[WIP] Nova Shuttle

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

[WIP] Nova Shuttle

Post by Vincentz »

Download : http://www.mediafire.com/download/3mxnx ... Series.zip

Disclaimer : The pack contains the 4 ships in the Nova Series together with a modified Start Choices by Spara, so its fast and easy to test the ships.
I hope this is ok with Spara, otherwise I'll remove it. I didnt change conditions, so its not for playing a game, but merely for checking out the new ships.
Also, keep in mind that these ships are VERY much still work in progress. Most configs are not done and textures might also change. Especially for the gunship, as I havent touched that one yet.

A new shuttle type spaceship have been spotted in close vicinity to V-tec Industries development factory.
While there have been no official announcement, a V-tec engineer have mentioned that the new 4-engine shuttle, named Nova Shuttle, will be a medium sized cargo transport with option to install passenger berths.

Size is 60m wide x 21m high x 94m long

further information will follow.

Last edited by Vincentz on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Nova Shuttle

Post by ClymAngus »

I like that. It is blocky and functional.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Thanks. It reminds me a little bit about the Firefly model ;)

Did a bit of retexturing. How much should it carry? 50 tons?

"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Vincentz wrote:
How much should it carry? 50 tons?
There is a bit of a gap in the market between the Cobra III and the Python ... so something like 40 tonnes, expandable to 55 might be a good range.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Why does everything have to be about cargo in this game? Why can't it fly low into the atmosphere then deploy a dozen paratroopers who parachute to the ground to conduct their secret mission?

Ninja assassin space paratroopers.

With only me/you/the player to stop them carrying out their nefarious mission, by shooting itsy-bitsy, little, hard-to-spot paratrooper targets close to the ground without accidentally flying into the ground.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Why does everything have to be about cargo in this game?
If you want something to be a player ship, then carrying cargo is one of the basic elements of gameplay. A ninja dropship is a fine thing, but there's no reason why a small-to-medium cargo carrier can't be retrofitted as a ninja-dropper - or why a dedicated ninja-dropper can't have its ninja pods stripped out and converted to cargo space.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Disembodied wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Why does everything have to be about cargo in this game?
If you want something to be a player ship, then carrying cargo is one of the basic elements of gameplay.
Why does everything have to be a player ship? Yes, yes, yes, but it just doesn't look like an interstellar freighter, of any capacity, to me. With or without ninjas, it looks like an aerospace passenger craft.

In any case, it looks good.
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

Wildeblood wrote:
but it just doesn't look like an interstellar freighter, of any capacity, to me. With or without ninjas, it looks like an aerospace passenger craft.

In any case, it looks good.
To be honest, the first thought I had was: "Dropship". Then: "Starship Troopers".
Yes it looks good. Very good.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Why does everything have to be a player ship? Yes, yes, yes, but it just doesn't look like an interstellar freighter, of any capacity, to me. With or without ninjas, it looks like an aerospace passenger craft.
Nobody's saying it has to be a player ship: I'd be happy to see this as a souped-up station-to-planet shuttle in some of the richer systems - a bulk version of the Transporter, perhaps. Even there, a cargo capacity would be required for the wiki entry, if for nothing else. It's Vincentz's baby, though.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

It was indeed a dropship in civ4 inspired from Space above and Beyond, which was a shortlived space series in the 90's :)

ImageImage

Recently, after I watched Firefly/Serenity for the (insert way too many times here), I got hooked on some spacesim (with E:D out and Star Citizen coming, but both out of my pc specs/$$$) I remembered this little thing called oolite. I was a big fan of Elite back in the days when ships were only made of polygons.
So I wanted to add a small/medium spacefreighter that had the feel of the Firefly'ish model. While I can obviously see why people think Dropship/Station2Planet transporter, I think I'm gonna make it a playership with AI roles such as Trader and Pirate Trader, but I might publish it as a short range transporter when I get to that point in development/publishing.
Thanks for the kind words, though I can't take credit for the model, as I haven't even adjusted a single thing. I only reskinned/configured it :D
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Parody is the serenest form of compliment. :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Dead good, was Space, Above and Beyond. Shame it got pulled. :(
At least one of the ships lives on... :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.