[RELEASE] GETTER HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

[RELEASE] GETTER HUD

Post by Reval »

GETTER HUD version 1.1

A compact Trader's and Explorer's HUD based on the standard HUD, with digital speed, re-coloured scanner, compass, gauges, MFD and legends. Cargo hold contents are shown in place of missile loadout.

Version 1.1 is a minor cosmetic update: text-size for the digital clock has been reduced somewhat, to prevent a lengthy cargo listing or ASC target string ovewriting the top of it.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] GETTER HUD

Post by Reval »

GETTER HUD version 1.2

A compact Trader's and Explorer's HUD based on the standard HUD, with digital speed, re-coloured scanner, compass, gauges, MFD and legends. Cargo hold contents are shown in place of missile loadout.

Version 1.2 is a cosmetic update: Fore and aft shield bars along with cabin and laser temperature bars have been recoloured a twilight-blue to better harmonize with the fundamental scheme (teal and orange). They turn yellow, then red, when depleted.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

An Important Note on Future Packaging

I shall no longer be posting updates via the Oolite Expansions Manager. Instead, all future downloads will be in plain OXP 'wrappers', obtainable via relevant pages on the Oolite Wiki.

Regrettably, I have experienced the OXZ format and update process as excessively finicky, long-winded, and error-prone. In short, it is not an enjoyable nor indeed efficient method of expansion-pack distribution, in my opinion.

The OXZ packages of all my offerings will be removed on a timetable yet to be decided. Meanwhile, the existing OXZs will remain available via the in-game expansions list, but no more updating of these will occur.

So, please keep your eyes on both the Bulletin Board and Wiki pages for zipped OXP updates of Elite Trader, Goods Containers, FE Ships, and GETter HUD, which henceforward will be more frequent and include Preview versions as soon as code is judged stable enough for release.

Installation of a plain OXP is simplicity itself: Just unzip to Oolite-->AddOns.

Trade Well!
D.R. of X.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Without (hopefully) instigating a massive thread derail, I think OXZ is a player's format rather than an oxp developer's one.

It's great at
  • highlighting dependencies
  • keeping on top of upgrades
  • finding the damn thing in the first place
It's not so great at
  • uploading rigmarole (another file and another website involved)
  • access for tinkering with (to be fair this isn't terrible but then neither is it obvious)
  • updating new versions (delete/unzip the oxz you downloaded to test, then tweak and rezip but don't rename!)
I can respect your decision but I don't think OXZ is all bad.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 pm
Without (hopefully) instigating a massive thread derail, I think OXZ is a player's format rather than an oxp developer's one.

It's great at
  • highlighting dependencies
  • keeping on top of upgrades
  • finding the damn thing in the first place
It's not so great at
  • uploading rigmarole (another file and another website involved)
  • access for tinkering with (to be fair this isn't terrible but then neither is it obvious)
  • updating new versions (delete/unzip the oxz you downloaded to test, then tweak and rezip but don't rename!)
I can respect your decision but I don't think OXZ is all bad.
I agree. You've hit the nail on the head. I find the Expansions Manager list works much better for me than the OXP lists on the wiki - or the almost useless threads here on the BB. I'm still finding lost OXP's from years ago hidden away here on the BB, tucked away there in the BB... (7 in the last month, alone!).

But as for putting stuff up, the Expansions Manager is a major pain, the OXPList is a pain and only the Guide to Unlisted OXP's is relatively easy. But in terms of a player finding stuff, the order is very much reversed...
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thread derailment? Here? Perish the thought!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cody wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:11 pm
Thread derailment? Here? Perish the thought!
I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it...
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

I may decide to compromise, on a limited scale, but possibly only with Elite Trader whose Wiki page links copiously to all the other packages in any case, and which I assume - we can only assume, right? - is the most downloaded of my offerings. And then only with a release I can put a full-stop after (or at least a semi-colon). 1.19 may have reached that point...
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

[RELEASE] GETter HUD 1.3

FE Shipyards

FE Shipyards is pleased to bring you, our valued customer, the only HUD in the inventory made by Guilders for Guilders.

Our goals in designing the GETter HUD were quite simply to be quiet in tone, minimalist, unobtrusive, yet functional. It is a HUD eminently suited to peaceful trading rather than belligerence or deep space slaughter.

GETter HUD's most notable feature is the display of your vessel's hold contents, along with a digital velocity readout.

We expect our customer-base for this product to be running with weapons offline. Should you toggle weapons on, a large red "W" will illuminate at top left of the scanner, primarily as a reminder to toggle them off again.

Changes in version 1.3

Shipowner, ship class, ship name, and ship tonnage are displayed in a deep blue line above the scanner. Hold contents now include goods quantity - also in deep blue.

The 'Mini-HUD' is now identical to the standard GETter HUD. That is to say - there isn't one.

Picture: GETter HUD 1.3.

GETter HUD is available through Oolite's in-game Expansions Manager, as part of the Elite Trader Meta Package, or HERE.

Trade well!

D.R. of X.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

[RELEASE] GETter HUD 1.4

FE Shipyards

FE Shipyards is pleased to bring you, our valued customer, the only HUD in the inventory made by Guilders for Guilders.

Our goals in designing the GETter HUD were quite simply to be quiet in tone, minimalist, unobtrusive, yet functional. It is a HUD eminently suited to peaceful trading rather than belligerence or deep space slaughter.

GETter HUD's most notable feature is the display of your vessel's hold contents, along with a digital velocity readout.

We expect our customer-base for this product to be running with weapons offline. Should you toggle weapons on, a large red "W" will illuminate at top left of the scanner, primarily as a reminder to toggle them off again.

Changes in version 1.4
  • Since the LT (laser temperature) bar is always black - if you're a merchanter - we thought it would be nice to fill that useless space with the name of the current system.
  • Both the comms log area's and the comms message area's height and width have been increased, making for fewer broken lines and more scroll-space for (trade advisory) lists at the witchpoint.
  • We've always felt that the automatic fading in and fading out of the comms log whenever a new message arrived was irritating to say the least. That 'feature' is now switched off: if you need to read the log, hit the 'log' key and hold it.
Picture: GETter HUD version 1.4, showing the much expanded comms message area (here, a Merchanter's Zeal witchpoint sell-advisory). Notice also the name of the current system occupying the LT bar.

GETter HUD is available through Oolite's in-game Expansions Manager, as part of the Elite Trader Meta Package, or HERE.

Trade well!

D.R. of X.