Ship Respray OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Ship Respray OXP

Post by phkb »

I like being able to switch around my Cobbie to use some of the other player models from various OXP's I have installed. But it's a pain to have to edit the save game file to set each one. So I created a simple OXP to do all the work for me. Select "Ship Respray" from the F3 screen, then, if you have alternate versions of your current ship installed, you'll see a list of respray styles. Select one, and see what the respray looks like.

In this image you can see a list of different respray styles available:

In this image I've selected one of the styles and I can now see what it looks like.

This should work with whatever ship you are flying, not just a Cobbie Mk 3. It should also allow you to switch to whatever styles are supplied by any OXP you have installed. I've made an assumption that if the ship class type of an OXP ship is the same as the current player ship class (ie "Cobra Mark III"), it can be swapped out without any impact to the player. If that assumption is incorrect please let me know!

This OXP uses the ShipStorageHelper to update the players ship to the selected model.

This OXP is slightly different to the "Respray for Griffs" OXP by Capt Murphy, as this will work with OXP's other than Griffs, and in no-shader mode.

Download links:
OXP Version: This is a ZIP package that contains an OXP folder. Unzip the contents to your AddOns folder.
OXZ Version: Download this and save it directly to your AddOns folder.
Or you can download the addon via the download manager in Oolite.

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by phkb on Fri May 08, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Ship Respray OXP

Post by Potential Debris »

phkb wrote:
Let me know what you think.
I think it looks awesome, makes me wish I had a ship with lots of skins available (currently in a Terrapin). Maybe I'll buy a Python.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Very very very very good idea!
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

This is an excellent idea, I'm in favor of anything that lets the player add cosmetic touches to their ship easily. That's one of the things Oolite lacks, in my opinion, easy options to personalize a ship. Every ship /should/ have optional places to put decals or nose-art, or slightly randomized color schemes when purchased. I noticed a couple of older ship OXP's from Captain Solo (the Copperhead 2, etc) actually seem to do this, there's something in the shipdata that lets the color of the ship come in up to a dozen different styles when you see them in the shipyard. It's a very under-rated feature that attracted my eye.

'That one-- the cobalt blue one. I'll take it!'
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Layne wrote:
... there's something in the shipdata that lets the color of the ship come in up to a dozen different styles when you see them in the shipyard.
Griff's ships come in random colours - and most allow for custom decals too.
You might have to look in several shipyards to find the colour you want though.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Cody wrote:
Layne wrote:
... there's something in the shipdata that lets the color of the ship come in up to a dozen different styles when you see them in the shipyard.
Griff's ships come in random colours - and most allow for custom decals too.
You might have to look in several shipyards to find the colour you want though.
Seriously? I used the core ship set for weeks before reworking the look of the game with retro stuff, and I /never/ saw any of Griff's core ships in anything but a single color. There were addons with extra ship textures, sure, the variety packs for the Griff cobra, and such, but the core ship set? Only ever saw each ship in a single color at any shipyard I looked at... Not saying you're wrong, Cody, but I never saw that, for whatever reason.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Layne wrote:
I used the core ship set for weeks before reworking the look of the game with retro stuff, and I /never/ saw any of Griff's core ships in anything but a single color.
Griff's shipset was reworked by CaptSolo for the core game so as to be friendlier to older spec machines (i.e. shadery stuff).
Grab Griff's individual ship OXPs from here and take a look. The late-model Griff Cobra III that I fly has up to four decal slots.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Cody wrote:
Layne wrote:
I used the core ship set for weeks before reworking the look of the game with retro stuff, and I /never/ saw any of Griff's core ships in anything but a single color.
Griff's shipset was reworked by CaptSolo for the core game so as to be friendlier to older spec machines (i.e. shadery stuff).
Grab Griff's individual ship OXPs from here and take a look. The late-model Griff Cobra III that I fly has up to four decal slots.
No, no, I know about those, like I said, I was talking about the core ships from Griff. Do they come in different colors /without/ adding other OXPs, that's the question. Does a clean install of 1.80+ have Griff ships in different colors at the shipyard?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody wrote:
Griff's shipset is not the core shipset. Or perhaps I'm not understanding you?
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Cody wrote:
Cody wrote:
Griff's shipset is not the core shipset. Or perhaps I'm not understanding you?
Griff's ships were attached to 1.80 as the default ship set. They come with the standard Oolite download currently on the main site. The game still includes the original (Aegidian) ship set as a backup, but you have to change the setup to even get it to show. The default ship set for the current game download is based on Griff's models, probably altered by Captain Solo as you said. That makes them the de facto core shipset.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I give up - enjoy!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Semantics!
'Griff's Ships' is a suite of OXPs by Griff which are all-singing, all-dancing ships using shaders, normal maps etc. They are the sort of 'posh' ones for high-spec computers.
The current core set uses Griff's models (indeed the same ones) and were re-textured by Capt. Solo, originally as a non-shader version OXP of Griff's Ships for low-end computer users. Because of this user-friendliness, they were adapted for inclusion in the core game as the core set. They should not be refered to as 'Griff's Ships' as that title belongs to the normal_mapped (shadery) set.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

So, to enjoy Griff's best ships, we have to use his oxps?

His best ships are not in the 1.80 version, and not in the oxz manager, correct?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yes, and yes!
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Thank you Cody :) and Smivs and Layne for this interesting discussion.

I've some downloading and installing to do this evening...