paddling Pool OXZ

Post by Redspear »

The title is essentially a nod to Disembodied's idea of a safe area for starting players with this being my simple implementation of such.
Should D object, I'll happily change it.

What it Does:

Turns the Leesti - Diso milk run into a much safer route for the beginning player.

Leesti and/or Diso are within jump range of the following planets:
  • Riedquat - Anarchy
  • Uszaa - Anarchy
  • Reorte - Dictatorship
  • Orerve - Feudal
  • Oresque - Multi Government
That's some dangerous neighbours when it comes to visiting traffic. Note that I haven't included Lave in this as I didn't want the pool to extend to the more lucrative Zaonce/Tionisle to Isinor or even Isinor to Ensoreus trade routes. Lave forms a simple barrier to disuade (rather than prevent) the path to Tionisle with its higher tech level (Leesti is just high enough to acquire fuel injectors).

Furthermore, being so close together, Leesti - Diso can make good use of fuel injectors (once purchased) in a way that Isinor to Ensoreus for example would struggle.

This oxp neuters the piracy influence of the dangerous systems listed above by altering their government types (and occasionally their economies to prevent further lucrative safe routes emerging).

Rationale:

It's not uncommon for the player to be attacked by large groups of pirates even in the early game (when the player ship is especially vulnerable).
Having a safe space to learn the ropes, within a single jump of Lave, is what this oxp attempts to provide.
The similarly nearby but potentially more lucrative routes of Zaonce/Tionisle - Isinor and Isinor - Ensoreous should be largely unaffected.

For the future:

It may be a little too easy now and so some fine tuning may be needed in future.

No threat is not necessarily an improvement over too much threat but for an early release it makes sense to err on that side of the equation.

The usual applies:
  • Feedback welcomed
  • If you don't like it, don't install it - your game, your business

OXZ available from the manager shortly.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Paddling Pool OXZ

Post by Redspear »

Looks like there'll be a wait as the wiki isn't keen on my uploading the file for some reason.

I'll try again later.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Thanks to maik's hard work with the wiki, this is now available from the in-game manager.

Having done a little more testing in the last few day I can confirm that pirates still show up, just not very often.
hellraiserpt
Poor
Poor

Post by hellraiserpt »

Hi Redspear,

It looks like you left some ^M characters inside the OXZ description, which is breaking the parsing of the file Oolite-download.plist when we try to update the expansion list.
This behavior is occurring in both Windows and Linux. Guess there's also some linebreaks that don't work ok.

18:46:55.532 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
18:46:55.915 [script.javascript.init]: JavaScript reset successful.
18:46:55.992 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.10 seconds. ==========
18:51:19.648 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse ~/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 13608 (char 523241) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
18:51:19.649 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded manifest was not a valid plist, has been left in ~/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hellraiserpt wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:12 pm
Hi
Hello! Welcome to our mighty BB! They say it's the friendliest this side of Riedquat - but you can judge for yourself.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

hellraiserpt wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:12 pm
Hi Redspear,

It looks like you left some ^M characters inside the OXZ description, which is breaking the parsing of the file Oolite-download.plist when we try to update the expansion list.
Hi hellraiserpt,

Oops :oops:
I think I've spotted the offending characters and will update shortly.

Thanks and welcome! :D
hellraiserpt
Poor
Poor

Post by hellraiserpt »

Thank you all, and thank you Redspear, for such a quick fix.
Cheers
hellraiserpt
Poor
Poor

Post by hellraiserpt »

Sorry once again, but there seems to be a problem...
When I choose to install this OXZ, I'm getting this:

16:13:48.340 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not contain a manifest.plist, has been left in ~/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.oxz

This Oolite-download.oxz file contains:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body>
<h1>File not found</h1>
<p>Although this PHP script (/img_auth.php) exists, the file requested for output
(mwstore://local-backend/local-public/7/74/Oolite.oxp.redspear.paddling_pool.oxz) does not.</p>
</body></html>
hellraiserpt
Poor
Poor

Post by hellraiserpt »

Indeed, it now works.
Thanks
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:37 pm
Thank God :lol:

Sorry for the delay.
All hail Giles the Creator!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?