[WIP] The Collector v0.4

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

[WIP] The Collector v0.4

Post by Norby »

Mossfoot made a new story for this mission pack after his Tales of Woe. I enjoyed both so I think you will also. :)

The story is divided into stages like in Gamebooks so your choices affects the story. The current test version contain the first 7 stage, please report any problems. Much more is written by mossfoot already which will be published in the following versions.

Available in the Missions section in oxz manager.
Check [EliteWiki] The Collector's wiki page for more information.
Last edited by Norby on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] The Collector v0.2

Post by Norby »

Holmes177 wrote:
Now how to find and enter the canteen?
Congratulations, you asked for the first built-in secret where the exact answer is a spoiler. ;)

There are more logical teaser in the package what I would not like to uncover and please do not shout out after found it. I can ensure you that everything is solvable, maybe not at the first time but you can build up your observations.

[spoiler]
Imagine yourself not as a player who installed an OXP but a pilot who knows nothing about the possibilities. What you should do?
[/spoiler]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] The Collector v0.3

Post by Diziet Sma »

@ Norby - In lieu of the spoiler tags the BB doesn't have (and yes, board admins, you can consider this yet another request for them to be added! :twisted: ) you could always use ROT13 to obfuscate any spoilers you post.. like so:

Vzntvar lbhefrys abg nf n cynlre jub vafgnyyrq na BKC ohg n cvybg jub xabjf abguvat nobhg gur cbffvovyvgvrf. Jung lbh fubhyq qb?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Followed a hint in the system I was in, went there, explored for an hour, found nothing :(
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Maybe you missed a small part of the hint, you can read again if you go back. Worth to make screenshots from the instructions with the "*" key, in this way you can review anytime in your oolite-saves/snapshots folder.

Svefg lbh fubhyq abg frnepu gur znva bowrpg ohg fbzrguvat juvpu uryc gb qrgrezvar gur ebhtu cbfvgvba. Gura lbh pna hfr lbhe rlrf juvpu qrgrpg bowrpgf snegure guna lbhe fpnaare.

If you still not found then ask in PM.
Thard
Poor
Poor

Post by Thard »

I found the station, once. Regrettably, I got cocky and made a hash of docking - resulting in an explosion, and a GAME OVER. When I went back to where I found it before, I was unable to locate the station. Does it move?

If someone could PM me with a little help, I'd certainly appreciate it!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Welcome Thard in the Oolite forum! :)

I see the station quest is harder than supposed, so I say in public: the station is not moving and always there. There is a technical reason of this: the core game allow to save your game in stations with fix coordinates only.

In the next version I will implement some more help into the gameplay.
Thard
Poor
Poor

Post by Thard »

Norby wrote:
Welcome Thard in the Oolite forum! :)

thank you! It's a pleasure to be here!

Norby, congratulations on adding a portion to the game that has engrossed me for hours.

- Thard
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I too am having problems with The Collector.

I got to the system where he lives and have searched the asteroid field and all around the sun.

No joy. I don't know if this is relevant, in one of my tries (restarting from saved game where I got the clue to his location, I was unable to dock with a rock hermit. My Cobra went straight through the asteroid and out the other side.

Could there be an OXP conflict?

I will uninstall this mission soon - I want to play, not be frustrated! I've tried about 6 times.

I have found these in my saved game:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_$TheCollectorMissionStage</key>
	<string>3</string>
	<key>mission_$TheCollectorTimes</key>
	<string>[null,180065380503.34525,180065380531.74103,180070228513.0782]</string>
I will remove them. Is this also part of the Collector?

<key>mission_CCL_OXPStrength</key>
	<string>9</string>
Does anybody know if there are any others I can remove?

Alternatively can anybody tell me what to look for and where? I have tried rock hermits (1) Asteroids (lots) and stations (none).

Thanks
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

davcefai wrote:
Is this also part of the Collector?

<key>mission_CCL_OXPStrength</key>
	<string>9</string>
No, this is placed by the Cabal Common Library.

I do not think that this oxp can cause your rock hermit problem, so I do not recommend to remove the variables from your savegame. In the next version locating the station will be easier as requested.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

@norby

Thanks for this. I know that one should never ask but.... Do you have some approximate idea when you will release the next version?

Regards
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] The Collector v0.4

Post by Norby »

Ok, [EliteWiki] v0.4 is ready with some help in finding the station.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Please take this as feedback rather than criticism.

The station is now easily findable. I suspect that with v0.3 it wasn't there at all! The differences between V0.3 and 0.4 are:
1.The sun is now a looong way away: 6 minutes from the witchpoint at hyperspeed.
2. There are a LOT more asteroids in v0.4.

I found it impossible to complete the first mission. I tried 6 times and each time took 66.4 hrs but was always pipped to the post by the other chap. On return to the station I simply got offered the same mission again.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

davcefai wrote:
Please take this as feedback rather than criticism.
I will say thank you for both so please tell any opinion.
davcefai wrote:
The station is now easily findable.
Good to hear. :)
davcefai wrote:
I suspect that with v0.3 it wasn't there at all!
The station is placed to the same absolute coordinates by the same populator code which is not changed at all. This is a requirement to be able to load a game which is saved in a custom station and I can load in v0.4 what I saved in v0.3 so I am pretty sure that the station is not moved. ;)
davcefai wrote:
The sun is now a looong way away
Previously I underestimated the disturbing effect of the new sun glare in 1.80. I use [wiki] Realistic_Stars[/wiki] which move every sun very far and when I tested once without this oxp then another smaller sun-mover oxp was still in effect unfortunately, so I just now noticed and fixed this problem by moving this specific sun farther.

I suggest [wiki]TorusToSun[/wiki] OXP to reduce travel times to any sun. Another way is using TAF which need a developer release.
davcefai wrote:
I found it impossible to complete the first mission. I tried 6 times and each time took 66.4 hrs but was always pipped to the post by the other chap. On return to the station I simply got offered the same mission again.
There is a trick which can save enough time so you need think a bit. Please do not post it here if you find out and ask in PM if not. The repeated offer is intentional, you must complete this stage to go further.
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

When I get to Qrivy'f Gevnatyr (ROT13) am I supposed to get another message? I jumped back and forth there for a while and never heard anything...

In case it makes a difference, I am using Trunk.
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."