[WIP] Risky Business OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

[WIP] Risky Business OXP

Post by phkb »

Risky Business is a small OXP that aims to make Multi-Gov, Feudal and Anarchy systems more rewarding for traders, by tweaking prices on a few goods. Goods that are already over the average could be increased. Goods that are below the average could be reduced. Not all goods will be impacted at all locations.

This is an experimental OXP, so I'm not adding it to the manager yet, until I've got a take on whether the changes are good/bad/indifferent.

Because I'm using the same methodology to change prices as cim's Risk-Based Economy OXP, I've flagged this OXP as being incompatible with it. I could potentially merge functionality into one OXP if both OXP's are seen as being valuable.

Anyway, feedback always welcome.

Download the OXZ here: RiskyBusiness.oxz (v0.1)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [WIP] Risky Business OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

Thank you for working on the economics!

What are you doing differently from cim? Is it just a case of updating for the new version of Oolite? Or is there something more sophisticated going on?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

cim's work, according to the description, "adjusts prices according to trade volume - so safer systems have more 'centred' prices, and hub systems have more 'centred' prices." It looks at how safe/dangerous a system is, based on the type of local systems surround it, and moves prices accordingly. In my experience the effect has been fairly subtle, but I haven't focused on a trade-only player role for a while, so other players might have better analysis of the impact.

Risky Business is a little more "blunt", shall we say. It doesn't look at the local systems so much as just assuming a dangerous system (ie. Anarchy, Feudal, Multi-Gov) will have some high-demand commodities. It will randomly pick a couple of commodities that are already above or below average and basically make them more so. So you might occasionally find computers for sale at well over the galactic average, or furs for well under. It should be a lot more obvious when a change has been applied.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Thank you, sir!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am
Thank you, sir!
Thinking about this one.

It does have an effect. Good, excellent, in fact. I'm uninterested in quibbling over the size of the effect (not being an economics, industrialist or agronomist, but merely a proud feudalist).

I think that it would be a super idea (in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture, when Lave is in opposition to Tianve but in conjunction with Digebiti) to amalgamate it with Cim's OXP. It would also be super if it was compatible with SW Economy which strives for realism in another area of economics. Since you authored it, I take it for granted that it is compatible with Smugglers which strives for realism in a third area of economics.

It is really wonderful to have so much material with which to improve the Elite 8-bit economics! Thank you!
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:19 pm
I think that it would be a super idea (in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture, when Lave is in opposition to Tianve but in conjunction with Digebiti) to amalgamate it with Cim's OXP.
A new version is now available via the link above, which combines the logic from Risk-Based Economy and Risky Business. But, it also includes options available via Library Config, to turn either system on or off, so you can pick and choose what you want. If you change a setting, it will require a jump into a new system in order to have the changes take effect, though.

I haven't looked at SW Economy yet, so no idea on any impact/compatibility issues running them all together would create.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:18 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:19 pm
I think that it would be a super idea (in the fullness of time, at the appropriate juncture, when Lave is in opposition to Tianve but in conjunction with Digebiti) to amalgamate it with Cim's OXP.
A new version is now available via the link above, which combines the logic from Risk-Based Economy and Risky Business. But, it also includes options available via Library Config, to turn either system on or off, so you can pick and choose what you want. If you change a setting, it will require a jump into a new system in order to have the changes take effect, though.

I haven't looked at SW Economy yet, so no idea on any impact/compatibility issues running them all together would create.
Nabbed it. Thank you!

Your OXP seems to work just fine with SW Economy so far. I'll see if adding Cim's into the mix alters things!
Comments wanted: