[RELEASE] Better Buoys OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

[RELEASE] Better Buoys OXZ

Post by Smivs »

Version 1.3 now available.

A little OXZ to re-texture the standard buoys in v1.80.
These are the old buoys we've had for ever and don't really fit in with the new graphics, so this just adds a more detailed texture (from the current 'Accessories' OXP) to pep things up a bit.

Grab it via the wiki, or the Expansions Manager.
Last edited by Smivs on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Better Buoys OXZ

Post by Diziet Sma »

I think it's been said before, but given how the rest of the graphics have been upgraded, these really ought to be the new standard buoy in Oolite.

(And since I don't think it could really be classed as a "feature", code-wise at least, perhaps it could be added to 1.80 before release?)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Diziet Sma wrote:
(And since I don't think it could really be classed as a "feature", code-wise at least, perhaps it could be added to 1.80 before release?)
No, it would be a new feature. Anything added, including resource files, has potential to break something. In case of graphics files for example, an incorrect usage or existence/non existence of an alpha channel could be a cause of bugs.

Any additions to the core are to be considered for after 1.80 at this point.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fair enough..

Hey, you can't blame me for trying.. :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... these really ought to be the new standard buoy in Oolite.
Thanks Diz :)
I'd obviously be more than happy to see this happen, so if this is what we want can somebody give me a spec to work on and I'll get it up to speed. Is a 512x512px with perhaps an illumination map burned into the alpha channel what we want? This one uses a separate emission map but either would work well, and the alpha-channel illumination option would propbably be a smaller file overall.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

v1.1 now available.

v1.1 features two designs so there are now specific Navigation Buoy and Witchpoint Buoy variants. These now have improved flashers and more detailed graphics. There have also been some 'under-the-hood' changes, pincipally to the Textures which now follow the default-ship specification of 512x512px diffuse_maps with an alpha-channel greyscale emission_map.

Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I think it's been said before, but given how the rest of the graphics have been upgraded, these really ought to be the new standard buoy in Oolite.
Yes the old buoys are too hard to see. I've been using Deep Horizons' because they show up better. New buoys with flashers would be nice, looks great Smivs. :D
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

These look amazing!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

:oops: Version 1.2 is now out - bugfix to give witchpoint buoys a 'W' beacon (not 'N') on the compass. Sorry.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Even more sorry. v1.3 now available. This bugfix stops the player ship from being flown back to the witchpoint when engaging the docking computer :lol:

Hopefully this OXZ is now fully OK.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Even more sorry. v1.3 now available. This bugfix stops the player ship from being flown back to the witchpoint when engaging the docking computer :lol:

Oh man.. I'd love to have seen the look on your face when that happened to you! :mrgreen:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
This bugfix stops the player ship from being flown back to the witchpoint when engaging the docking computer...
That is an absolute cracker, Smivs - a welcome laugh on a Monday morning!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks chaps :) It certainly made me laugh, once the initial moment of total perplexedness passed. i don't know what the Thargoid Warship i encountered made of me, making a bee-line for the witchpoint at flank speed with the Blue Danube blaring from the speakers. He got off a couple of shots (and curses) then gave up!