does the miner cobra mk III needs rebalancing ?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

does the miner cobra mk III needs rebalancing ?

Post by spud42 »

i dont have many OXZ installed and most are eye candy. I am not even sure what OXZ this ship came in but from the screen shot i think this miner cobra is way under priced. considering that the basic Cobra MkIII above it is 230,000Cr the miner with all of that equipment AND 15 passenger bays is only 207,000Cr? If i could sell all those passenger bays it would be the bargin of the century... or is that why the cheap price? nobody wants to buy a cobra that can only haul passengers?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: does the miner cobra mk III needs rebalancing ?

Post by Norby »

Miner Cobra OXP is a small product by me, here is the readme which explain the reasons:

"New commanders often wants more cargo space for trading or mining. The stock Cobra MkIII is a large ship which can hold 75t cargo after a reconstruction for the following tradeoffs:

-one less energy bank (3),
-one less energy generator (3),
-two less missile pylon (2),
-no side laser mounts,
-no further cargo bay extension.

Equipped with a Mining Laser and a Fuel Scoop to make money from asteroids.

Costs only 107000 credits which mean any commander can get it in exchange for a stock Cobra MkIII."
spud42 wrote:
If i could sell all those passenger bays
You can and you will receive 1500 credits. Buying them costs 15*825=12375 credits. These equipments are added by the core game, I think calculated well and you was enough lucky to get all of these. A stock Cobra3 costs 150000 credits in shipyard.pist, so the ship in your screenshot surely equipped well also.

Miner Cobra has not an OXZ version yet but if we found out an acceptable balance then I can make it.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

that makes this a very tempting offer. but i dont think i have enough funds to trade my ship in on this one yet.... especially with the extra energy bank, military shields and military laser... now if i could only get a loan and trade to pay it off........
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

a little OT:Do you need a skin for the miner cobra instead of the stock one?
Amah
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

The OXZ version of [EliteWiki] Miner Cobra is available in the expansion manager with updated graphics by Z_Groovy:

Amah wrote:
Do you need a skin for the miner cobra instead of the stock one?
Your works are great also, but as you see I selected one just before your post. Another benefit is that the model is replaced also to Griff's shadered one, which can glow the main gun when the front laser is overheated, etc.
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

no problem :-) Here's what I was cludging together:

I'm using it as a theme for the customisable plaver cobra project I'm currently working on.
Amah
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Norby wrote:
These equipments are added by the core game, I think calculated well and you was enough lucky to get all of these.
My guess: you have "chance=1.0;" in shipyard.plist. This makes the ship much more likely to appear in shipyards, but the problem is that when allocating additional equipment ships have (roughly! it's a little more complex in practice):
* A "chance" probability of having one extra item
* A "chance^2" probability of having two extra items
* A "chance^3" probability of having three extra items.
* ...and so on for ever...

This works fine unless the chance is exactly 1.0, and then the ship gets - guaranteed - every item on its optional equipment list, including as many passenger cabins as its cargo hold can take.

(The interaction between the "chance" value and the ship actually appearing in the shipyard is sufficiently complex I'm not even going to try to figure out the details to explain them. It may get simplified to the point where it can be documented for 1.82, if I get time)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Thanks cim, now I reduced the chance in v1.2 and problem solved. :)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

awesome. then if this is an oxp then i will remove it and add the oxz version. i do like to add a variety of ships to my ooniverse but so long as they are not unbalancing the game. looks like the odds for getting the ship i did would be greater then the odd for winning powerball!!
OR i could go with
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
looks like the odds for getting the ship i did would be greater then the odd for winning powerball!!
Almost everything has better odds than winning powerball.. even getting struck by lightning!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
spud42 wrote:
looks like the odds for getting the ship i did would be greater then the odd for winning powerball!!
Almost everything has better odds than winning powerball.. even getting struck by lightning!
Did you know that dying by being struck on the head by a falling coconut is more common than dying by being struck by lightning? That means you're more likely to be killed by a coconut than to win powerball. Actually... about 50 people per year are killed by coconuts, and there's a powerball draw once a week, so the odds are just about the same.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Actually... about 50 people per year are killed by coconuts, and there's a powerball draw once a week, so the odds are just about the same.
There's a draw once a week, yes.. but there's not a winner every week.. often the top prize isn't won, so it jackpots.. so the odds for being killed by a coconut are still better.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Norby wrote:
Thanks cim, now I reduced the chance in v1.2 and problem solved. :)
OXZ installed and working. small matter of the name of the ship, it no longer shows as a Miner Cobra MkIII just a Cobra MkIII when you browse ships to buy.
OR i could go with
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

spud42 wrote:
small matter of the name of the ship
Thank you, fixed in [EliteWiki] Miner Cobra v1.3.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Norby wrote:
spud42 wrote:
small matter of the name of the ship
Thank you, fixed in [EliteWiki] Miner Cobra v1.3.
just updated with the oxz manager to 1.3 did a restart and its still only showing as a cobra Mk III . unless i am mistaken but i have 2 cobras on my for sale list one is the std cobra no extra equipment and 230,000Cr i also have another one with galactic hyper drive military shields and a passenger berth at 207,000Cr . there is a difference between the models the stock cobra has a fancy paint job the 207,000Cr has a plain paint job and different "engine covers"?? the same as in my original screenshot and your screenshot. It does not have the same "paint job " as your screenshot.
OR i could go with
or simply