Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Post by phkb »

I thought it was time to update an old classic - the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard. Oolite has come a long way since the original was released (credit to Selezen, Rxke and Arexack_Heretic who put the original together), and given it's place in Oolite/Elite history, it was worth bringing it up to date with the latest look-and-feel. Also, the 3rd item down on a YouTube search for "game oolite" is for the Graveyard (recorded by Ben Moss-Woodward 3 years ago), so it seemed like a refresh was needed.

At the moment, I have all three main components working: the main OXP, the Monuments OXP, and the Shipwrecks OXP. I've updated the Dodec station model, updated the Krait patrol ship with a Griff version, and I've created "rusty" versions of almost all of the core ships for the shipwrecks pack. I've also added a new feature, the ability to query each of the monuments or gravestones for information about who the memorial is for. You'll need Broadcast Comms MFD to do this, though, and it's a purely optional thing.

As for the original, this pack will add a lot of objects to the Tionisla system. If you're running on older or minimal hardware your system may struggle to perform adequately.

One thing I haven't been able to do, though, is to update the "Lancet Interceptor" ship model to bring it in line with the Griff models. All I've done is repurpose a Griff/gsagostinho Fer-del-Lance to do the same job. Given my ship modelling skills stop well short of even getting a box to look OK, I'm putting the call out for someone, somewhere to take up the challenge of creating a Lancet with a Griffified look to it. For the moment I've included the place-holder Fer-de-Lance, but it would be nice for this OXP to include it's own, unique ship model.

I've created a new thread, rather than resurrect the old one, to clearly distiguish between the two versions, and so that new players don't have to read through 31 pages of posts. But if you want to brush up on the history of the pack, here's a link to the original thread: Tionisla Orbital Graveyard.

Download links for new packs:
TionislaOrbitalGraveyard.oxz (this is the main pack and required by the others)
TionislaOrbitalGraveyard_Monuments.oxz (adds some extra monument types)
TionislaOrbitalGraveyard_Shipwrecks.oxz (adds "rusty" versions of most of the core ships as monuments).

Packs now available via the download manager. [EliteWiki] Wiki page updated.

Let me know what you think, and if you find any issues.

Some screenshots:
Approach:
Moving through the monuments:
Closeup of some rusty Kraits:
Last edited by phkb on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Re: Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

:thumbsup: good job!
Riding the Rocket!
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

@phkb do you have some screenshots of how this is looking? I would love to see it, in particular the rusty ships :)
phkb

Post by phkb »

As requested. See first post.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

It's looking really good, the rusty ships are a very nice touch! :D
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

How did they get rusty? Were they sitting in a planet's atmosphere for years oxidizing, then finally shipped into space?
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Solar winds. It's not actually rust, but the chemical effects of solar winds on the ships' paint. This paint supports a wide range of temperatures but is prone to decomposition if exposed to charged particles. Shields normally prevent that.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Keeper wrote:
How did they get rusty?
Astrobe wrote:
Solar winds.
That works for me!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

As I said on the original TOGY thread about two mins ago, well done on the new version. Looks good.

Did anyone put a new Lancet model together?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Selezen wrote:
Did anyone put a new Lancet model together?
Not yet, but we appear to have a dearth of ship modellers active at the moment.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I like the idea of reviving this oxp (/these OXPs). Sadly, I am no ship modeller, as one can see from my Fer-de-Lance 3G ships (and, if you think that actually those look alright - well, I had quite a bit of help with them . .).
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 2.4 now available. Updated texture for Dodo station with adjusted colours and gloss property added. Updated other ship models with new gloss property. Added some additional special monument names.
Also available is version 1.1 of the shipwrecks pack, which adds gloss properties to rusty ships.
Download via the managed.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Nice. I like the idea of the glossy wrecks, in particular. I'll have to see whether my Interstellar Tweaks OXP - which as some wrecks in it - uses that or can use that.

EDIT: Yep. I can use your shipdata - if I may - to allow some of my interstellar hulks to use your paintjobs.
phkb

Post by phkb »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I can use your shipdata - if I may - to allow some of my interstellar hulks to use your paintjobs.
Help yourself! :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to say, I spent half an hour last night exploring your cemetery - and enjoying every minute of it. Thank you!

People used to do this 200 years ago looking for romantic inspiration (back in the days when people were interested in experiencing the 'sublime'). There were concurrently issues with bodysnatchers robbing freshly dug graves to use the bodies for training surgeons in the medical schools. An entire industry developed to try and stop this (mortsafes etc).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?