(WIP) Home System

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

(WIP) Home System

Post by phkb »

Welcome home, Commander!

The Home System OXP adds some flavour text to a variety of messages received by the player in systems designated as their home. You'll be greeted by the main station when you request docking clearance, passing police ships might say Hi, that sort of thing.

As well, there are some other benefits achievable the more players visit their home system. So, the more you visit your home system, the better the benefits become. See this [EliteWiki] wiki page for details.

For the moment, you can download this OXZ here: HomeSystem.oxz.
Now available in the download manager.

Thanks to UK_Eliter for his code analysis and adding his ideas into the mix to make the pack better.
Thanks to Diziet Sma for getting the team together.
With special thanks to Cody for the original idea. You rock, El Viejo!

Comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome. I'll add this to the manager next week should everything look stable.
Last edited by phkb on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (WIP) Home System

Post by BlackWolf »

Interesting. Was wondering if there was anything like this for the game.
Downloaded and will give it a run.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

phkb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:30 am
Comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome. I'll add this to the manager next week should everything look stable.
Slight oddness. Paid the first 15k, got an email of welcome. Paid the next 10k, got a weird email confirming that "the following items were removed, as per your request: - Invest in Home System You were charged 10000.0". Tried again, got an identical email.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Re emails - yep, confirmed bug. Thanks for reporting!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 0.9 is now available for download via the link in the first post. This should fix the email issue.

I'm still thinking about the other ideas. Will comment soon. Keep the ideas coming, though!
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

I'm really liking this oxz. It's perfect for when your in an area for a long spell building up cash and exploring the system. Nice touch. :wink:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
To me, the above sounds very much like the basis for its own dedicated OXP.
I agree with this. A worthwhile idea, but it needs its own thread, rather than muddying the waters of the Home System discussion. Moderators, could I ask that this scam email discussion be split into it's own thread in the Suggestions section? Thanks!
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

Getting back to the 'invest in home' ideas...

In the present-day, certain countries let you acquire citizenship there (including double-, triple-, or more- multiple-country citizenships) very easily, as long as you invest some number of hundreds-of-thousands of dollars there. Maybe an overly-wealthy pilot could start collecting citizenships across a variety of planets, or equivalent titles depending on the local political system? Eg, dump some number of credits in a Corporatocracy (possibly varying by Tech Level), and get a 'citizen of X' line in your pilot profile; give away some stupidly large amount in a Feudal system and you could become a 'princess'; have your own personal gangclan in Anarchies give you something suitably clannish; and so on.

There wouldn't even have to be an in-game effect - just having a set of shiny texts in your pilot's profile could be enough incentive for some pilots. ("Gotta immigrate to 'em all!") But if there's some effect - maybe nudge the existing version's 'clear offending status' from the current tiers to citizenship-level investment, maybe something else - that could work, too. Maybe citizenship is hard enough to revoke that firing on police means you don't lose your other investment bennies, though you do gain the standard penalties for committing the crime.

Optionally, maybe start each game with a message to the pilot that there's been a glitch in the files, and ask them to "forward the paperwork", letting them choose whether to confirm they have one starting citizenship in Lave, citizenship in (pick their system), or none at all.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!

Version 0.10 is now available (see link in the first post). In this version:
  • Benefit levels are now adjusted based on a systems government, economy and tech level. So, it's easier to reach higher levels of benefits in low tech, low economy systems, and harder in high-tech, high economy systems.
  • Investment purchase notification emails for systems other than the current system will now arrive later, rather than instantly.
Also, if you're also using the GalCop Missions OXP, a new version of that OXP is also available which fixes a link to Home System.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Been using this mod. Got my home systems set with two rich industrial and a poor Agra in between. And enjoying the hellos and goodbyes. Make the game a bit more personal.
A very good oxz.
Cody

Post by Cody »

My home system is a Feudal MI out on the rim of the Seventh.
A revolting little planet, they call it, but Ceerti suits me fine.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Recently started using Home System oxp and so far I'm enjoying it - just the little things really being acknowledged when returning home (currently a TL10 Anarchy system in galaxy 2).
The reason for me doing this is so that hopefully I will get some rebate when paying for ship overhauls (something I have to do at Salvage Gang locations owing to smuggling hold).
I am also hoping that I maybe able to earn some rebate when I buy a customs phase scanner ( I really did not realise just how expensive they are).
But a thought that nags at me is that home system perks may only be applicable to official galcop location purchases rendering no benefit from purchases made at pirate coves, rock hermits, FTZ's,
Can anyone tell me if Home System perks apply to all purchases made in a system? (one could argue that all purchases whether done through official channels or not would boost the system economy, although the likelihood of official administration rewarding underworld transactions is not likely at all) or is it just purchases made via Galcop?
On a side note I noticed looking through oolite wiki that a download for S.I.R.F (System Independent Repair Facility) exists. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/S.I.R.F.
Would anyone know whether SIRFS operate independently of Galcop or are they viewed just a slightly more economical version of Galcop repair services?
That said I noticed that the SIRF oxp places them in close proximity to Galcop stations - so may not be a viable option if not squeaky clean.
My thanks for any guidance and advice which is gratefully received.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
Can anyone tell me if Home System perks apply to all purchases made in a system?
At present, most privileges only apply when accessed at GalCop stations.
Damocles Edge wrote:
one could argue that all purchases whether done through official channels or not would boost the system economy, although the likelihood of official administration rewarding underworld transactions is not likely at all
You could also argue that the number of transactions performed at non-GalCop stations is so low that it has no discernible impact on the economy.

What is possibly worth considering is doing a variation on Home System that only applies to non-GalCop stations. A separate purchase (eg "Home System Fringe Privileges"), with maybe not as many benefits, maybe not quite as good (ie instead of a 5% rebate on equipment purchases, only giving 2.5%), maybe harder to reach. Thoughts?
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Instead of another home system pack you could go with a notoriety pack that gives little perks the more you visit the fringe stations.
Kind of like being able to get smokes on credit at the corner store you always visit.