Traffic Control OXP: small bug

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Traffic Control OXP: small bug

Post by UK_Eliter »

I've this in my log:

Code: Select all

16:24:13.741 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (TrafficControl 1.1): TypeError: system.mainStation is null
I think the problem is that in interstellar space there is no main station, though one can be docked in various carriers.

The OXP is Thargoid's, but perhaps someone else is maintaining it these days. (I myself am maintaining one of Thargoid's OXPs - Hired Guns - and it throws some errors in the log too, I must admit . .)
Last edited by UK_Eliter on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Traffic Control OXP: small bug

Post by Milo »

I've released a new version of Traffic Control:
08/07/2020 - Version 2.00, updated by Milo; set minimum Oolite version to 1.88; fixed errors if navigation buoy is destroyed; corrected planet approach guidance (follow green circle, not square, if ship has a basic compass); added additional hints for new players (until they buy docking computers); set up recurring reminders to "clear the lane" when not supposed to be there; integrated docking advice with docking clearance protocol for main stations that require clearance; added warning messages to fugitive players entering station aegis or requesting docking clearance; added responses to being detected using cloaking devices in the station aegis (this OXP now declares it illegal to cloak within main station aegis and introduces a small bounty for the first offence, which will be increased for non-fugitive players each time they are detected still cloaked after the initial offence; however, entering the aegis cloaked and never interacting with the station will not impose a penalty as the traffic controllers are unaware of the trespass); added a 1000 credit fine (or equivalent bounty) to the arrival report when docking at main stations while cloaked (even if fast-docking is used); added considerations for nova systems (traffic control will leave a recording when sun has gone nova) and for Buoy Repair, ILS and AutoDock OXPs
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Traffic_Control_OXP

Not available through the OXZ manager yet - if someone can help me update the manifest on aegidian.org, I would appreciated it:

Code: Select all

{
"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Thargoid.TrafficControl";
"required_oolite_version" = "1.88";
"title" = "Traffic Control";
"version" = "2.00";
"author" = "Thargoid, Milo";
"category" = "Mechanics";
"description" = "Adds traffic control personnel to each system main station. Introduces the friendly voice of the main station traffic controller, who welcomes ships approaching the planet, guides them into the correct docking maneuvers and even says goodbye when they leave. Just don't linger in the station approach lane after you leave and get in the way, or else they won't be best pleased...

Recommended for new players learning how to dock manually, and for experienced players who want a bit of extra ambience around main stations. It is fully integrated with the docking clearance protocols introduced in Oolite 1.72 (if the stations enable them). Most messages from this OXP will appear only if your ship does not have functional docking computers, but a few will appear regardless, for example: Clear the lane, Commander! If you see a message that starts with 'Traffic Control:' then it is probably from this OXP.

In terms of balance, this OXP is neutral for beginners and slightly biased against the experienced player, because it enforces (with fines and small but escalating bounties) a sensible rule against the use of cloaking devices in proximity to main stations... however, to be fair, it will not impose any penalties if you pass undetected (or at least unidentified). Of course, requesting docking clearance or activating docking computers will transmit your identity to the station...

This OXP is compatible with all other OXPs, and includes considerations for Buoy Repair, ILS and AutoDock if those OXPs are also installed.";
"information_url" = "http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Traffic_Control_OXP";
"license" = "Creative Commons Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike 3.0 license with clauses - see readme file";
"tags" = ( "mechanics" );
"download_url" = "http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/a/a0/Oolite.oxp.Thargoid.TrafficControl.2.0.0.oxz";
"upload_date" = "1594263044";
"file_size" = "14588";
}
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Hello Milo!

What problem are you having with the OXZ manager?
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Hi UK_Eliter. My problems with the OXZ Manager are two-fold:

1. I don't have an account on oolite.org to log into the system.
2. Access to existing manifests from other authors requires an admin to grant permission.

I wrote a lengthy suggestion post on this topic earlier, which received no comment.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Right. As your suggestion post notes, under http://www.oolite.org/admin/ each person - and that includes me - can access only their own expansion packs. So I cannot do it. Did you PM one of the 'admirals', asking to be given the requisite credentials? I cannot remember whom exactly you should ask - and sorry for not checking properly whether you have asked anybody - but try (perhaps in this order) another_commander and aegidian. Oh and also - if he's still around (for it's his pack originally) - the Old Green One, namely, thargoid.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I only sent a PM to cim (who is not around); I believe another_commander does not have access, thargoid also is not around, and I'd rather not risk giving aegidian any reason to follow through on his ominous announcement.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Ah yes, I saw that announcement.

But people being unable to administer their OXPs will only hasten the decline of the community.

I'll pm you with a bit more.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

If you find a way around the "removing old manifest from oolite.org" problem please let me know, there's a bunch of OXPs I would like to update with bug fixes
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Milo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:27 am
... his ominous announcement.
If the forum should suffer a SMEF, or it gets taken down, the Oolite Embassy at SSC might be a handy contact point.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I think I know which system that outpost is in.
Ladibe (240,71), {11,50,69,119,163} within 7.0 LY. Radius 4336 km.
Anarchy, Poor Agri. Pop. 0.8 B, Prod. 768 MCr. HC: 5, TL: 1, Human Colonials.
Ladibe is mildly notable for its inhabitants' unusual silliness.
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by commander_STyx2909 »

Eventually, some day...

Each time I have this message: "Traffic Control: For station approach, please follow the green solid circle on your compass.", I am already in the vincinity of the station, and thus, this is not a "green solid circle" I must target. :wink:
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

commander_STyx2909 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:35 pm
Eventually, some day...

Each time I have this message: "Traffic Control: For station approach, please follow the green solid circle on your compass.", I am already in the vincinity of the station, and thus, this is not a "green solid circle" I must target. :wink:
Changes between Oolite 1.88 and Oolite 1.90:
...snip...
* Basic compass now changes shape when switching from planet to
station and vice versa.
...snip...

I may need to update the message accordingly...

In unrelated news, I've published a version update: Traffic Control 2.01 addresses a bug that prevented it from recognizing the docking clearance "granted" status. This may improve things when used with ILS. Please share any positive or negative experiences...

Now updated to 2.02, but forgot about the compass message...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

The small bug which ArquebusX refers to in his game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkxThpljjg - 4:08) is with this Traffic Control OXP:

The message (system.name + " Traffic Control: Please fly to the station-facing side of the buoy and wait for clearance.", 3) is broadcast endlessly despite being on the station-facing side of the buoy.

Reading the small print in the javascript, the message blares out unless one is within 1km of the buoy. Is this reasonable with the massive YAH advertising buoys? And might it be better to replace the message with something slightly more accurate (Please fly to within 1km of the buoy... )?

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?