Missile malfunction - bug or feature?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Missile malfunction - bug or feature?

Post by Fritz »

I don't use missiles regularly, but it seems to happen relatively often (about 25-50%) that they explode "in my face" immediately after launching. The missile appears visually on my windscreen, and then it looks as if I crash into it from behind. This happens with normal and hardened missiles. I didn't launch them at injector or torus speeds but possibly at or near normal top speed.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Missile malfunction - bug or feature?

Post by another_commander »

Most likely the missiles get ECM'ed immediately on launch. There is a chance that even a hardhead will detonate as a result of an ECM broadcast.
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

It happens to me too, there is no exhaust plume coming from the missiles I run into. If I launch one while my ship is not moving the missile will pause for a moment after being fired then take off displaying its exhaust plume. It happens on two different installations of linux (ubuntu rebecca and debian betsy) on the same platform. I can't reproduce it with a cobra III because the missile launch position is so low. I can reproduce it in a python with no oxps installed though.

Edit: seems like it only happens with core missiles, at least the missiles from the armory oxp are not affected this way.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

another_commander wrote:
Most likely the missiles get ECM'ed immediately on launch. There is a chance that even a hardhead will detonate as a result of an ECM broadcast.
Definitely not! It happens much too often for this, and it happens even when targeting "dead" objects. I just tested it against the navigation buoy and it happened 8 out of 10 times, even at 75 or 50 % speed. You can actually see yourself hitting the missile from behind! Strangely no damage is caused by this.

Edit: It can actually be that this happens only with the Python. I'm not absolutely sure, but it I can't remember this happening with the Cobra Mk III.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

I to have seen it sometimes with a python, just thought I was being unlucky as I was manoeuvreing hard at the time. Don't fly pythons or use missiles very much so hasn't worried me.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Changing the thrust of the missile in shipdata.plist doesn't change much, so it's not simply the ship catching up to the slowly accelerating missile.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

This is with a core Python, yes?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've witnessed it too, probably with a python.
And I also think it happens with NPCs as their missiles while they are fleeing often seem to be destroyed for no reason. They're not firing then, I am unlikely to hit the missile and an ECM isn't triggered. Maybe also with a Python, often appears as pirate leader. Not sure.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Cody wrote:
This is with a core Python, yes?
No, it's with my upgraded python. The only relevant difference to the core player python is speed, but as I said, the speed while launching the missile isn't the reason (it happens at 50% speed too). But I'll test it with the standard Python... just give me some minutes...

I just found out that it happens only when facing forward. That's why at least some missiles did their job in battle.

Edit: Yes, it happens with the standard Python too.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Does it with Griff's Python too - the missile fires, then hesitates/stops, the ship catches-up, and bang!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I think I could have found the reason:

There are two python models, slightly different in size and proportions (I already wondered about this!). Only the standard python ("oolite_template_python") has a missile_launch_position given in shipdata.plist:

missile_launch_position = "0.0 -2.2 63.5";

So the trader and player pythons which are based on the other, slightly bigger model use the same launch position which probably doesn't fit to the model.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Weird.
Bought a standard Python (Classic Ships replace set so like_ship'd to 'oolite_template_python-player') and it happened as described. Repeated but this time bought another (second) missile. Launched and targeted the bouy but switched to side external view before firing. Missile launched successfully. Switched back to main view and fired second missile. It stuttered but then did take off.
Both tests done at launch speed with no control inputs other than targeting and firing.
Not sure what this tells us.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

With my Python it does happen in the external views too. And even if the missile launches without mishap, you can see the short hesitating in the side view.

PS: I just destroyed the navigation buoy and fired missiles at the station, and my status is still "clean"... :roll:
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Anonymissimus wrote:
And I also think it happens with NPCs as their missiles while they are fleeing often seem to be destroyed for no reason.
I can confirm this now: My target fired three missiles, and only the third, which was was probably fired to the aft, didn't explode.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I don't know if this might help track the problem.
In one of the earlier realeses 1.65 or close above I had a Python, Not sure what it was called now. Was the big white boxy looking one with sharks grin painted on it. was a realy great ship that, made my first million in it.
But any way the same thing was occuring with hardened missiles, I know they were hardened because they were the best available at the time and always thought anything less just wasn't worth it.
I don't remember it happening as often and didn't think much of it at the time. Think I was always going quite fast but not sure whether I was chasing or heading into a battle with multiple baddies.
It's one of my tactics, target a few of the lesser ships with missiles to keep them busy while concentrating on the bigger threat.
I often over took my missiles while on injectors and just assumed I hit them. As with your situe, it never caused damage except to my purse.
Hope this is of some help.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!