New Arrival in search for Fighter HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Archer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

New Arrival in search for Fighter HUD

Post by Archer »

Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I'm a "new" commander to Oolite who used to be a hardened Elite player in the good old days when sex was dirty and the air was clean. Must have been the mid 80s. :-) Later I also played Frontier Elite 2 and First Encounters. While reading about the new Elite: Dangerous I came upon Oolite - a little late as I discovered since it has been around a while without my noticing. I truely love it. Although it's not up to specs with modern games it looks very nice and provides the old feeling Elite gave me on the C64 and the Amiga. Very well done.

I especially like all the work people here have invested into all the expansions and would like to thank you all for all the hard work that must have gone into them.

The BGS expansion is quite beautiful and that's basically what I wanted to ask about:
In the pictures of the BGS article within the Ooolite Wiki the Fighter HUD by CaptKevs is shown. Unfortunatly the links to the download of the fighter HUD are no longer working. Is that expansion no longer compatible, or are the servers just down. If so, is there any other source where to get it? I think it's by far the coolest HUD out there.

Thanks again everyone.
Best regards
Archer
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Arrival in search for Fighter HUD

Post by spara »

Looks like the links are dead indeed. Get MkII here: https://app.box.com/s/wvrm4lus7tquzkeodob0.

Note that this is an old HUD oxp and is missing some features of the current Oolite. Most notably MFDs. Maybe someone will do a proper update to this classic sometime.

And welcome to the forums :D .
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I made a quick update on the HUD and it looks like this:

* Four MFDs added to the sides
* Primed equipment dial added to the bottom
* Weapons off line text in the middle
* ASC target next to the compass
* Waypoint display enabled

If no one has done anything more ambitious (Cody?), I'll update this HUD with these additions.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
If no one has done anything more ambitious (Cody?)
PM incoming!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thanks Cody, I'll see what I can use of it.

I'll keep the hud as original as possible. The small ship screen need some scripting and new core images:
Cody

Post by Cody »

I've always preferred the MKI version, as I really don't need to see which ship I'm flying - I know that.
If I was able to tinker properly, I'd do away with that small ship and cram an MFD-type thingy in there.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
I've always preferred the MKI version, as I really don't need to see which ship I'm flying - I know that.
If I was able to tinker properly, I'd do away with that small ship and cram an MFD-type thingy in there.
Cool idea, I'll test it.
Archer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Archer »

Wow that was fast! Thank you everybody. Especially Spara for link and the quick update with the MFDs. I haven't used an HUD with MFDs before. How can I switch them on and off?
Will try the classic for tonight, but I'm looking forward to the updated one when it's finished. Thanks so much and have a nice evening.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cool - and welcome aboard!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Archer wrote:
Wow that was fast! Thank you everybody. Especially Spara for link and the quick update with the MFDs. I haven't used an HUD with MFDs before. How can I switch them on and off?
Will try the classic for tonight, but I'm looking forward to the updated one when it's finished. Thanks so much and have a nice evening.
In the core game MFDs have very little use, but look for MFD expansions from the HUD section in the expansion pack manager in-game. The default HUD has two MFDs defined and you can operate them with ";" and ":" in the default key configuration.

The updated Fighter Hud may take a little while depending on my spare time. But it will come :) .
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Welcome Archer! Like your TV series :wink:
spara wrote:
Cody wrote:
Cool idea, I'll test it.
Not a new idea but what I'd really like to see in there is the ship/entity that you are targeting.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Redspear wrote:
Welcome Archer! Like your TV series :wink:
spara wrote:
Cody wrote:
Cool idea, I'll test it.
Not a new idea but what I'd really like to see in there is the ship/entity that you are targeting.
yes please.. thats the first thing i thought of when i read cody's idea of getting rid of it.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Redspear wrote:
Ha, might be a bit embarrassing if you look down to see the ship that has just decimated your shields and wiped out half your equipment is a Worm :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Redspear wrote:
Ha, might be a bit embarrassing if you look down to see the ship that has just decimated your shields and wiped out half your equipment is a Worm :lol:
I daresay that would be quite a Wonderous experience.. :lol:

Which actually brings up the main obstacle to such a feature.. dealing with OXP-added ships.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Which actually brings up the main obstacle to such a feature.. dealing with OXP-added ships.
While OXPers could reasonably easily (if slightly time-consuming) put in pictures for all core ships, I think the right way to do this would be to have a "targetModel" HUD dial, which re-renders the target to an appropriate position and scale (and probably with the correct orientation relative to the player ship, too). Could render it as a textured+lit 3-D object, or as a flat-colour wireframe.

This isn't entirely straightforward to do because it involves a rendering mode switch in an inconvenient place, but should be possible. Whether I have time to look at it before 1.82 I have no idea, but maybe someone else will.