Star System Lane Indicator OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wesfire
Poor
Poor

Star System Lane Indicator OXP

Post by wesfire »

Star System Lane Indicator
----------------------------------

Version: 0.52
Category: Equipment
Available at TL: 8 and above
Requires: Advanced Compass
Required Oolite Version: 1.86
Author: Wesfire
License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0
Download: Extension manager in the game.

----------------------------------
Hello,
Star System Lane Indicator is an enchantment to the Advanced Compass which indicates what Lane your ship is in and/or quides you to the nearest point of a Lane. A Lane is a line which connects 2 points in the system.

Conventions - Examples of Lanes in oxp:
- Whichspace beacon and Main planet center ,known as "Lane-1".
- Whichspace beacon and Star center ,known as "Lane-2".
- Star center and Main planet center ,known as "Lane-3".
-"Lane-A" connects Coriolis Station and WhichspaceBeacon projection. "Lane-A" is parallel to "Lane-1".
-"Lane-B" is parallel to "Lane-1" and "Lane-A". "Lane-B" is 45 degrees clockwise turn relative to "Lane-A".....
-"Lane-H" is parallel to "Lane-1" and "Lane-A". "Lane-H" is 315 degrees clockwise turn and 45 degrees counterclockwise relative to "Lane-A".....

Shift+N primes the equipment, then B key chooses mode of the equipment and then N activates the function mode.

This oxp also adds NPCs using this equipment to navigate to "Lane-A" to avoid encounters on their way to Coriolis Station.

--EDIT--
Here are some short videos to showcase SSLI usage:
https://youtu.be/py0J1PJID2U
https://youtu.be/f32y1A_TyWk
https://youtu.be/H5LP43YI040
https://youtu.be/a5dt2kzLAGA
--EDIT-END--

Any feedback about this oxp is wellkomed.

Wesfire.
wesfire
Poor
Poor

Re: Star System Lane Indicator OXP

Post by wesfire »

Version: 0.8
Requires: Advanced Space Compass
Download: Extension manager in the game or wiki page (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Star_S ... icator_MFD).

This release is a downgrade in a way. Added an MFD for user GUI

and removed:
-the old space compass GUI
-the NPC which was buggy
-the LaneB up to LaneH, kept (Lane1,Lane2,Lane3 and LaneA, as described in the previous post).

Any feedback about this oxp is welcomed.

Wesfire.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

wesfire wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:33 am

Version: 0.8
Requires: Advanced Space Compass
Download: Extension manager in the game or wiki page (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Star_S ... icator_MFD).

This release is a downgrade in a way. Added an MFD for user GUI

and removed:
-the old space compass GUI
-the NPC which was buggy
-the LaneB up to LaneH, kept (Lane1,Lane2,Lane3 and LaneA, as described in the previous post).

Any feedback about this oxp is welcomed.

Wesfire.
Apologies - I'd never even realised that this thread existed! I downloaded your .oxp some months ago. Finally started using it in August and while it looked very pretty, could not figure out what to do with it!

Mind you, to be honest, I had a similar experience with the Manual Witchspace Alignment by phkb which also displays in the ASC when you have bought one.

I'll give it another stab and then give you some (hopefully constructive!) feedback. I really enjoy this sort of add-on to my game - thank you for pandering to my predilictions!

NB: looking through your old posts I see that you are into atmospheric HUDs. Have you tried out the Vimana yet?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
wesfire
Poor
Poor

Post by wesfire »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Apologies - I'd never even realised that this thread existed! I downloaded your .oxp some months ago. Finally started using it in August and while it looked very pretty, could not figure out what to do with it!

Mind you, to be honest, I had a similar experience with the Manual Witchspace Alignment by phkb which also displays in the ASC when you have bought one.

I'll give it another stab and then give you some (hopefully constructive!) feedback. I really enjoy this sort of add-on to my game - thank you for pandering to my predilictions!

NB: looking through your old posts I see that you are into atmospheric HUDs. Have you tried out the Vimana yet?
Hello Cholmondely,

Thank you for your post.
The old ASC GUI was a bit confusing and the fact that i haven't documented properly made it worst, so i made an MFD GUI which is more informative.
I checked out Vimana HUD in the wiki (looks very nice, with a lot new stuff) and i'll give it a try.....

Wesfire
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

wesfire wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:19 pm
Hello Cholmondely,

Thank you for your post.
The old ASC GUI was a bit confusing and the fact that i haven't documented properly made it worst, so i made an MFD GUI which is more informative.
I checked out Vimana HUD in the wiki (looks very nice, with a lot new stuff) and i'll give it a try.....

Wesfire
Any chance of a copy of your old version? It got overwritten when I updated, and despite the fact that it was useless, I loved the graphic effects on the MFD - I found that it really added to my immersion (in a similar vein, have you seen the revolving mass lock borders in cag's Telescope v.2? A lovely effect!).

What did you think of the Vimana?

And I dug up a whole bunch of HUDs from cold storage - with download links - 7 of which you'll find included here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/HUD_images_here

HUDs with extra goodies:
Deeper Space HUD comes with Current Location Display and Current Risk notifier.
Xenon HUD's has extra laser sights & glare contrast
Dangerous HUD's has noises (GsAgostinho is a professional composer), choice of cockpits
I've not yet worked out the Z-GrOovY MiLHUD which seems delightfully complex

And I've tried to list all of Killer Wolf's HUD's which need updating (from c.2012 - so no HUDSelector compatibility, just letters on the ASC (no names), no MFD's...)
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wesfire,

I'm afraid that I'm still fascinated by your original oxz! And now that I know a bit more about the game, I'm very impressed by what you tried to do in the original oxp. And sad that you ended up ripping it out of v.0.8

The basic "graph" for v.0.52 is this.

But then I saw this:

What is the significance of the missing dooberry at the top of this one?

wesfire wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:19 pm
i haven't documented properly made it worse
Comments wanted: