[Release] QTHI Auxiliary Energy Generators

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

[Release] QTHI Auxiliary Energy Generators

Post by QCS »

Quirium Tech Heavy Industries (QTHI) proudly presents their newest piece of equipment: Long known technology finally reinvented for the future. The Auxiliary Energy Generators by QTHI are basically a small chamber to burn a small amount of Quirium gas (Witchspace fuel) to drive a generator for ship energy.

Equipment
Auxiliary Energy Generator Basic device consisting of a Quirium burn chamber and a Generator, and the connection to the ship's energy grid. Built directly as Kit in 4TC cargo space. Since it is inside the ship, it generates some heat, so don't use it near the sun! It triggers automatically at a configurable energy level.

High-Tech Auxiliary Energy Generator
High tech device consisting of a Quirium burn chamber and a Generator, and the connection to the ship's energy grid. In difference to the low tech variant, this piece of equipment uses an energy barrier inforcement for the Quirium burn chamber, so it needs less space, but a little bit of Energy even when it is not active. Built directly as Kit in 2TC cargo space. Since it is inside the ship, it generates some heat, so don't use it near the sun! It triggers automatically at a configurable energy level.

Heavy High-Tech Auxiliary Energy Generator
High tech device consisting of a Quirium burn chamber and a Generator, and the connection to the ship's energy grid. Like the lighter, normal High-Tech variant, this piece of equipment uses an energy barrier inforcement for the Quirium burn chamber, so it needs less space, but a little bit of Energy even when it is not active. Built directly as Kit in 5TC cargo space, but also generates more energy. Since it is inside the ship, it generates some heat, so don't use it near the sun! It triggers automatically at a configurable energy level.

Light Auxiliary Energy Generator
High tech device consisting of a unique apparatus directly installed by QTHI inside of your witchdrive engines. Like the other High-Tech variants, this piece of equipment uses an energy barrier inforcement, but not for the Quirium burn chamber, it needs it for maintaining the Quirium flow. It does not take up precious cargo space, but when active, the Witchdrive engines are in Generator mode, thus disabling the original Witchspace engine functionality. Since it is located outside the ship, heat is not a problem, but the efficiency of the device is limited. It triggers automatically at a configurable energy level.

Known issues:
None.

Requirements
This OXP requires at least version 1.80 of Oolite.

Download
QTHI Auxiliary Energy Generators OXP V0.1.1 or via Ingame Expansion pack manager

Wiki page
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/QTHI_A ... rators_OXP
---
Old Post:

Long ago, at least on Sol (I guess), people invented something to inefficiently burn fuel to create energy when necessary. They called them Auxiliary Generators.

I am planning to bring them back (in fact, the very first version is already working, but this is of course only the crude beginning).

I am planning on at least two different types of generators. Both have in common that they burn Witchspace fuel to increase the energy regeneration rate for a few seconds.
I am thinking about 0.1LY fuel for 100 energy in 12.5s. Also, this device will create some heat (because it is built into the ship instead of outside on the hull).

I have tested a bit with this setup and I feel this adds a lot for very slow (unexperienced) players, and doesn't destroy too much because under heavy fire, this will not be sufficient at all to save you (in this case, only the Emergency Energy devices will help you).

The differences are:
- one is technologically higher developed than the other (TL 8 vs. 10)
- one has basically physical barriers to create the chamber in which the witchspace bubble is burnt (needs 5TC), one has an magnetically inforced barrier (needs only 3TC, but needs some energy all the time, even when not active)
- one costs a little more than the other (10.000Cr vs. 15.000Cr).

I can imagine to create additional generator chambers (2TC/1TC each) to stock up more than one generator, maybe max. 3?

Questions arising: Do I have to create some "lore" around this equipment or is this just a plus? Do I need to invent a "supplier" like a company?

Regards,
QCS
Last edited by QCS on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [WIP] Long forgotten technologies - Auxiliary Generators

Post by Smivs »

Hi QCS, and welcome to the Board. :)
Nice ideas, and I could see them being quite popular. As for backstory etc, why not? It's not essential, but these things can help make stuff 'fit in' better.
Good luck with it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! As Smivs says, a backstory is nice for several reasons, but by no means required.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome aboard, QCS, and welcome to the Dark Side! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

welcome.. its time to increase cookie production... the darkside is getting crowded...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

spud42 wrote:
welcome.. its time to increase cookie production... the darkside is getting crowded...
The more, the merrier :D .

How about a nuclear reactor using radioactives instead of a burnchamber for witchspace fuel? Does witchspace fuel burn anyway :wink: ?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
Does witchspace fuel burn anyway :wink: ?
Not in three dimensions.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

would that be the 5th Dimension????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

spara wrote:
How about a nuclear reactor using radioactives instead of a burnchamber for witchspace fuel?
Why stop at radioactives, why not burn everything in cargo for the last sip of energy? One could implement a value based on the species of the slave... What? You said "dark side" :twisted:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

QCS wrote:
One could implement a value based on the species of the slave...
Slave drive. That's something new indeed :lol: .
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Something like this, perhaps. :)
Mind you, stopping the air escaping could be tricky :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

spara wrote:
Slave drive.
Yes, every slave should be counted as a small energy source and consume some food. The drive can store 1000kg food internally, counting down when online and need another 1t after a large amount of produced energy.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

QCS wrote:
Auxiliary Generators
Interesting idea. Something to think about on the pricing
- energy recharge is as you say not the most crucial thing in a fight and won't keep you alive that much longer
- once you have an Extra Energy Unit (1500 credits, 0TC) it mainly stops being a problem, since at that point you can recharge both shields and the main energy banks at once
- the energy recharge boost is roughly equivalent to getting a temporary Naval Energy Unit. Nice in the early game, and competes with injectors for fuel, so that sounds about right.
- for something intended for unexperienced players, it seems very expensive. 10,000 credits (and also reduced future income from the smaller hold, in most careers) is more expensive than most of the core equipment. 1,000 credits (or perhaps slightly less as it's taking up 5TC and so losing you 100-150 credits of profit per trading trip) would be an interesting choice - cheaper than the Extra Energy Unit, but it uses precious fuel and takes cargo space. As it is, I think survivability would be increased more significantly by saving up just a little longer and buying Shield Boosters.
QCS wrote:
Why stop at radioactives, why not burn everything in cargo for the last sip of energy? One could implement a value based on the species of the slave... What? You said "dark side" :twisted:
Reminds me of the Druuge Mauler.
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

Hi cim,

thanks for your thorough explanations.
I did not want to make this device especially expensive, so your suggestions might be about right. I should in the same reasoning lower the tech grade a bit.

So next suggestion: TL5/7, 850Cr/1250Cr (just to have some halfway odd numbers), 4TC/2TC.
Additional devices (up to 3) come at a slight efficiency decrease for 2TC/1TC and 300/700Cr.

I may also add some really higher-fashioned high-power generator at TL10/5TC with no expansions which may come at 9999Cr just for those who need every piece of equipment which *may* help (think about the occasional massive ECM fire, or needing to power special high-class holodeck suites for rich passengers). This generator has a higher raw output and efficiency than the TL5 reactors at maximum configuration due to being an optimized single package.

Sounds good?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

I think the basic idea is a good one and that the use of fuel rather than cargo keeps it simple (and visible on the HUD too...)

As cim points out, that it would compete for resources with the highly useful injectors should help to keep its use in check.

Surprised no one thought of it sooner - a cheap (I would suggest) answer to what to do when 3/4 of the way down that last energy bank in the early game (when it's a more frequest occurrence). Nice 8)