Explosion clouds

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Explosion clouds

Post by ZygoUgo »

Halloo all, I have been tinkering with the explosion effect textures and cannot see where oolite-particle-cloud.png appears, does anyone know so I can test how it looks? Thankyou! :)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Explosion clouds

Post by cim »

At the moment it isn't - only oolite-particle-cloud2.png is used. The plan at some point is to use both textures (and maybe allow more than 2) but I didn't get around to implementing that for 1.80.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Thank you Cim, multiple random ones sounds very cool, will it be possible to have them sometimes affected by colour for ship explosions, if the game can distinguish between asteroids and powered vessels? That way we could fit in the occasional burst of gas and quirrium flame, and clouds of dust for the asteroids? Don't know how you colour them as is but the odd green or quirrium blue & pink cloud would be very cool. I would gladly come up with as many shape variants as I can imagine to look good.
At the moment I have added a bit more flash and splash to the basic cloud, ill put it up as an oxp WIP for now. Thanks again for your reply, saved me some serious searching about there :)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Colouring: at the moment each cloud is made up of several (more are used in "extra detail" graphics mode) overlapped and offset explosion textures, each of which is coloured so that R > G > B, which gives an initial mix of whites, yellows and oranges. As the explosion effect continues and expands, each cloud first has its blue channel dropped out, then the green, then the red, so it fades white->yellow->orange->red->black.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Cool, clever stuff :) There is variation in the use of the texture I have produced where they are overlapped, noticed that, but I'm definately up for more variation. The only thing I would say at the moment is that the explosion seems a little too quick, apart from that they're pretty damn good.
So to get a quirrium coloured flash would be to fade B>R>G, and a gas blast G>B>R, in theory, is that in anyway scriptable?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

ZygoUgo wrote:
So to get a quirrium coloured flash would be to fade B>R>G, and a gas blast G>B>R, in theory, is that in anyway scriptable?
Not yet. It should be possible to add that sort of customisation in future, though.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

I could have fun with that :D
Here's the current I'll post up for now for those that want it..
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddr5t ... on.oxp.zip

EDIT:
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I should say, I am so proud of the work being done on Oolite ATM. I recall fondly getting the early explosions right, these are better and more beautiful by far.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

I am honoured your grace 8)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----