Escape Pod Slave Fix

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Escape Pod Slave Fix

Post by phkb »

I've put together a solution to the issue where escape pods are created without a bounty or insurance value, resulting in them remaining behind as "slaves" after you dock at a station. The solution will only apply to escape pods launched from a ship, not escape pods generated by a script, which should prevent this from interfering with most mission-based or special case escape pods, but I can't guarantee that, so I'd appreciate any testing that can be performed by anyone. I've included debug messages in the log file so you can see when the script is in action.

As I said, this will only kick in when the escape pod occupant has no bounty or insurance value set. In most cases the occupant will have those values, so this OXP will do nothing. The instances of there being no values should be rare, but hopefully this will pick them up and correct them. As a test, I started an Oolite session and just let the simulation run. After 3.5 hours, there had been 2 instances of needing to add insurance to an escape pod occupant (one to a standard Python, one to a gsagostinho Cobra Mark IV).

Download v1.0 EscapePodSlaveFix.zip (unzip the ".oxp" folder to your AddOns folder)

If this proves to be effective and non-conflicting, I'll add it as a download manager item.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Escape Pod Slave Fix

Post by Cody »

Damn slaves, stealing their owners' escape pods, and escaping!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

<chuckles>
NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NorthenderPNE »

Hi phkb

I know this is a few months old but i was going through your addon list adding any i don't have, yeah i'm a phkb addon addict. Is this still relevant as in has it been fixed in later Oolite versions? If not i'll add it to my list. :wink:
phkb

Post by phkb »

There hasn’t been any fix to core code for this issue. I had a quick look but couldn’t spot an obvious problem. It’s on my todo list to add it to the manager though.
phkb

Post by phkb »

phkb wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 pm
It’s on my todo list to add it to the manager though.
The OXP, I mean, not core code. Core doesn't need to be added to the manager. And adding it to the manager would likely cause the Internet to fold in on itself the first time someone tried to download something, initiating an infinite recursion loop, and people wouldn't be able to view any more cute cat videos. Which would be sad. So, it's just the OXP. This time.
NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NorthenderPNE »

phkb wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:15 am
phkb wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 pm
It’s on my todo list to add it to the manager though.
The OXP, I mean, not core code. Core doesn't need to be added to the manager. And adding it to the manager would likely cause the Internet to fold in on itself the first time someone tried to download something, initiating an infinite recursion loop, and people wouldn't be able to view any more cute cat videos. Which would be sad. So, it's just the OXP. This time.
An incursion loop is so dangerous that time and space could fold in on itself, i might leave it then. :D