[RELEASE] DeeperSpace HUD v1.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

[RELEASE] DeeperSpace HUD v1.1

Post by pleiadian »

Pleiadian Laboratories presents: DeeperSpace HUD v1.1

DeeperSpace is the logical evolution of the original DeepSpace HUD, with some enhancements and refinements. Having been some weeks in testing, it has been deemed stable enough for public consumption.

In version 1.1, the HUD has now added a Current Location display, immediately telling you about some of the key aspects of the solar system you're in, as well as navigation info such as the nearest object, and most importantly, the Current Risk notifier. The risk tells you how dangerous the current situation around you is, at this moment. Information is updated, as it happens.

Additionally, if you have the Advanced Navigational Array installed, you will get immediate info on your current set destination, what the next system on your route is (depending on the mode you set), and how much this next jump will take.

To round it off, the crosshairs have been slightly optimized.

As a little gimmick, the speed meter will either show your current speed, or indicate whether or not you are in Torus Drive. If Torus is enabled, you will get to see the actual Torus Speed below the speed meter.

Here's a live screenshot of version 1.1:

Get version 1.1 from here:
http://www.marcus-s.de/oolite/download/ ... ce_1.1.oxz

-----------------------------

ORIGINAL RELEASE BULLETIN:

To provide you with its final look and functionality, please take a look at the attached in-cockpit photo, taken by Commander Pleiadian himself during final test flight before release.

Image.

Please note that the HUD of the cockpit will adjust itself depending on the current situation - this means that the content is dynamic.

In Yellow Alert, Mass-Lock:

The Status Display informs you about you being in a Mass-Lock radius.

In Red Alert:

The Status Display switches to show the amount of energy currently in the Fore and Aft shields, and provides you with corresponding icons.

In Green Alert:

Now the Status Display switches again and shows the current set Hyperspace/Witchspace destination.

Here you can see the screenshot of above again with its MFDs, without the markers.

Download
Get DeeperSpace v1.01 from here:
http://www.marcus-s.de/oolite/download/ ... e_1.01.oxz

Enjoy!
Last edited by pleiadian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [WIP] Pleiadian's dynamic HUD (no final name yet)

Post by tsoj »

I find your design idea nice, if you could design the scanner like it is in the deepspace hud (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Deepspace_Ships) it would be nicer (imao), i like when it seems like this scanner in elite dangerous.

EDIT: and by the way this isnt oolite on this picture, or did i miss some crazy oxp?
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

This is just the design in GIMP as of yet. I want to have that ready before I create the OXP. I will do some testing and then post some in-game shots.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

I don't know if it's the same for others, but probably my #1 criteria for HUDs is how big the scanner is.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Yeah, I do like a bigger scanner.
Perhaps the non-linear scanner can make this a little less of a game issue now :?:

The top dials might be nice for the shields (fore then aft).
Just a thought.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [WIP] DeeperSpace HUD

Post by pleiadian »

So I decided on a name and final design: DeeperSpace. I was so disappointed, that I couldn't get the original version, I decided to rebuild DeepSpace from the images on the Wiki.

As soon as the OXP releases, I will also provide the Blender model I used to re-create the HUD - including the textures.

And this is the result so far:

And just for comparison, here is the original:

I'll keep you posted.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Thats really nice, pleiadian, i had a frustrating time trying to find the deepspace HUD so im seeing foward to your release
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Quick update:

Implementing different alert conditions.

pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I'm beginning with the OXP creation. Obviously I'm starting with the basics, but it's pretty much what I thought it's gonna be.

Here's the alpha version in the vanilla code of the game, just launched from Lave. I didn't actually configure any dials and their positions yet, it's just to get a feeling for the looks. The lamp on the top change according to the current alert situation.

The "display" on the top not only has the alert lights, but will adapt to the current situation and show different things.

So in Yellow Alert, which is mostly Mass-Locked, the display will show the appropriate icon and then text center-aligned in the display. Exact string is to be determined but it probably goes along the tune of "Attention: Mass-Lock or Station Approach".

If the sea is calm and we are at Green Alert, then the display will show your plotted destination system - if there is any. Fitting for that is a location pin.

And most importantly, in Red Alert, so in combat, it will display the fore and aft gauges, with fitting icons.

Will keep you posted.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Very clean look, I like the way this seems to be headed!
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

News on the HUD... I have begun implementing it into an OXP, and this is the current result. The scanner also changes colors depending on the situation. The screens on the left will be a built-in MFD (the big one), equipped items on the smaller screen on the left, and Station Aegis on the small green.

On the right you can find the Compass (to be implemented), gauges for speed, weapon temperature, cabin pressure and energy. The smaller green on the right has the fuel and altitude gauges. The gauges don't work as of yet.

tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

your cat is cute.
and i will definitely try out this hud.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

I've found the original (well unless I've modified it, I don't remember) DeepSpaceHUD OXP in an old folder. No licensing or even a copyright statement. What can I "legally" do with it?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

When is this release ready? It looks very nice. :D Probably gonna use your hud when it is released.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Astrobe wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:59 pm
I've found the original (well unless I've modified it, I don't remember) DeepSpaceHUD OXP in an old folder. No licensing or even a copyright statement. What can I "legally" do with it?
Basically, you're limited to your own personal use only. It can't be distributed publicly, even in modified form.

The only way it can be "re-released", is by doing what pleiadian is doing. Essentially, drawing up a 'specs list' of what it does, and how it looks, purely from observation and study, then re-creating it from scratch. No borrowed code, no borrowed images.

Congratulations on a fine job of 'reverse engineering', pleiadian! I'd like to see your approach applied to a lot of old OXPs that never had licences attached. It's the only "legal" way of preventing them from fading into oblivion.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied