Cargo Scoop as Standard OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Cargo Scoop as Standard OXZ

Post by Redspear »

That's right, cargo scoop, not fuel scoops. You'd still need fuel scoops to scoop fuel.

Launching from the station on your maiden flight you can be a trader, smuggler or bounty hunter but that's about it. Piracy and mining are out because you can't reliably profit from either.

Well, maybe with this installed you can.

Piracy:

Once you've opened the belly of your victim, you need to collect the booty. Not without a scoop you can't.

Mining:

Although hardly reliable, I believe it's still possible for a pulse laser to occasionally splinter an asteroid rather than just destroy it.
So if you get lucky: scoop it! At least when you're not you get a tiny bounty for the asteroid.

General Use:

Apart from finding salvage (lucky you!) then should you accidentally jettison your cargo (there are a lot of keys to learn after all and you could be thinking shift-d to dock...) then you have a chance to get it back. If it's even 1 pod of computers then that would otherwise be a heavy loss for a beginner...
As for when you finally get enough credits to buy your first piece of kit, at least now there's a chance that it won't be the first thing to be damaged as it might be the cargo scoop that takes the hit instead.

Of course, how wise it might be to attempt piracy or mining in a stock ship is questionable at best but at least now you can try! :D
Good luck :wink:

To do:

May need a tweak to fuel scoops, perhaps making cargo scoops a requirement.
With the current situation re: equipment-overrides.plist however, I'll leave that for now.

Available from the download manager shortly.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cargo Scoop as Standard OXZ

Post by Redspear »

Apologies folks.

There's some apparently manifest related issue that's resulting in download failures regarding updating the oxz list. According to a log report, this oxz is the problem.

I've set the oxz to draft state which returns things to normal but also prevents downloading this oxz.

It should be simple (expecting ';' character at a particular line) but I don't see why at the moment.
Are there any forbidden characters in the decription category of an oxz?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:43 pm
That's right, cargo scoop, not fuel scoops. You'd still need fuel scoops to scoop fuel.

Launching from the station on your maiden flight you can be a trader, smuggler or bounty hunter but that's about it. Piracy and mining are out because you can't reliably profit from either.

Well, maybe with this installed you can.

Piracy:

Once you've opened the belly of your victim, you need to collect the booty. Not without a scoop you can't.

Mining:

Although hardly reliable, I believe it's still possible for a pulse laser to occasionally splinter an asteroid rather than just destroy it.
So if you get lucky: scoop it! At least when you're not you get a tiny bounty for the asteroid.

General Use:

Apart from finding salvage (lucky you!) then should you accidentally jettison your cargo (there are a lot of keys to learn after all and you could be thinking shift-d to dock...) then you have a chance to get it back. If it's even 1 pod of computers then that would otherwise be a heavy loss for a beginner...
As for when you finally get enough credits to buy your first piece of kit, at least now there's a chance that it won't be the first thing to be damaged as it might be the cargo scoop that takes the hit instead.

Of course, how wise it might be to attempt piracy or mining in a stock ship is questionable at best but at least now you can try! :D
Good luck :wink:

To do:

May need a tweak to fuel scoops, perhaps making cargo scoops a requirement.
With the current situation re: equipment-overrides.plist however, I'll leave that for now.

Available from the download manager shortly.
Putting together the wiki page. Interesting comments of yours - I'd never thought about the impact on careers right from the outset! But I suppose that one gets used to doing other things (like going to university) to prepare for careers, so having to slog away to earn the dosh for the scoops does not seem like such a big thing.

Does one upgrade these to Fuel Scoops, or does one have to buy the fuel scoops? I'd like to get the terminology right on the page!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:52 am
Does one upgrade these to Fuel Scoops, or does one have to buy the fuel scoops? I'd like to get the terminology right on the page!
That would be buy.

Technically (from memory) both 'cargo scoops' and 'fuel scoops' enable the ability to scoop cargo which could lead to the peculiar situation of one being able to successfully scoop cargo despite damaged cargo scoops.

There are at least three potential fixes to this but as I recall, I have yet to implement any of them.