Repair Bots OXLP (Thargoid)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Repair Bots OXLP (Thargoid)

Post by RockDoctor »

I'm using version 2.10 and found the Repair_Bots very useful trolling around in Galaxy 1. Then, in a firefight, I think I hit the "G" spot and flipped to Galaxy 2. With damaged repair bots.
I am still hunting around for a high-tech system that can repair them - I've been up to L14, maybe even L15 - but I haven't found a system in Galaxy 2 that can repair them.
The Wiki page http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Repair_Bots_OXP doesn't say at what tech level (and/ or other criteria) are needed to get repaired. Which is certainly something I'd have checked in the sales brochure before shelling out LoadsaCR.
Any suggestions? Do I need to move on to Galaxy 3?
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Repair Bots OXLP (Thargoid)

Post by Norby »

[wiki]Equipment.plist[/wiki] contain the techlevel in the first line, you can repair in all systems above and _not_ equal with this number. So Self-Repair System should be fixed from TL11 planets, Recharge is available from TL9 together with the independently usable pylon-mounted Nanobots (launch it as a missile/mine). I do not know the reason of your problem but nothing which is better in G3.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Norby wrote:
[wiki]Equipment.plist[/wiki] contain the techlevel in the first line, you can repair in all systems above and _not_ equal with this number. So Self-Repair System should be fixed from TL11 planets, Recharge is available from TL9 together with the independently usable pylon-mounted Nanobots (launch it as a missile/mine). I do not know the reason of your problem but nothing which is better in G3.
That would be the equipment.plist buried in the oxz file once I'd extracted it? For that I see 3 tech levels, for the "MINE" version, for the "Controller", and for the "Recharge". They're showing levels 8, 10 and 8 respectively, which is fine. One wonders why it isn't showing then?
Ah! The controller is listed as "incompatible_with_equipment" = "EQ_DCN";

So now I need to find out what a DCN is .... Or possibly, the controller is broken. I shall investigate on my next foray into the Ooniverse.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In theory, if the self-repair system is damaged, it should start repairing itself (and stop repairing anything else it may be working on). You should get a notification that it's entering self-repair mode when that happens.

It sounds like you may have hit a set of circumstances that is stopping that happening, depending on what else might have been damaged as well. Or perhaps the galactic jump has confused it.

I'm not sure who is currently overseeing that OXZ (I've retired from coding, as I don't have time any more), so it may be fixable or maybe not. But the simplest way may be to back-up and then edit your save game to restore it. I'm sure someone can assist with guiding you through that if that's the way you want to go.

Oh, and DCN (damage control node) is the self-repair functionality built into the Caduceus range of ships. It's essentially the same script as the repair system, and is marked as incompatible so you don't have two things doing the same job and probably confusing one another.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Thargoid wrote:
In theory, if the self-repair system is damaged, it should start repairing itself (and stop repairing anything else it may be working on).
That may have been what was happening. Shortly after I got served with the "Constrictor at Xeer" message, and was on my way there ... the repair system came back online.

Which suggests that the code change which would be advisable is actually to change the F5 status message to something like "Repair system --- working on [system name]"
--
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Thargoid wrote:
I'm not sure who is currently overseeing that OXZ
That would be me.

I have noticed that sometimes the bots get stuck.
This seems to happen most often when bots are repairing something, and new items get damaged.
(docking while a repair is active can have the same effect).
The state of the repair queue and/or timers seems to be wrong then.

In a test version (not fit for release yet) i have simplified the flow and this has reduced the amount of stucks , but not solved it completely .

A workaround is to "reset" the oxp by saving your game, quit to F2 menu and reload.
Upon leaving dock the repairs should start fresh.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Well, good to see that it's being worked on. Unfortunately, the laptop with the fancy graphics card has gone back to it's owners now, so I won't be able to do any testing.
--
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

I wondered to myself, "What are the repair bots working on at the moment? - I missed that on-screen message."
If the repair bots write anything into the logs (commander's log, communications log), I can't see it.
A message in the log of the form "Repair Bots start working on BLAH Syatem ; X other systems queued for repair ; Y repair charges in storage." would cover most bases.
I'm wondering what the sequence of repairs is? {tries to look thorough scripts}.
--
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Concerning the repair sequencing ...
var repairTime = 120 + Math.ceil(Math.random() * 180);
So, repairs will take 2 to 5 hours of mission time?
{ player.consoleMessage("Repair system online and in standby mode", 6); }
That's a message going to the F5 console? But the message that appears to the side of the HUD in flight is from somewhere else?
var damagedEquipment = Math.floor(Math.random() * this.playerDamagedList.length); // pick a random element from the list...
So, items repaired in random order. Depending on the technical level of the equipment, the probability of a successful repair varies between 1 and 0.
--
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Why? Minutes from start launch from station for self-repair system.
Oolite JavaScript Reference: Timer:
new Timer(this : Object, function : Function, delay : Number [, interval : Number]) : Timer

Creates a new timer which will call function after delay seconds, and optionally repeatedly every interval seconds.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

RockDoctor wrote:
As Rustem says, the scale is in seconds, so from 120 to 300 seconds, or 2 to 5 minutes.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

phkb wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 pm
RockDoctor wrote:
As Rustem says, the scale is in seconds, so from 120 to 300 seconds, or 2 to 5 minutes.
Doh! Should have expected it to be in seconds.
--