[Release] retroRefit OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

[Release] retroRefit OXZ

Post by Smivs »

Here is my contender for the title 'Least downloaded OXZ ever' :P

When the graphics were updated for Oolite v1.80 the models and textures of the venerable old Elite style ships were left in the download (so that any OXP which used them would still work) but there was no way of using them or even seeing them. This has already been a problem for me with another project I currently have on the go. So I made retroRefit.
Quite simply, it bypasses the new ships and restores all the old entities back into the game. It has the faster station rotation as well, but I have ensured that it is useable in v1.80 by applying the new role set etc. In a nutshell it is a hybrid of the v1.77 (or v1.79 - I can't remember now) shipdata.plist and code from cim's Shipset Compatibilty OXZ.
Although unlikely, others may want the old ships, or need them for some reason as well, so I have uploaded retroRefit as an OXZ.

Notes:
As it is based on an old (non template) shipdata.plist this will not be a suitable base for developing other expansions.
To revert back to the current default ships the OXZ will need to be removed/disabled.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] retroRefit OXZ

Post by spud42 »

would this help with framerates on my netbook?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
Quite possibly, I'd say.. but there's only one way to know for sure..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

spud42 wrote:
Possibly. It depends on whether texture file sizes are the problem. The old Cobra III texture is 277.6 kB whereas the new one is 1.6 MB, so noticeably bigger. The texture for the WIP Classic Lite shipset Cobby III is 334.4 kB, so again much smaller than the current default. This set will be a great lightweight alternative to the current set but of course release is still some way off.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

i made this for myself to grab screenshots of the old default ships and made it public just in case anybody needed to do something similar. I expected maybe half a dozen downloads. So I am quite surprised to see that it has actually been downloaded 251 times to date.
However, with the release of The Classic Ships I am minded to withdraw retroRefit, as much as anything to avoid any confusion between the two. I hope nobody will mind if I do this. I am happy to supply a copy to anybody who wants it - just pm or email me.