MFD Fast Configuration

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

MFD Fast Configuration

Post by phkb »

MFD's can be extremely useful, but there are times you'd just rather have a clear screen. Or maybe you'd prefer to have one set of MFD's for mining, and another for combat. But fiddling around with MFD layouts is time consuming and frustrating. MFD Fast Configuration aims to solve this problem by allowing you to set up 6 different MFD layouts and recall them as required. There are green, yellow and red condition sets, and one set can be set as the default for whenever you dock and launch.

There's more information in the readme.txt file or on the Wiki here: [EliteWiki] MFD Fast Configuration.

Download via the manager, or via this direct link: MFDFastConfiguration.oxz
Alternate download via box.com here: MFDFastConfiguration.oxz

I hope this helps make your MFD usage a bit more streamlined. Comments and feedback welcome!
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MFD Fast Configuration

Post by Day »

Oh Yessss !
Thank you phkb !
phkb

Post by phkb »

A happy customer! Yay! :D
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Just an idea : why not configuring it through a F4 menu rather than though an equipment ?
Something like the MFD configurator ?
phkb

Post by phkb »

I might do that as well. I liked the idea of doing it visually, though - getting things the way you want them, then setting it. Each HUD puts MFD's in different positions, so it can be confusing looking at a list of numerical positions and working out where exactly things are going to get positioned.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Ah, yes. I generally have one green window per MFD, always active ; so I don't use (and don't know how to use them) the keys to change the MFD used in a green window.

Another argument in favor of this: I already have too much equipments to cycle through when in flight.
But I understand that "too much equipments for a certain way to access them (cycle through them)" is more of a oolite ui deficiency (which might or not be addressed in the future); and so changing other things (this oxp) based on this might be useless work in the long run.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

This is a brilliant addition!
3371-Alpha
Poor
Poor

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I noticed there aren't any MFDs for Oolite 1.76.1. :( Is it possible to build any for it?
phkb

Post by phkb »

First of all, welcome aboard, commander!

MFD's were only available in version 1.80. If you're still on 1.76.1 I'm afraid you're out of luck! Unless there's a compelling reason to stay on 1.76.1 (perhaps you're using an OXP that hasn't been updated) I'd recommend upgrading to 1.82. There's a lot of cool new stuff, plus all the ship models were updated in 1.80, planet textures were improved, plus AI improvements and a whole raft of other juicy things. Well worth the upgrade.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Another great feature that was added in 1.80 was the download manager, so you can automatically install a lot of OXP's without ever leaving the game. No more messing about with extracting ZIP files to the AddOns folder (although you can still do that if you want).
3371-Alpha
Poor
Poor

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Well thats unfortunate. I'm on 1.76.1 because it's the last version that supports PowerPC processors. All newer versions require Intel Macs. Also sorry for taking so long to reply, end of years are always hectic for me.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
3.5GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (overclocked to 472.50MHz)
phkb

Post by phkb »

Would it be possible to use VirtualBox for Mac (try this link for a version that runs on OSX 10.5), create a VM with a Linux variant, and run Oolite 1.82 from there? No idea if that would work, but it might be worth a shot.
ocz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by ocz »

Another brilliant oxp by you.

@Menu based configuration:
I was working an an OXP (more like a library script (a script that either can be included into an OXP or be called on out of an OXP via worldScript)) that adds mission screens to the Mission Gui(F5F5) and Status Gui (F5). So like F5F5F5 and F5F5F5F5 screens, flexible addable by different OXPs. That OXP is in a very early stage and mostly exists as an idea since some weeks, as I'm currently bound to my work at a tutorial (as preperation for other OXP ideas of mine) and my work on the First Finance OXP (Still testing it's balance by playing :D). But those two things will both still take some time and I'm burning with desire to do something else.
I'll create a mockup, maybe even a usable version by tomorrow. If you're interested, I'll post a link.
phkb

Post by phkb »

ocz wrote:
I was working an an OXP (more like a library script (a script that either can be included into an OXP or be called on out of an OXP via worldScript)) that adds mission screens to the Mission Gui(F5F5) and Status Gui (F5).
Actually so am I! I've got a Bulletin Board system written that allows OXP's to add missions that can be accepted by the player, updates the manifest, initiates callbacks when the player accepts, terminates or completes the mission. It looks like we're both heading down the same path. But rather than derail the MFD Fast Config thread, I'll create a new thread where we can talk about it.
3371-Alpha
Poor
Poor

Post by 3371-Alpha »

phkb wrote:
Would it be possible to use VirtualBox for Mac (try this link for a version that runs on OSX 10.5), create a VM with a Linux variant, and run Oolite 1.82 from there? No idea if that would work, but it might be worth a shot.
Virtual Box is unfortunately intel only (believe me I checked). There's and app called "Q" however, based qemu, that allows ppc macs to run windows via emulation. Setup's a bit tedious though.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
3.5GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (overclocked to 472.50MHz)