[Release] Spicy Hermits

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Spicy Hermits

Post by spara »

Following the recent discussion about the hermits, I have created an oxp to spice the hermits up a bit. Well, at least I have started an oxp to do that... We'll see where this goes, but here's something to test, if someones interested.

* TL of pirate hermits is upped to 7 so that they offer a maintenance overhaul.
* No mining activity around pirate hermits.
* Pirate hermits have a group of pirates patrolling around.
* Pirates around the hermit attack hunters and traders.

Version 0.1 https://app.box.com/s/qi6ijalenwo7p8uccmqqyz8v8vf1qjfp
Last edited by spara on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Spicy Hermits

Post by Fritz »

Downloaded. Now the problem will be to find one...
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

I'll like everything that adds flavour to hermits :-p
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I never really cared about how rock hermits work and how they can be found. Is there at least one in every system? Will it be at the same location for every player/commander? What happens if one gets destroyed? Are there "hidden" hermits that aren't located along the main routes W-P and P-S? The last question can be answered with yes, but I have seen those only very near to a main station - obviously you wouldn't find them if they are farther away. And finally, is there any difference in the location assignment procedure for the three "flavours"?
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fritz wrote:
Is there at least one in every system?
Yes!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Cody wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Yes!
There are systems without any, albeit they are kinda rare. I have some data output in the log counting stations or hermits so it's not so that I just didn't find them. The maximum I have seen (in my log) is 3 hermits in a single system (+ a pirate cove).
I found hidden hermits that were not on any of the space lanes witchpoint-planet or planet-sun twice, but only with bounding box debug, so cheating. I suspect that they were not added by the core game but instead by deep space pirates OXP which can sometimes add a hermit.
A good strategy to find hermits is moving very near to the planet on the planet-sun space lane and then looking towards the sun or near to it. Asteroid tweaks OXP will make hermits stand out as ball-shaped while most other asteroids have irregular shape, Iceteroids OXP will make asteroid fields easier to see.
In my games I always have 2 productive hermits in Laenin near the sun which I usually visit on my favourite trade route Leanin-Xexedi (G1).
EDIT
As for topic, I don't know where/how fugitive players get maintenance overhaul or (high tech) equipment, but I never would want an overhaul in a system with less than tech 12 or so. So If you are giving them a useful shipyard at all then make it tech 14 I'd say.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Cody

Post by Cody »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Cody wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Yes!
There are systems without any, albeit they are kinda rare.
You're the expert! <shrugs>
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I have "Sensible Sun" installed, so the white background isn't too big. I found it a good way to find hermits a little farther away from the lane if I go from sun to planet - the lighting is optimal in this case.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Anonymissimus wrote:
There are systems without any, albeit they are kinda rare.
If there are systems with no hermits, then it's a bug, at least according to this note in the "oolite-populator.js" file (line 192)

Code: Select all

/* To ensure there's at least one hermit, for smugglers to dock at */
The code then goes on to add up the number of hermits in system, and if zero then it creates one.

It also could be an OXP issue (conflict, bug, etc).
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

phkb wrote:
If there are systems with no hermits, then it's a bug, at least according to this note in the "oolite-populator.js" file (line 192)

/* To ensure there's at least one hermit, for smugglers to dock at */
The code then goes on to add up the number of hermits in system, and if zero then it creates one.
Perhaps that core code counts a pirate cove also as a hermit. In that case, I could have destroyed it, and then the hermits were counted, so I could have seen zero...
EDIT
Ahhh yes. Pirate cove has two ways of adding itself (weird arrangement). One of them uses the role stuff of the system populator, the other adds it via scripting if there's non present already. So sometimes it can happen that I meet the single hermit of a system, which is a also a pirate cove, added by the core code, i destroy it and then there's zero. This is at least one way it may have happened.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Cody wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Yes!
There are systems without any, albeit they are kinda rare. I have some data output in the log counting stations or hermits so it's not so that I just didn't find them. The maximum I have seen (in my log) is 3 hermits in a single system (+ a pirate cove).
I found hidden hermits that were not on any of the space lanes witchpoint-planet or planet-sun twice, but only with bounding box debug, so cheating. I suspect that they were not added by the core game but instead by deep space pirates OXP which can sometimes add a hermit.
A good strategy to find hermits is moving very near to the planet on the planet-sun space lane and then looking towards the sun or near to it. Asteroid tweaks OXP will make hermits stand out as ball-shaped while most other asteroids have irregular shape, Iceteroids OXP will make asteroid fields easier to see.
In my games I always have 2 productive hermits in Laenin near the sun which I usually visit on my favourite trade route Leanin-Xexedi (G1).
EDIT
As for topic, I don't know where/how fugitive players get maintenance overhaul or (high tech) equipment, but I never would want an overhaul in a system with less than tech 12 or so. So If you are giving them a useful shipyard at all then make it tech 14 I'd say.
This implies either
a: a lot of high-tech equipment and parts shipped in to the hermit to service a very small market, so very high prices, or
b: something equivalent to a chop shop, stripping down stolen ships for parts.
Or a mixture of both, of course.

So maybe prices would be a LOT higher than usual, plus a good chance that the goods supplied will be second hand and much more likely to fail than usual.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I like the idea of this OXP - and I think it would be a good idea to both (1) make hermits, and especially pirated ones, rarer, (2) get the game to remember the locations of hermits between jumps, for a while (if it doesn't already).

**EDIT**: Should this thread be merged with this one? Just a thought.
Cody

Post by Cody »

UK_Eliter wrote:
(1) make hermits, and especially pirated ones, rarer, (2) get the game to remember the locations of hermits between jumps, for a while (if it doesn't already).
Pirate hermits are pretty rare already... and Oolite does remember hermit locations (and their names).
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cody wrote:
UK_Eliter wrote:
(1) make hermits, and especially pirated ones, rarer, (2) get the game to remember the locations of hermits between jumps, for a while (if it doesn't already).
Pirate hermits are pretty rare already... and Oolite does remember hermit locations (and their names).
Ah, OK. No work needs doing there, then (unless there's a desire to make the normal hermits rarer).
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I visit Hermits frequently and like to know their locations, so I hacked a Rock Hermit OXP. It has all three types from the core shipdata.plist with one added key for each entry and a descriptions.plist for the ASC Icon. It looks like a pick and shovel.

beacon = "Rock-Hermit";

{
	"Rock-Hermit" = // ASC icon
	(
		-3.5,	-7.0,
		-4.5,	-5.5,
		-1.0,	-0.75,
		-2.75,	2.0,
		-4.0,	0.0,
		-5.0,	2.0,
		-3.75,	4.75,