[WIP] HPC Solaris Station - Screens 17-09-2014

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[WIP] HPC Solaris Station - Screens 17-09-2014

Post by dertien »

I wanted to make this a seperate topic since there will probably be other stations following this one, when it is done, and although it is made to function with the HPC pack, it is not part of it.

Just a few WIP screenshots for you all. Solaris is coming along nicely. The difference with the first shots earlier, is that now a lot of the identical subentities have been separated; which makes for around 3150 Polys instead of 8750 polys if I would not have reused some parts like the ring sections for example. It will also be possible to reuse some of the details on this station on upcoming ones, just as was done with shippack.

Anyway, screenshots below and comments are welcome and yes it will differ from the station it got its roots from hence the namechange.

Image Image Image Image Image

Expect release within a week or two; also busy with RL projects at the moment.

Laterz
Last edited by dertien on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] HPC Solaris Station - Coming up next

Post by Redspear »

Looks very promising and I'm eagerly awaiting both the release and the possibilty of other stations...

<drool>Those pictures look fantastic dertien. Well done :-D</drool>
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] HPC Solaris Station - Coming up next

Post by dertien »

Thanks Redspear, needless to say I 'm having a ball with this: Besides, there is a competition for fan art on the ED website, so I will send them some screenshots and if possible an ingame movie from this station in action for the 30 th anniversary of Elite.

New screens; solaris ring is done, will probably remove some unnecessary details. There starts to be a noticeable difference between the ED station and this one.

Image Image Image Image

Njoy.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] HPC Solaris Station - Screens 17-09-2014

Post by Pleb »

Wow this is looking amazing dertien! Keep up the good work! :D
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Wow, that looks fantastic! :D Excellent work!
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

just wow!
Amah
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Thanks People,

The modeling work on Solaris Station is now done... This is probably going to be a very long shipdata.plist, given all the subentities on this one, so that might take a while. The station needs to be resized too, since it is now roughly the size of a Cobra MK 3. Given the two lanes on the docking bay in the last picture, you get the idea how big this station will be. You will not need an ASC to find this one trust me :).

Latest screenshots:

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

This is looking amazing dertien. Can't wait to see a textured version! :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

As a little news update on the Station:

Since I did not get any negative comments on the ED BB I will release the station as soon as its done.

I am now in the process of cutting her up and seperating the different parts that will be reused. Then it will be a matter of putting all those different xyz and rotation values in a plist file. Yes Smivs it will be a long one again :D.

Then I will need to texture-test the different parts and that takes a while.

There is also this RL Android app I am working on and that is taking up most of my time, and there is ... also playing ED when I get the time off :roll: .

So I am working on it and rest assured that this has not been shelved, its just that a day has only 24 hours in it, alas not 48.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

How is the station coming along?
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

I had a bit of a burnout for the last couple of months and haven't been working on it. I have done work on the Adder for the last couple of days and will probably finish that one first. Knowing that the station can sport its rings at the front and the back, or even without will give me the ability to create different stations using the same blocks.

I will get into this as soon as the Adder is done.
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

It is been long time, I would love to see this station in Oolite someday. Are you still planning to finish it? Anything I could help with?

ps. If I would like to make re-textures for Your other models of ships, can I ask for permission? Models are lovely and I would like to make realistic textures for these (although I am better in 3d than 2d, but still I would like to try). Talking about these threads:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16698
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=15835
+ let me know if there is something else. ;)

I am currently working on Tide ship for Pioneer: https://pioneerspacesim.net/forum/viewt ... 5063#p5063
after finishing it for Pioneer I would like to contribute something to Oolite too.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome ddeo in the Ooniverse!

You already have permission to improve these packs because a proper licence is included in these (cc-by-nc-sa 3.0), even if the author is not responding. It is not necessary to delay your work and risking to forgot it during a long waiting period. There are many players here who like new things so please do it. :)
ddeo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ddeo »

Thanks Norby and also hello to everybody,
This sounds great, I am not sure yet how things do work technically (besides that the models are made in Wings3d), I will look into it when I will finish ship model for Pioneer. Already checked and as far as I know it is possible to import/export models between Wings3d and Blender, I work in the latter.

But that's it for sticking out of topic. :)
I would like to hear any news about Solaris Station, it looks incredible. Hope to hear any news from dertien, pm sent regarding this topic.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

dertien wrote: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm
I had a bit of a burnout for the last couple of months and haven't been working on it. I have done work on the Adder for the last couple of days and will probably finish that one first. Knowing that the station can sport its rings at the front and the back, or even without will give me the ability to create different stations using the same blocks.

I will get into this as soon as the Adder is done.
ddeo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 am
Thanks Norby and also hello to everybody,
This sounds great, I am not sure yet how things do work technically (besides that the models are made in Wings3d), I will look into it when I will finish ship model for Pioneer. Already checked and as far as I know it is possible to import/export models between Wings3d and Blender, I work in the latter.

But that's it for sticking out of topic. :)
I would like to hear any news about Solaris Station, it looks incredible. Hope to hear any news from dertien, pm sent regarding this topic.
Is any version of this Solaris station still available? There seem to be no download links...

And ditto for the Adder...

The Sidewinder and Cobra are already on the wiki: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Z_GrOovy_HPC_pack
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?